Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Arrest every single protester who caused damage/harm Watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1487346
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ministerdonut)
    I wish the cops had shot the dirty scum who abused prince charles and camilla. Ironically they and the royal family are not responsible for the tutition fee changes, so why they think picking on them does their cause any good.... no idea.

T

The protesters who attacked Charles car came within seconds of being shot. The police were about to draw their guns as the car managed to drive off.

ReputationRep:
    Prosecute every single person who engaged in an illegal activity during these protests, that includes the extreme vandalism.

How on earth is damaging police vans and public property in London acceptable? The way they were breaking down the glass of the Tory HQ, unbelievable.

This is the problem, students want to go protest but chavs, thugs and scumbags see it as an opportunity to hijack it as if it's an opportunity to exercise their desire to commit crime without having to suffer the consequence.

I think people should have a right to protest but in all honestly...what the **** does it achieve? It made and will not make ANY difference to the cause of having the policy changed, if anything these protests have just made 'students' look ****. It's just people with too much free time on their hands protesting for the sake of protesting, yeh let's gather around as a huge violent crowed throwing **** around, pissing on historical monuments, breaking windows and police cars....because that's going to get the government wanting to change the policy won't it? :dry:

Seriously it's just stupidity on a whole new level, and the messed up thing is that those low-life scumbags are nothing like the real every-day students of this country yet now they're representing us in the media.

Arrest them, prosecute them, make them pay to send out a message to all those *******s just waiting to hijack future protests.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jono404)
    Is it just me who doesn't care? The government had made it clear long before the vote they would not be reasoned with
    The government backed the Browne Review, which had already consulted widely and come to reasoned and justified conclusions. The government will not and should not change its policies because a small gang of thugs take to the streets and cause a hullabaloo.

ReputationRep:
    though i disagree with the violence, a part of me feels quite excited by all this :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    The protesters who attacked Charles car came within seconds of being shot. The police were about to draw their guns as the car managed to drive off.
    Quite right. I'm glad to hear that the Prince and Duchess weren't in any real danger, but I suspect she was quite shaken up all the same. Absolutely mindless attack.

I absolutely despise the reputation this sort of thing will give students: that we're all disrespectful layabout scum. But it does raise the question: where were the decent ones when the yobs were smashing government windows, swinging on the cenotaph or harassing the heir to the Throne?

Why does it only seem to be little schoolgirls who can stand up to this sort of violence?

ReputationRep:
    Makes me sad to think that these people really don't appreciate the wonders of democracy. An absolute disgrace. Scenes are reminiscent of something in Iran. I thought we were better than this.

ReputationRep:
    I think people are forgetting that a lot of the criminal damage and violence was in response to being subjected to extremely inappropriate police action. I'm not a violent person, and I'm not the kind of person who would cause criminal damage- but if I was kept without food, water, heat or toilet facilities for 6 hours, and was charged by police, police horses and beaten by police just for being in the wrong place at the wrong time- if my friend was beaten unconscious, or pushed to the ground, or had a bone broken by these policemen- I can't guarantee that I wouldn't be breaking windows.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam_zed)
    Well no actually. If I commit an atrocity against another country, does this country then deserve everything they will get?

Indeed this country belongs to everyone. That is why the students protest. With your pram comment, you are basically denouncing the right to voice opposition to what is actually going to effect many, many people. Add to that the fact that as someone who witnessed it, I can tell you now that a lot of the people getting hyped up for trouble as they got out of the tubes were unlikely to have been students.
    the fact that you chose to ignore the rest of my comments speaks volumes.

You've missed the point. This country belongs to everyone, including the very tax payer that subsidises your fees. Barring the NHS and the environment agency (well something to do with that anyway) every single government department is being cut. 42,000 members of the armed forces and the MoD civilian staff are being made redundant for crying out loud.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missygeorgia)
    I think people are forgetting that a lot of the criminal damage and violence was in response to being subjected to extremely inappropriate police action. I'm not a violent person, and I'm not the kind of person who would cause criminal damage- but if I was kept without food, water, heat or toilet facilities for 6 hours, and was charged by police, police horses and beaten by police just for being in the wrong place at the wrong time- if my friend was beaten unconscious, or pushed to the ground, or had a bone broken by these policemen- I can't guarantee that I wouldn't be breaking windows.
    The police have, and always will, safeguard the right of the people to protest peacefully. The police did not throw the first rock, tag the first statue, or light any fireworks. Nor did they smash windows, attempt to burn various things, or deface any memorials. They did not attack the Supreme Court, or the Treasury, or the Royal Car.

The police were wrongly attacked, mainly by ANTIFA and, I believe, the UAF. Students may have got caught up in the violence, but I would hope that they were not in a majority. What do you expect the police to do if they are attacked? You talk about how you wouldn't stand for it if your friend was beaten, well what if some prick is throwing firework and fences at you? The police showed extreme restraint the entire day, they didn't even bring the dogs out! It says something about the seriousness of the situation when a cavalry charge is ordered, for the first time since the Miner's strikes, I believe.

The police should have been far more clinical; dogs and water cannons should have been deployed, and baton and cavalry charges should have been utilised far more often.

ReputationRep:
    It's ridiculous , It seems like quite a lot of people who went to the protest were simply there to cause trouble and start a fight and they have ruined any chance for the protestors being taken seriously...they acted like thugs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    That makes no sense.

So if I murder someone because I didn't like their tone of voice when they said "hello" to me, it's actually their fault?

That's a trivial provocation. Pricing some people out of getting on in life, and improving their lot, is much, much more than trivial. That is why MPs(and Lib Dems who voted for the rise in particular) are not blameless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Planar)
    That's a trivial provocation. Pricing some people out of getting on in life, and improving their lot, is much, much more than trivial. That is why MPs(and Lib Dems who voted for the rise in particular) are not blameless.
    I don't understand why you are drawing your own lines as to what is acceptable and what is not. We already have a line drawn - the law.

MPs didn't break the law, students did.

The end.

ReputationRep:
    "Uprising" by Muse. Some protesters should have used this track. "Rise up and take the power back. It's time the fat cats had a heart attack!"

Muse :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clens)
    The police have, and always will, safeguard the right of the people to protest peacefully. The police did not throw the first rock, tag the first statue, or light any fireworks. Nor did they smash windows, attempt to burn various things, or deface any memorials. They did not attack the Supreme Court, or the Treasury, or the Royal Car.
    Yeah, so what? I never said they did. They did, however, harm many non-violent protesters, trap people in the cold for hours on end, without food or water. They charged crowds on horseback, and use weapons indiscriminately. They also ignored pleas for help from protester that they'd injured.

(Original post by Clens)
    What do you expect the police to do if they are attacked? You talk about how you wouldn't stand for it if your friend was beaten, well what if some prick is throwing firework and fences at you?
    I would expect them not to do the above.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Yeah out of two million students and a population of 61 million only 10k people show up.
    Dont start thinking this is the last we will hear of this. This is just the beggining, there will be more protests, more riots, and if this is anything like the poll tax incident, then we wont be seeing these tuition fees for very long.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 10, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.