Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    some girls pretend to be dumb or ditzy or whatever.. they think its 'cute' or 'appealing' or summink.
    i however just out knowledge guys to such an extent that they hero worship me.....

ReputationRep:
    15 people are butt-hurt women.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbo1234)
    (a generalisation of course)

After talking to many people over the last few months, it has become very apparent that girls have almost zero general knowledge. They can tell you what is going on in their course or the X factor, but ask them where Germany is or what WW2 was about and they have no idea. I was reminded of this when a girl on TSR who was 20 had no idea what 9/11 was all about, even though it will be one of the most important historical events during her life.
    What excuse do you have for this ignorance when you live in an age of instant communication and access to huge amounts of data all for free? :confused:

Yet for some reason guys tend to be better with general knowledge, from geography, politics, and history, for some reason we know far more, yet if you ask a person why they know this they can not explain why. I put it down to simply being more inquisitive.

Do other people find this to be the same with girls they meet, or guys?
    Do you girls with general knowledge find these girls do not help with fighting stereotypes such as the stupid blonde etc?
    Disclaimer: I don't know about british girls, because I went to highschool in austria (and now I am studing in germany).
    And In general found what you say very true, (on average girls have far less
    "general knowlege" than guys) Never understood it but talked to a friend (female) about this for long one day. It appears than many guys surfe (?) the net randomly watch historic films, read a lot of wikipedia articles while procastrinating... and girls procastrinate less, and if they do they do different stuff, so I think that's where this comes from.

ReputationRep:
    I think this is quite right. I find myself more accepting of ignorance amongst girls than I would amongst men of the same age and educational level. I suspect they just have minds that focus more on specific, rather than general, knowledge.

Things that are traditionally considered part of general knowledge - politics, history etc - are also male dominated in academic environments, so perhaps that has something to do with it too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharlieBee_90)
    Which is still a form of teaching, but still - why do guys 'know' it but girls were only 'taught' it? How do you know I didn't read about it or talk to other people about it (which, oddly enough, is actually how I happen to know about it :fyi:)
    I don't, hence the opening disclaimer that of course it will not be true for everyone. Like I said before, I find guys tend to have a greater general knowledge because they look at things outside of the class room where as in general, girls do this far less.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbo1234)
    As I have said, my experience has been that the large majority of girls do lack general knowledge.
    The large majority of girls?

World population estimate (2009): 6,775,235,741.47

= approximately 3,387,617,870.74 females ("girls", if you will).

You've met and intellectually judged the majority of 3,387,617,870.74 girls?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clo-clo1)
    Yeah babes, did you guess because you know I'm secretly a man.
    totes.

I actually have no idea how I knew that it was you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenny_C)
    The large majority of girls?

World population estimate (2009): 6,775,235,741.47

= approximately 3,387,617,870.74 females ("girls", if you will).

You've met and intellectually judged the majority of 3,387,617,870.74 girls?!
    Well with my controlled survey of all the girls i have met, I would say ~ 75% have no general knowledge so going by that, 75% of British girls are oblivious to the real world. As for foreign girls, I have not met enough to form a solid opinion, but so far they seem much better.

ReputationRep:
    MY general knowledge is FREAKING AMAZING... you're generalising us though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amsie/)
    Did I or did I not say that it is a generalisation?!
    Seriously, learn to read people!

ReputationRep:
    Knowledge has application. Why should people know empty facts, and for what purpose?

If this "girl" didn't know what the Second World War was, then so what? It's no shock horror that not everybody gives a poo about history, even if it is important historical events such as World War Two.

ReputationRep:
    What does general knowledge mean again? I forgot, because I'm a girl.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure whether to disagree or agree.. :/ I know many girls that are intelligent to know lots of various common knowledge things (myself included) but if I look at my sister and her friends there is a different story..
    Maybe it is all this X Factor/I'm Celeb/Only way is Essex/etc rubbish that girls like to get addicted to, because it gives an outlook of life that is very simplistic. \

However, girls also like to act stupid - I do this alot, even though I'm not , I guess it gives us attention and makes us looks less serious - what girl wants to debate politics on a night out unless its to say that obama is sexy? we want to have fun and not go back to academics.

ReputationRep:
    OP, most human beings are shallow. This is why pop culture exists, it's a symbiotic relationship between the media and the public.

Why do you care if people don't learn or enrich themselves with knowledge?

ReputationRep:
    i think otherwise.it depends what you talking about and community specific..i mean if you are among the scientists-the meaning of general knowledge is to know about ''particle theory''....so it depends...btw i dnt know abt make-up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Summergirl.x)
    I'm not sure whether to disagree or agree.. :/ I know many girls that are intelligent to know lots of various common knowledge things (myself included) but if I look at my sister and her friends there is a different story..
    Maybe it is all this X Factor/I'm Celeb/Only way is Essex/etc rubbish that girls like to get addicted to, because it gives an outlook of life that is very simplistic. \

However, girls also like to act stupid - I do this alot, even though I'm not , I guess it gives us attention and makes us looks less serious - what girl wants to debate politics on a night out unless its to say that obama is sexy? we want to have fun and not go back to academics.
    ''obama'' is sexy..lmao.
    girls tend to be the soft corner in life..they are not like guys who will fight with you if you say ''arsne wenger has phucked up arsenal in last 2 seasons''!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amsie/)
    ok then answer me
    is voldemort gay?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)
    Knowledge has application. Why should people know empty facts, and for what purpose?

If this "girl" didn't know what the Second World War was, then so what? It's no shock horror that not everybody gives a poo about history, even if it is important historical events such as World War Two.
    It makes them very boring people.
    Empty facts = point of conversation = something that you may help you at some point :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Boring is subjective. They may find what you say boring. it seems you cannot relate to others well, and expect them to value what you value.

ReputationRep:
    who ever reads it will honestly answer it without taking any help or google it
    so my ''general knowledge question is....
    was david cameron sexually abused as a child??

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.