Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why is everyone so upset over tuition fees reform? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pippa90)
    Why are you quoting me on a completely different thread? And you can just **** right off because I have never said anything like that and you just keep coming up with all of these phases that you think that I'd say Get a ****ing life. I'm not ignorant, you just think that anyone who has a different opinion on something than you is.

To all other members of TSR, don't listen to a word of this ****, I'm not going to any more.
    Oops, mixed your post up by mistake.
    Well all I can say is you clearly know your own ignorance as you are reacting so extremely. You are exceptionally ignorant to answer how you did, saying otherwise just reinforces my point further.
    :goaway:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d123)
    It's not being retarded! I don't understand what's so wrong about going to uni as education for education's sake! Besides, if people didn't study history, no one would be able to write those history books! You can also get a lot more out of studying a subject at uni than you would from simply reading a book about it as you get to talk to the experts in the field and be in an environment where you can surround yourself with learning.

I'm not interested in making money. I'd also be interested to hear what you think is a 'more favourable career', because to me a good career is not simply about how much you earn or how much prestige you have. I don't really know what I want to do with my life, but at the moment I'm leaning towards either a career in academia or working for a charity. Working for a charity probably doesn't fit into your definition of a more favourable career but for me, that's intrinsically far more worth doing than being manager of some city hedge fund.
    No one's saying you can't but expecting the tax payer to fund it aint on, hence the rise in tuition fees

University is a lifestyle choice for many so stop whining at having to pay for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    Oops, mixed your post up by mistake.
    Well all I can say is you clearly know your own ignorance as you are reacting so extremely. You are exceptionally ignorant to answer how you did, saying otherwise just reinforces my point further.
    :goaway:
    I'm reacting so extremely because you're just making up nasty assumptions of me. I don't respond nicely to people who just come out and verbally attack me out of the blue. Just one word that I said to SOMEONE ELSE made you do that. If I was talking to that other person on the street you wouldn't come out with all of that abuse, so don't do it on here either. Oh and don't tell me to 'go away' (how childish btw) because you were the one who jumped me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wibletg)
    Well obviously Universities are not going to feel the immediate benefit of any fees increase, in any system it takes time for changes to be felt?
    Why would they feel any benefit to the fee increases?
    They aren't going to get any more money than what they do right now (the fees are just being increased to replace the government funding that is being cut).

(Original post by moviebuffateer)
    and? Almost everything is going up in price!
    But not by 300%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince Rupert)
    No one's saying you can't but expecting the tax payer to fund it aint on, hence the rise in tuition fees

University is a lifestyle choice for many so stop whining at having to pay for it
    Give this man a prize! )

ReputationRep:
    Dividing it up into weekly payments doesn't make the total any smaller.

(Who the hell gets their salary per week anyway?).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HJV)

Dividing the amount helps you to budget.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HJV)

I was trying to put the amounts involved in context, since it's impossible to know how much you're going to have to pay back in total (since forecasting inflation 30 years into the future is bonkers).

The real debt burden those who are paying it back will feel is just the repayments anyway. It's a burden in exactly the same way the graduate tax would have been, except that at least with tuition fees you have some hope of paying it back.

Also, whilst I don't get my salary on a weekly basis when I'm working, I do budget on a weekly basis, particularly whilst at uni, and I know a lot of people who do.

ReputationRep:
    I can understand people being upset with fees on principal but what I can't understand is those MPs who agreed to introduce fees and then raise them now vote against more increases.

ReputationRep:
    You guys are complaining and I can completely understand why. Now you mother fuggers know how an international student feels. If I go to UK, I have to pay about 90 grand. If I go to the states, it's even better. About friggin 250 grand. Yeah but still, it's a very stupid thing that your government did. Raising it a bit is fine, but by 3 times suddenly is completely retarded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    I can understand people being upset with fees on principal but what I can't understand is those MPs who agreed to introduce fees and then raise them now vote against more increases.
    Two reasons:

1 - There is a huge difference between £3000 and £9000. Some people feel that a student should make some contribution to their degree, but not as much as this government wants us to.

2 - Party politics.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone here considered the fact that students today may just want to go into graduate job schemes? There are loads all over the country, mainly the larger corporations and they don't care by and large what you studied, so long as you have the requisite grades.

Of course specific things like medicine, law and accountancy posts need the right degrees, but I have friends from school working in the city that did Geography degrees, or in publishing with a history degree.

Why not study a subject you want, if the end result is you want to work in a sector where the course content isn't critical.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I find this question stupid. I don't mean to offend you so sorry if I do. It's just the idea that you have to pay 3x as much. I'm sure many people including yourself would be angry if they found out that the price of food is being tripled. Would you pay £6 for a loaf of bread. Yes. But it's stupid.

Fine, the economy isn't functioning as well as before but it doesn't justify increasing these prices. I'll only pay triple if the education if the education is miles better. But it isn't. The government are stupid to an extent. They increase the price on everything and wonder why people are in debt. Don't increase prices if you don't want to increase salaries. Simple.

I'm not into politics but this is just my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asiko)
    Sorry I find this question stupid. I don't mean to offend you so sorry if I do. It's just the idea that you have to pay 3x as much. I'm sure many people including yourself would be angry if they found out that the price of food is being tripled. Would you pay £6 for a loaf of bread. Yes. But it's stupid.

Fine, the economy isn't functioning as well as before but it doesn't justify increasing these prices. I'll only pay triple if the education if the education is miles better. But it isn't. The government are stupid to an extent. They increase the price on everything and wonder why people are in debt. Don't increase prices if you don't want to increase salaries. Simple.

I'm not into politics but this is just my opinion.
    They're not increasing the cost of anything at all in the long run.
    Your education will cost the same amount, the only thing that's changing is that graduates will pay more of the cost of providing university education (which will still be subsidised, remember) than non-graduates will.

So essentially you're just saying it's stupid that people who don't go to university aren't being forced to contribute as much towards paying for you to get a competitive advantage over them in the workplace.

Remember, the only money the government has is money from taxation.
    The student loan payments act as an extra form of taxation, and therefore raise money for the government, which may eventually allow for other taxes to be lowered.

ReputationRep:
    I think if people could get good jobs after they graduate then it would make the rise in fees more acceptable, but there just aren't the jobs to go around anymore (except in certain degree subjects). Even highly qualified (and motivated) people can't get jobs unless they're lucky - so the debt is hanging over you all this time and you've got the pressures of wanting to get your foot on the property ladder etc

Really I think there should be a massive overhaul with only the most academic students being able to get a full honours degree, as many degree subjects could be learnt in less time and could have a different kind of qualification at the end.

(Original post by PerigeeApogee)
      Secondly, your argument is that the taxpayer should not be burdened with higher education because most taxpayers don't benefit from it. The same is true of the NHS... many people go through their lives without requiring expensive operations and treatments from the NHS, so why should they need to pay taxes to fund treatments for people who do? Especially when a shocking proportion of those treatments are required for self-inflicted problems - from smoking or drinking, etc.
      Then why don't we semi-privatise it then? (I have no objections to this).

Higher education benefits people as much, if not more, than healthcare - not to mention the fact that the advancement of healthcare is entirely upon the shoulders of academic/research institutions which relies on talented university graduates. So why should it receive such a low priority on the public spending list?
      You can't generalise all higher education like that tbh...

I mean, what's more unfair, asking the taxpayer to fund a lung transplant for a chain smoker, or asking the taxpayer to put a bright student through a respectable degree? (and I realise that this is looking at individual cases, but you're the one who started that with your 'individual taxpayers not going to uni' business)
      The bright student can obtain a respectable degree though. :wtf:

ReputationRep:
      To be honest with you, I could pay £15.58 per week NOW, out of my loan, and not even notice it. So I hardly think it will kill me when I'm earning!

ReputationRep:
      I got a question, what if someone decides not to pay back, can they get arrested?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by swiftylol)
      I got a question, what if someone decides not to pay back, can they get arrested?
      Probably, you're not paying taxes.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by swiftylol)
      It is like any loan from a bank....they will send numerous reminders and then send the bayliffs in to just take it off you!

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.