Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'll give one example and then I'm gone. This guy had really bad social anxiety and tried every drug under the sun prescribed by his doctor. Nothing worked. He then got an ADHD diagnosis and received adderall (a type of amphetamine). It completely abolished his social anxiety. Under normal circumstances there is no chance a doctor would prescribe amp for social anxiety. When you read medical journals you can see why it can help and anecdotes back it up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewroll)
    You didnt get to sleep until 8am? Why, clubbing? alcohol? xbox? depressed?

Maybe if you hang out with that girl more you can become friends with her friends. Who knows, you might end up living with them. Do you mind me asking what uni you are at?
    Lol no I was just chatting to this girl and my boyfriend, sending each other hilarious videos off youtube Plus I just wasn't tired as I didn't get up til 4pm the day before!

Yeah, I know one of her friends who's nice, and I've had long chats with her before even though it was pretty much the first time we met! I've also organised with my flatmate to make a cake for our friend's birthday on Wed. I think it may take a bit of time but I'll grow closer with them eventually I'm at Kingston Uni.

(Original post by kratos90)
    Oh boy there is. And much better things than alcohol hehe. Dexedrine which is prescribed for ADHD. Ecstasy (much safer than alcohol if it is pure) is possibly the most pro-social drug out there. And many others.
    Lol sure I'll just become a druggy Tbf I haven't been out properly drinking for about a month because whenever I'm up for it others aren't or have no money, too much work, but when they go out and invite me I usually have to be up at 7 the next day! I'm going out twice this week though so things should get better

(Original post by isawsparks89)
    Bear in mind I'm not a doctor and all, but I don't think youre depressed. I think you're going through a bad time in uni and that that has left you feeling down, but I don't think you're depressed as such, I think it's just a bad patch. Have you tried making friends with people not in the same halls as you? I wasn't on a really friendly basis with people in my block in halls, so I met people on my course, in other parts of college etc so don't give up just cos there aren't people in your uni halls!
    I'm on a friendly basis with my halls friends, but many are on the same course and spend a lot more time together so sometimes I wouldn't know what to say when they're taking about an essay I think I'm generally going to try to get to know everyone better before I try and find another bunch of other people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lightburns)
    They do sound like ********s.. I think your best bet may be to look for other groups of people you might get on better with.
    Lol well I'm giving Friday a go (course people - the ones who often turn their backs on me) so will see what happens from there. If it's ****, then I won't bother with them any more

I hate to advocate drugs but they always worked for me. I don't have depression but still they always work. I find it sad how there are so many great substances that can really help people in so many ways. You just need to read medical journals. Doctor's are so often clueless and the government and our parents make us think smoking and alcohol are OK when there are much safer AND better alternatives. THESE ARE ADDICTIVE RECREATIONAL DRUGS TOO. I'm sure more people will develop a mind of their own in time. Especially with the power of the internet, access to journals and thousands of anecdotes.
    I'll give one example and then I'm gone. This guy had really bad social anxiety and tried every drug under the sun prescribed by his doctor. Nothing worked. He then got an ADHD diagnosis and received adderall (a type of amphetamine). It completely abolished his social anxiety. Under normal circumstances there is no chance a doctor would prescribe amp for social anxiety. When you read medical journals you can see why it can help and anecdotes back it up.
    I'd try weed but wouldn't go any further than that tbh. I don't think I really have social anxienty though. I was shy before I got here, but not really any more. I think I just haven't spent enough time bonding with these people, I'll put some more time and effort into it, but if it stays the same then I'll move on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pippa90)
    Lol well I'm giving Friday a go (course people - the ones who often turn their backs on me) so will see what happens from there. If it's ****, then I won't bother with them any more

I'd try weed but wouldn't go any further than that tbh. I don't think I really have social anxienty though. I was shy before I got here, but not really any more. I think I just haven't spent enough time bonding with these people, I'll put some more time and effort into it, but if it stays the same then I'll move on
    (I would normally bring up this discussion, but as it's been started...)
    Well, if you'd try up to weed...

I took poppers when I was very badly depressed. I should have just committed suicide, but hey ho, you learn from your mistakes right
    They are cheap, legal, undetectable, harmless (no side-effects) and short-lasting. However, they seem to affect different people in different ways - no guarantee it'll make you better like it did with me.
    For me, it was a lifesaver when I was overwhelmed by feelings. It gave me a few moments without any problems, and then I wasn't overwhelmed anymore.

Whatever you do.. Best of luck, I hope it gets better for you.

ReputationRep:
    Go to your lectures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (I would normally bring up this discussion, but as it's been started...)
    Well, if you'd try up to weed...

I took poppers when I was very badly depressed. I should have just committed suicide, but hey ho, you learn from your mistakes right
    They are cheap, legal, undetectable, harmless (no side-effects) and short-lasting. However, they seem to affect different people in different ways - no guarantee it'll make you better like it did with me.
    For me, it was a lifesaver when I was overwhelmed by feelings. It gave me a few moments without any problems, and then I wasn't overwhelmed anymore.

Whatever you do.. Best of luck, I hope it gets better for you.
    Should have commited suicide?

Thanks for the advice

(Original post by CyberKid)
    Go to your lectures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Lol I've been to pretty much all of them except for when I've been genuinely ill. I've just missed a few independant studio sessions because of my bad sleeping pattern.

ReputationRep:
    Should have commited suicide?

Thanks for the advice
    Yeah, I had quite a number of years of terrible depression (caused by my situation, like you, not clinical depression caused by biochemistry or anything!), and the 'professionals' treated me like a 5 year old, would tell me nothing, lied to me, messed me about, prevented me from getting treatment etc..

I heard a rumour that the 'professional' charged the NHS over £500 an hour for his precious, oh so helpful time with me. He refused to talk about my problems, was patronising, and just tried to put his own beliefs into my head.
    And I couldn't get out of it, because I needed his referral to an adult unit.

You might understand better now why I immediately leapt at GodSpeedGehenna for suggesting you should only speak to professionals and not other young people about the specifics of the medical side of things.......

I don't want this to turn into a discussion of me - so there's all of what happened to me, that's it for that conversation... But if you wanted to know anything about the NHS and depression, I may be able to help. Or if you started needing methods to deal with unhappiness, I may be able to help. Can't guarantee it of course, but you know my background, so you know if I am able to answer a question..

Wow, this post sounds bitter.

ReputationRep:

Weed causes paranoia. Another case of the irresponsible government portraying a dangerous drug as relatively soft when there are much safer 'harder' alternatives :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Weed causes paranoia. Another case of the irresponsible government portraying a dangerous drug as relatively soft when there are much safer 'harder' alternatives :rolleyes:
    The Gov't is actually portraying it as more harmful than the science experts have found it it.

Paranoia, for otherwise healthy individuals, is only temporary whilst you are stoned. Stoners would suggest taking less if you are getting paranoid, I don't know if this helps or not.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I had quite a number of years of terrible depression (caused by my situation, like you, not clinical depression caused by biochemistry or anything!), and the 'professionals' treated me like a 5 year old, would tell me nothing, lied to me, messed me about, prevented me from getting treatment etc..

I heard a rumour that the 'professional' charged the NHS over £500 an hour for his precious, oh so helpful time with me. He refused to talk about my problems, was patronising, and just tried to put his own beliefs into my head.
    And I couldn't get out of it, because I needed his referral to an adult unit.

You might understand better now why I immediately leapt at GodSpeedGehenna for suggesting you should only speak to professionals and not other young people about the specifics of the medical side of things.......

I don't want this to turn into a discussion of me - so there's all of what happened to me, that's it for that conversation... But if you wanted to know anything about the NHS and depression, I may be able to help. Or if you started needing methods to deal with unhappiness, I may be able to help. Can't guarantee it of course, but you know my background, so you know if I am able to answer a question..

Wow, this post sounds bitter.
    Don't worry you don't sound bitter, it's the truth, and the NHS are really bad with this in some cases. My dad has depression and his old doctor pretty much didn't believe in depression. Ridiculous. I think that talking to people at the same level as yourself is much better, not someone who's getting paid £500 for it and quite possibley doesn't give a ****.

ReputationRep:
    Ah well tbh, I don't want to have to rely on any drug to make friends, it's a bit pathetic really.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry you don't sound bitter, it's the truth, and the NHS are really bad with this in some cases. My dad has depression and his old doctor pretty much didn't believe in depression. Ridiculous. I think that talking to people at the same level as yourself is much better, not someone who's getting paid £500 for it and quite possibley doesn't give a ****.
    There is an understanding between people that you don't get with many 'professionals'. The people I see now are a lot better - but I stopped being depressed before I started seeing them! Oh well. That sounds awful for your Dad, did he change doctors?

Ah well tbh, I don't want to have to rely on any drug to make friends, it's a bit pathetic really.
    I agree - reliance on a drug, any drug, prescribed or not, is best avoided if possible. Drugs can be a bit of fun, but should be just that, if possible.
    I don't drink alcohol.. unfortunately that hinders my friend-making ability. But really, I agree with you - for one thing, isn't it better to find friends you get on with whilst sober? If you only get on with them whilst drunk/stoned, then that kinda sucks for your friendship.

ReputationRep:
    There is an understanding between people that you don't get with many 'professionals'. The people I see now are a lot better - but I stopped being depressed before I started seeing them! Oh well. That sounds awful for your Dad, did he change doctors?

I agree - reliance on a drug, any drug, prescribed or not, is best avoided if possible. Drugs can be a bit of fun, but should be just that, if possible.
    I don't drink alcohol.. unfortunately that hinders my friend-making ability. But really, I agree with you - for one thing, isn't it better to find friends you get on with whilst sober? If you only get on with them whilst drunk/stoned, then that kinda sucks for your friendship.
    Yeah of course, think he's kind of getting better but he's still in his ****ty job, so it probably won't go away until he retires or changes job.

Exactly, I'd like to go on days out with my friends as well as partying!

ReputationRep:
    Your argument is pretty much the same as I saw some woman claiming..
    She didn't want anyone to have cancer scans for the single reason as that they were not 100% accurate, and caused some people problems due to the undue stress of believing they had cancer.

Knowledge is power.
    It's rather different for psychiatric conditions. You can't drive yourself into having cancer through self-diagnosis whereas you can for things like mental illness.

The simple fact is, it is incredibly inappropriate and irresponsible for a schoolkid to diagnose someone, especially when it is based on a vague few paragraphs on an internet forum.

Are you aware of any of the cognitive trends that lead to depression? If you take someone who is already potentially vulnerable to such a diagnosis and tell them that they are depressed, they begin to globalise things, their attributions become more internal. Subsequently they are at risk of adopting depressive attitudes because of their new attributional style and they become acopic. This potentially can lead to rumination and ultimately the vicious circle of depression.

Not only that, its very easy to encourage the googling of DSM symptoms of depression, and inevitably they end up going to their GP and rattling off this specific list of diagnostic criteria, suspiciously in very psychological language. I've seen it happen with patients in GP practices. It only takes a slightly anxious person to be told they have depression to proceed to develop it whether that diagnosis was correct or not.

But, I very much doubt the little a-level psychiatrists were aware of that when they e-diagnosed.

ReputationRep:
    So you're saying those with epilepsy, adhd etc are pathetic because they were born with some sort of deficiency in their brain?

ReputationRep:
    The Gov't is actually portraying it as more harmful than the science experts have found it it.

Paranoia, for otherwise healthy individuals, is only temporary whilst you are stoned. Stoners would suggest taking less if you are getting paranoid, I don't know if this helps or not.
    Source? I said cannabis was portrayed as relatively soft i.e. soft compared to drugs such as ecstasy which is untrue.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I dunno what was with him, it was almost as if he was saying that people who might have depression aren't allowed to talk to anyone but professionals.
    GodSpeedGehenna for suggesting you should only speak to professionals
    I take it that blowing my argument out of proportion is the only way you can criticise it? Well done.

ReputationRep:
    So you're saying those with epilepsy, adhd etc are pathetic because they were born with some sort of deficiency in their brain?
    I said rely on drugs to make friends, not rely on drugs when you seriously need them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    I take it that blowing my argument out of proportion is the only way you can criticise it? Well done.
    What did you mean then? Sorry but it sounded like you were saying that I shouldn't be asking people for advice on here, when it actually really helped.

ReputationRep:
    What did you mean then? Sorry but it sounded like you were saying that I shouldn't be asking people for advice on here, when it actually really helped.
    I said nothing of the sort. What I did say is that schoolkids should not be diagnosing psychiatric illness based on what they have studied at a-level.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 14, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.