Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you agree with the scrapping of EMA? Poll Watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Are you pleased that EMA has been scrapped?
    Yes, it wasn't fair on the middle classes and was used innapropriately!
    41.03%
    Yes, we can no longer afford it!
    14.81%
    I am indifferent
    4.27%
    No, we can still afford it!
    2.28%
    No, poorer students relied upon it and it encouraged social mobility!
    37.61%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SatanIsAwesome)
    If only every parent had foresight. They don't, so like I said, a child shouldn't be at a disadvantage because of their parent's blunders.
    It's not the taxpayers fault either though. It's up to each family how they manage their affairs.

That's bleak.
    I know, I feel quite bad for them. The girls mother dropped out of school aged 13, and didn't even know what a GCSE was until her daughter explained it when she was taking them. Ironically, this girl is a straight A student who has university aspirations.

It's not "throwing money at teenagers", it's paying for college related costs, as they should.
    Of course, if you gave free travel passes (as you said) then you wouldn't have to pay as much, but then course-related trips, books and equipment should be free too (by equipment I mean scientific calculators and programs).
    We also don't know how a free travel pass would work, if it could cost the government more as it may mean that more teens use the public services.
    I don't see why the government should pay ALL college related costs. Another solution would be to give the EMA money to the colleges themselves and let them spend it on transport for the students, equipment, etc. That way, it'd get spent correctly. They already use it, at least around me. Most of us live 10 miles or more away.

I know £15 a week left over is ridiculous, that's not what i'm advocating.
    Yeah your system of £10 a week would be better than that. Although, transport usually costs more than £10 per week. If my council didn't have a scheme for all 16-19 year olds transport, it'd cost me £20 a week on train tickets.

About an hour a day, but it's not as though I could use that time freely, the only option was to stay in college, nothing to do within reach, except maybe go for a half hour walk, but those get boring when you're stuck in the same area.
    Oh right, that sucks. We get loads of time off, several hours a day, and half days. I assumed it'd be the same for everyone.

ReputationRep:
    Not everyone has good parents and most parents don't choose when to have a child.
    Yes, you might not know when, but if you want children, you should start saving from the word go. Even if you don't initially want them, start saving for a house, holiday, whatever, just so you have some back up money incase things don't go exactly to plan.

The flaw in this plan being that photocopies cost money and are easier to lose than books.
    Not if you have one at home, most new printers have photocopiers and scanners in. If you lose it just run off another copy?

ReputationRep:
    I definetly would not of been able to go to college for the two years I did if I didnt recieve EMA.

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't have possibly gone to college without EMA, despite having a part time job too. It cost too much money for the busses and books, my mum was unable to help out with anything as she was very ill. Some people genuinely need EMA, and I know without it I myself would have had to go and get full time employment due to not having any money to give my family.
    I understand in some cases the EMA could be abused, but it was there for a reason and I'm fully against having it scrapped. Unless you've lived in some poor areas where hardly anyone goes to college, you really can't say you've got a fair judgement in my opinion.
    Sorry if it offends anyone here

ReputationRep:
    I dont think it should. I'll struggle w/e it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazyunicorn133)
    Unless you've lived in some poor areas where hardly anyone goes to college, you really can't say you've got a fair judgement in my opinion.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    I know a lot of people that needed it so it's kinda 50/50 with the poorer people. Some take it for a ride, some don't.

ReputationRep:
    "Yes, it wasn't fair on the middle classes and was used innapropriately!"
    From what Ive seen from posters here its the middle class who abuse the system. Since every second person and their dog know some millionaire who recieves EMA.

ReputationRep:
    I know i'm probably in the minority, but i do agree with the scrapping of EMA. when i was at college, most people (including myself) just used their EMA to go out clubbing/buy new clothes etc. I think there does need to be provision for students, but i don't think giving £30 per week for just turning up is the right way to go about it, especially in these economic times.

ReputationRep:
    I know loads of middle class kids that get it who don't need it. Their parents are divorced and they use their mum's income to get it as their mum's usually work part time and don't earn much and maintenance etc from the divorce is not used as income.

The help for poorer students needs to be targetted properly, according to SKY News and the BBC research shows that no more than 1% of currently eligible students stay on at school until they are 18 (this includes the middle class kids who don't need it) and this costs taxpayers over £500 billion a year. There will be announcements soon on the new help for poor 16- 18 year olds that will actually help the people it is meant too.

ReputationRep:
    I knew tons of kids who were way more well off than me who got EMA because their parents fiddled with their finances. One girl owned 2 horses for that entire period and 3 at one point, big house multi car family, properties abroad, basically upper middle class and recieved EMA. THis was pretty much the trend in my (private) school. All the upper middle class kids seemed to recieve it and barely any of the lower middles at all got it. IMO just goes to show that the system was really being abused and it deserved to be scrapped from that perspective.

ReputationRep:
    Having a job can be detrimental to people's education.
    You shouldn't have to get a job to be educated, it's supposed to be funded by the government after all.

Don't get your knickers in a twist because your parents were evil.
    Education is free for all students 16-19 years and it is tax payer funded. The EMA is not fit for purpose. Having a part time job in no way hampers anyone's education, in fact universities are impressed by it as it shows character, punctuality, responsibility, determination and initative. There is going to be help for students who really need it and if it's done properly it won't be so abused.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riso)
    Fully agree.
    I wasn't eligible for it but wouldn't have taken it anyway, despite not getting handouts from my parents.
    I went out and got a job to buy my textbooks.
    Of course you wouldn't have :rolleyes:
    I don't get handouts from my parent, but I actually spend it on things that help me educationally. Please stop acting like you're better than everyone else because you have a job. I have a job, i've had it since i was 13. There wouldn't be enough jobs for all of the students in the UK anyway... I don't know how people can have such a strong opinion on something that they have no comprehension of. For you not to qualify, your family has to earn at least 31 grand. That's a crazy amount of money compared to what my family income is, almost three times as much as my mam has ever earned annually... My mam doesn't really know how much i have to spend on books and things, but i'm grateful for the system, as it means that i don't have to take money from her.

I'm sorry for ranting... For the record I would be happy with receiving vouchers or something... I understand how EMA may seem unfair to you, but it helps a lot of people.

One of my friends said quite loudly today that she can't wait for her EMA to go in this week, because she's going Christmas shopping soon, and she needs to buy her pet a present"...

I was like ---> :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to see it given out in voucher form so that those who need it can get free travel, books, stationery, etc. - but spoilt and selfish kids wouldn't be able to rinse their struggling parents for these essentials so they can save up EMA for a new iphone. Too many people see EMA as some sort of wage for going to school rather than something to make sure that everyone who chooses to can go to school.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe all college students should get a bus pass provided for them as opposed to giving the cash to the students. The saved difference could be handed to colleges to use for providing things actually required for College. Either that or the students could take receipts in college for the necessary equipment (paper, books etc.) and have it refunded to them.

Giving £30 cash just to attend College is ridiculous. As a lot of posters have said a lot of students seem to spend it in Topshop and the local underage pub.

ReputationRep:
    Only if it can be shown that the recipient would not otherwise be able to be in education, and that thjis is what they want.

Ideally, use a food / bus /train pass voucher scheme to avoid spending the money on other things.

Gov't report says 90% of recipients would go into FE anyway, so the money could be directed better.

It was discussed on the radio with people saying how mates were buying games, super-dry clothes, flash hub-caps for the car etc.

ReputationRep:
    EMA. Sad to see you go.

My feelings on the subject being...

ReputationRep:
    It's hard for me to comment really. I do not receive it but I know if I was in a position where I could have it I would. However, what I don't agree with is the fact that it can just be used as beer/cigarette money, which unfortunately is where from my experiences a great deal of it goes. Yet there are some who use it for it's true purpose. Tricky call.

ReputationRep:
    Basically any person I knew with self-employed parents got it, they were a lot better off than me, too easy to swindle and ineffective anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I'm yet to meet anyone who spends it on what it's intended to be used for.

The majority are like "l0l n33d m4 f4gz", plus take A-Levels like 'Photography', and 'Health and Social Care' - it's repulsive.

Scrap it; it's pointless.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.