Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Disabled Man Attacked by Police Watch

(Original post by yawn)
      There was no riot until the police brought in the horses. Prior to that, the marchers were corralled in a confined space and it would be easy for a copper to get close enough to a female to put his hand (or any other body part) in an inappropriate place.

We've seen it in other countries...the coalition is prompting it to happen here. People will not stand by and be the targets of swingeing cuts whilst the very wealthy...such as Phil Green, owner of Topshop is able to avoid payment of taxes by means of stealth. These tax loopholes have to be closed and these people who are well able to afford to pay those taxes are made to pay them. Some of the measures introduced by the coalition - eg the delaying of purchasing pension annuities to maximise returns - only benefit the wealthiest 0.5% of the population. Think on that, those who are manipulated by the media.
      Again, so many myths and so little fact. What you write is objectively incorrect.

"There was no riot until the police brought in the horses."
      Completely untrue, watch live coverage of the day on iPlayer, the students start smashing up the police fencing first, they had to smash through two lines of fencing to even get within baton-distance of the police in the south-west corner, punching, kicking, hauling up and throwing the 8ft metal fences at the police - who initially weren't even in riot gear (for fear of being accused of provoking anything). Then sprint for the northern-west exit of Parliament square en masse, throwing flares and paint at the police, throwing massive heavy metal fences at the police. Just watch the live coverage...

I don't know how you could even think that the riot was the fault of the police. Were the police responsible for the riot at Millbank too? No, because these people will riot, police or not.

"Prior to that, the marchers were corralled in a confined space"
      Categorically wrong. The march route was scheduled to simply enter the square at the NE entrance, and leave down Whitehall (East exit), the march wasn't even supposed to stop in parliament square, but carry on down whitehall. The police used a tannoy and megaphones to tell people to carry on moving down the agreed route - to exit parliament square, the majority didn't listen. The police didn't want people to stop in the square, that is exactly what they didn't want to happen. The police did not 'corrall' anyone until it was obvious that the crowd were intent on violence and were going to smash up Whitehall too, which they eventally did anyway.

If you ever wondered why police contain or 'kettle' violent riots like the one outside parliament - just look at the violence and destruction in the west end and the attack on Prince Charles' car.

You really think that government after government after government just knowingly leaves all these 'loopholes' open, allows all these people to break the spirit of the law, or because it is a 'tory government' and 'tories are rich' so the tories have opened up all these new loopholes?
      NO, every government since the 1980s has pledged to reduce tax evasion and avoidance - but it is actually a pretty hard feat to accomplish.

You mention Phillip Green - so tell me - how can you ethically and lawfully make him start paying tax on money that he goes to someone else. Actually, tell HMRC or the media, not me.

Although you probably don't want to tell the hypocritical Guardian, as they are on the tax-avoidance game too, GMG (the holding company) made profits of £300,000,000 last year, and didn't pay a single penny of corporation tax, through a complex web of shell companies based in the Cayman Islands.

Indeed, the Guardian on itself:
      The editor, Alan Rusbridger, explained that the GMG/Apax agreement falls into two parts. The first concerns stamp duty and the second refers to the Apax half of the deal.

The arrangement made is now common in mergers and acquisitions, he said, and is done with agreement of the Treasury. It means the new company [in the Cayman Islands] avoids some of the stamp duty due on a £1.2bn deal.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by loafer)
      So much BS in this post.

"it was a group on non-student anarchists". BULL, that is the same cop-out unsourced excuse that the EDL use. Reputable source plox.

"sending the royal limousine in the middle of the protest?". It was on Regent Street - categorically nowhere near the arranged protest, which was supposed to have finished over some 6 hours earlier, and some kilometres away.

Who knew that the violent thugs would go rampaging all over central London? If you knew that they would be doing this in advance - why didn't you tell the police?
      The police may not be completely at cause for the riots however they played their part. Dragging a disabled man out of his wheelchair was a clear stunt to provoke rage and violence. Also, why exactly was the police van in the previous protest left in the middle of the street? Clearly a tactic to provoke the riotous amongst the protesters to demonstrate violence and vandalism.

(Original post by HighSigh)
        The police may not be completely at cause for the riots however they played their part. Dragging a disabled man out of his wheelchair was a clear stunt to provoke rage and violence. Also, why exactly was the police van in the previous protest left in the middle of the street? Clearly a tactic to provoke the riotous amongst the protesters to demonstrate violence and vandalism.
        To be fair, he isn't a peaceful protestor at all, he even described himself as 'on the rampage'. He can walk and boasts of attacking police - on his own blog he boasts of shoving his own way through lines of riot police and climbing the 9 storey staircase to the top of CCHQ.

The photographer who recorded the 'confrontation' last week describes how the police put themselves in harms way to be as gentle as possible with him - until he lept up, angrily argued with an officer and tried to assault one of them, having to be held back by another protestor. He describes himself as a 'revolutionary' and if you still think that he is just a peaceful harmless disabled person randomly attacked by the police, i invite you to read another boast from his criminally extremist blog:

"Eventually, around 30 of us managed to break our way through into the Treasury. Unfortunately, the rest never made it".

"Me and Finlay immediately set to work, tearing down the metal barriers."

"We continued down the sixty stone steps at the other end of the Treasury road without so much as a pause for breath. We were on the rampage."

Poor, poor him, how dare the police touch him. #outrage.

IMO he is a violent ****er, who hides behind his wheelchair to manufacture outrage amongst people who are ignorant of who he is and his violent past.

You generally seem to be inserting your own unevidenced constructions and meanings into events that don't seem to have any.

There is no evidence to your claims about the 'intentions' of the police, you don't know and neither do I, but until there is any evidence to support your conspiracy theory it remains that, so excuse us if the mainstream don't buy your claptrap.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by loafer)
        To be fair, he isn't a peaceful protestor at all, he even described himself as 'on the rampage'. He can walk and boasts of attacking police - on his own blog he boasts of shoving his own way through lines of riot police and climbing the 9 storey staircase to the top of CCHQ.

The photographer who recorded the 'confrontation' last week describes how the police put themselves in harms way to be as gentle as possible with him - until he lept up, angrily argued with an officer and tried to assault one of them, having to be held back by another protestor. He describes himself as a 'revolutionary' and if you still think that he is just a peaceful harmless disabled person randomly attacked by the police, i invite you to read another boast from his criminally extremist blog:

"Eventually, around 30 of us managed to break our way through into the Treasury. Unfortunately, the rest never made it".

"Me and Finlay immediately set to work, tearing down the metal barriers."

"We continued down the sixty stone steps at the other end of the Treasury road without so much as a pause for breath. We were on the rampage."

Poor, poor him, how dare the police touch him. #outrage.

IMO he is a violent ****er, who hides behind his wheelchair to manufacture outrage amongst people who are ignorant of who he is and his violent past.

You generally seem to be inserting your own unevidenced constructions and meanings into events that don't seem to have any.

There is no evidence to your claims about the 'intentions' of the police, you don't know and neither do I, but until there is any evidence to support your conspiracy theory it remains that, so excuse us if the mainstream don't buy your claptrap.
        First of all, I have no problems with Jody McIntyres past. He is a fine individual fighting for equality.
        Ironically you attack me for making unevidenced claims, however you are quick to take a photographers account of the events.
        I congratulate him and Finlay.
        The only evidence regarding this incident is clear footage. Footage of a copper going out of his way to attack and abuse Jody.
        With regards to you representing the mainstream, don't make me laugh.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Captain Crash)
        You mean this guy?

I made a mistake - I was working on reports from th day which said a police officer was in critical condition in hospital. I hadn't come up to date. My apologies.

ReputationRep:
        The boy is an utter nutter and I hope he gets arrested for his part in this riots.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by fredscarecrow)
        I made a mistake - I was working on reports from th day which said a police officer was in critical condition in hospital. I hadn't come up to date. My apologies.
        I believe this is the big problem. There is a great deal of misinformation going around about police actions. I agree there was a some violence on that day, yes concrete blocks were thrown and paint (although i am yet to see proof of snooker balls which has been reported by the police, it is just taken as true). The prime minister himself said that a policeman had been dragged from his horse and beaten which as the video showed is untrue. Yet he has not apologized for this and thus a lot of people still believe that this occured.

Why are Police reports taken as gospel and reported as such???? Why is the other side of the argument whether you believe it is true or not reported???? The police spokeswoman was paraded on TV and was probably on there at least once an hour, yet the student's side of the events was barely ever heard and thus you get very one sides reporting.

ReputationRep:
        Lol at the officer who dragged the other two away.....Robocop:come on you two I'm telling your mum,Cripple beaters:Noooooo Gary don't she won't get me a happy meal on the way home.Gary:should of thought of that before.Other cripple beater: I need a wee wee, Gary: Use the wheel of the van then *sigh*
        • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by JMG89)
        I believe this is the big problem. There is a great deal of misinformation going around about police actions. I agree there was a some violence on that day, yes concrete blocks were thrown and paint (although i am yet to see proof of snooker balls which has been reported by the police, it is just taken as true). The prime minister himself said that a policeman had been dragged from his horse and beaten which as the video showed is untrue. Yet he has not apologized for this and thus a lot of people still believe that this occured.

Why are Police reports taken as gospel and reported as such???? Why is the other side of the argument whether you believe it is true or not reported???? The police spokeswoman was paraded on TV and was probably on there at least once an hour, yet the student's side of the events was barely ever heard and thus you get very one sides reporting.
        Because the students are idiots that damage their own cause when they are interviewed. three examples come to mind. First students claiming to be tear gassed. Second a women claiming that an officer stole her wallet? And thirdly a group of students claiming that without EMA they would be out on the street doing drug deals with no place to live

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Aj12)
        Because the students are idiots that damage their own cause when they are interviewed. three examples come to mind. First students claiming to be tear gassed. Second a women claiming that an officer stole her wallet? And thirdly a group of students claiming that without EMA they would be out on the street doing drug deals with no place to live

First of all, i thank you for calling me an idiot.

The first one i would like proof of, i have not heard this.

The second one, i would suggest you watch the youtube video of the first horse charge on i believe it was the 24th of November. At the start of the video a women is begging the police to give her bag back so that she has money to go home and live her life. Why would this women be asking for her purse back, if it hadn't been takaen away from her?? I can quite easily believe that during the pushing and shoving at a protest a policeman could grab someones purse whether to steal it or just randomly as people do lash out when under pressure.

The final claim, i think perhaps you should look at the reality of living in a poor area of London. Education is quite rightly seen as a way of improving your life, of trying to find a way out of the horrible life you live in fear, with people dealing drugs around, of violence that we see on the news from time to time. Many of these people probably have brothers and sisters who deal drugs, who are part of these gangs. But they have chosen to go into education and are receiving support for them to go to education. If they don't get support where does the money come from???? how do they afford the bus or books??? honestly if you have nothing and you need money to live, would you not deal drugs??? but if EMA is given so that they can go to school, they won't need to deal drugs to get money to survive isn't that better??

you ridicule what that person says because perhaps in your reality it does seem ridiculous but try living in an area where you have no hope and no opportunities and perhaps you would see the drug dealing is a very tempting way to help you get some money together.
        • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by JMG89)
        First of all, i thank you for calling me an idiot.

The first one i would like proof of, i have not heard this.

It was from the second march. She was interviewed by the BBC and claimed she had been tear gassed, in actual fact it was from fires and flares started by the students. I can't source it because I doubt the clip will be on the internet.

The second one, i would suggest you watch the youtube video of the first horse charge on i believe it was the 24th of November. At the start of the video a women is begging the police to give her bag back so that she has money to go home and live her life. Why would this women be asking for her purse back, if it hadn't been takaen away from her?? I can quite easily believe that during the pushing and shoving at a protest a policeman could grab someones purse whether to steal it or just randomly as people do lash out when under pressure.

Considering any officer found with a purse or bag that was not evidence would instantly lose their job I find that very hard to believe.

The final claim, i think perhaps you should look at the reality of living in a poor area of London. Education is quite rightly seen as a way of improving your life, of trying to find a way out of the horrible life you live in fear, with people dealing drugs around, of violence that we see on the news from time to time. Many of these people probably have brothers and sisters who deal drugs, who are part of these gangs. But they have chosen to go into education and are receiving support for them to go to education. If they don't get support where does the money come from???? how do they afford the bus or books??? honestly if you have nothing and you need money to live, would you not deal drugs??? but if EMA is given so that they can go to school, they won't need to deal drugs to get money to survive isn't that better??

EMA is being replaced by more targeted support for the poorest of the students. SO if the choice really is between education and drug dealing Im sure that they would be at the bottom of the scale and the most eligible for this support.

you ridicule what that person says because perhaps in your reality it does seem ridiculous but try living in an area where you have no hope and no opportunities and perhaps you would see the drug dealing is a very tempting way to help you get some money together.
        As above really. Also surely if you can afford to put yourself through school then college should not be much harder. Also claiming that without EMA your going to be living on the streets?:confused:

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Einheri)
        Give uneducated people authority, virtual unaccountability for their actions, and a weapon and you'll get this. The police were originally established to rough up the poor tenants of the wealthy and aristocratic, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. From what I've personally witnessed of the police they're little better than petty thugs for the most part.
        summed it up perfectly... well done mate.

--

my take: cameron bangs on about the student "yobs" who attend these demonstrations

he missed out on the other massive group of thugs who are at every student demo: the dirty rozzers who use their badge as a fuel to provoke often unnecessary violence

the fact that they had the sheer cheek to pull a man (who suffers from Cerebral Palsy) out of his wheelchair and handcuff him is ****ing disgusting. absolutely disgusting.

the officers who did it should be stripped of their badges and made an example of. end of.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.