Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Water Cannon at Student Demos? Conservatives Say NO... Watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    I am very confused.
    If they were not allowed to stay in Parliament Square, then why were they prevented from marching beyond Parliament Square and why were they kettled into Parliament Square?

And nobody told me or anyone else I knew that we were not allowed to be in Parliament Square
    Because they had already broken through one police line stopping them going into Parliament Square, due to the violence that had been breaking out throughout the day.

Also as I have already said if you show up to a march with no idea where it meant to be going then you're an idiot plain and simple.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pads)
    Reading this thread makes me realise how stupid some people are. Thinking that it was the police who started the violence and that policeman went round giving their friends black eyes for no reason. The person must of been right up in the police mans face to get a black eye.

It's hard not to be when hundreds of people are pushing you from behind, and the police are shouting "GET BACK! GET BACK". Who the think I am, Kitty Pryde? I got my ribs pushed to the point where I cried out as they were being bent from a police man pushing me back with his baton against my ribs. For merely being there, and with no other place to go (especially not backwards).

I'm a Labour supporter but I think the riots are ridiculous and the police should get really tough on them. If people want to fight then lets give the police rubber bullets and water cannons. Hey why not even get some tear gas out so we can see these people crying saying the police started it so therefore they are alowed to be violent?
    Tear gas is a legit tactic. It clears crowds effectively, with little to no injury. I'd rather have that, than cavalry charges, á la Peterloo.

I guess you're not old enough to be around when the Poll Tax riots occurred.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JMG89)
    sorry but it isn't failed logic. It is what happens in mainland europe. Have you not seen the riots there??/ Ours are tame in comparison. The police use water cannons there and they get petrol bombs thrown at them. There were no petrol bombs at the student protests. If they started to use them, people, me included would get incredibly angry and would come prepared for them using them.

Yeah they used water cannon in France because a mob of thugs had started breaking into shops and setting fire to cars.

Also use of a water cannon does not justify throwing petrol bombs. Especially when its the thugs that started it.

What kind of scum are you if your willing to throw a petrol bomb at someone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Well what kind of a pillock shows up the a march without knowing where it is going and without doing any kind of research into it?
    Nice ad hom, again.

Because I was busy due to revising, and I didn't know I could get the day off from labs and practicals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Because they had already broken through one police line stopping them going into Parliament Square, due to the violence that had been breaking out throughout the day.

Also as I have already said if you show up to a march with no idea where it meant to be going then you're an idiot plain and simple.
    Nope. I've already said, the march itself leading up to P Sq was wholly peaceful. And no police line was broken through to get into P Sq. Only the temporary fences to get onto the grassy area.

Ad hom.

Edit: The entrances to P Sq were not blocked off, as I stated before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pads)
    Ok can I ask you a question, and I want you to be very honest.

Did police walk up to protesters who werent next to a police line and assault them?

What you saying is police went into the kettled area, where police knew that it was dangerous for them to be as people would try kick them to death, and attacked protestors that where quietly sitting there.

Somehow I dont believe that happened.
    No, that is not what I have said.

1) As far as I saw, the police did not enter/infiltrate the kettle area far beyond the police lines.
    2) Except for when the police ran at the people at the front of the kettle and beat them with batons, regardless of whether or not those people presented a threat to the police
    3) And when mounted police charged at the crowd several times, trampling people and trying to push people back, but due to space constraints the crowd could not move
    4) At the back of the protest, when it was dark, cold and people were trying to leave, police were not allowing them to do so. 2-3 lines of people were sitting cross legged across the street on Whitehall as they had nowhere to go. I saw the police move towards them and beat people who were sitting down.

This is not a full account, but I hope those examples help.

Has that answered your question?
    Please do feel free to ask any further questions for clarification.

ReputationRep:
    Just a thought, how many police officers have been seriously injured by protesters?

I forgot about Blair Peach.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by channy)
    Nope. I've already said, the march itself leading up to P Sq was wholly peaceful. And no police line was broken through to get into P Sq. Only the temporary fences to get onto the grassy area.

Ad hom.
    Says you. Every account I have read and from watching coverage of the protest says different. Accounts from about 4 or 5 different newspapers from the guardian to the Times contradicts what your saying.

ReputationRep:
    Tear gas is a legit tactic. It clears crowds effectively, with little to no injury. I'd rather have that, than cavalry charges, á la Peterloo.

I guess you're not old enough to be around when the Poll Tax riots occurred.
    I was just about to be born when the poll tax riots happened.

But your point about being pushed is a good one until you take into consideration you must of been at the front then and seen the police line. I know what its like being in a crush like that and I also know that you can get out the back! Its like a concert where everyone wants to get to the front. If you dont want to be at the front you push to the back which isnt easy but dont pretend you cant do it cos you can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    And you claim protesters showed up to be peaceful:rolleyes:
    Yes those dangerous students using polystyrene sheilds to attack coppers. They could kill somone with those, being incredibly heavy and all. They could use the corners perhaps to poke people. aaaaaaaaaaaahhhh lets ban all Polstyrene so that it can't be used to kill policeman. What if they inhale the small balls that make up polystyrene they might choke. HOW DARE PROTESTERS TRY AND CHOKE THE POLICE. THEY ARE THE DEVIL'S CHILDREN.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Well what kind of a pillock shows up the a march without knowing where it is going and without doing any kind of research into it?
    I did as much research as I could and apart from the 12pm UCL union, Malet St and the date etc, there was very little information about the march and certainly saw no police agreed route.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JMG89)
    Yes those dangerous students using polystyrene sheilds to attack coppers. They could kill somone with those, being incredibly heavy and all. They could use the corners perhaps to poke people. aaaaaaaaaaaahhhh lets ban all Polstyrene so that it can't be used to kill policeman. What if they inhale the small balls that make up polystyrene they might choke. HOW DARE PROTESTERS TRY AND CHOKE THE POLICE. THEY ARE THE DEVIL'S CHILDREN.
    Or you know they could use the metal fencing they picked up and ammed into police line. Or flares they through at police. Or snooker balls they threw at police. Or wooden sticks they attacked police with. Or as I saw in some cases even tried stealing police batons to attack police with.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Says you. Every account I have read and from watching coverage of the protest says different. Accounts from about 4 or 5 different newspapers from the guardian to the Times contradicts what your saying.
    Says me, who was there. Says you, who wasn't. Says you, who laps up everything the media says.

The Guardian article is so convoluted, you can hardly begin to construct a coherent space of events from that.

No police line was broken to get into Parliament Square.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Yeah they used water cannon in France because a mob of thugs had started breaking into shops and setting fire to cars.

Also use of a water cannon does not justify throwing petrol bombs. Especially when its the thugs that started it.

What kind of scum are you if your willing to throw a petrol bomb at someone?
    haha i wouldn't personally, you just made that up. What i meant is that i would wear full waterproofs and some goggles.

however i'm sure some people would use petrols bombs as demonstrated in Greece etc. However have you seen what water cannons do to people??

http://thethirdestate.net/2010/12/th...water-cannons/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Eh? I have heard no account of violence during the march. I did not hear a police line was broken through at P Square. Violence was not breaking out until people were trapped in P Square.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    I did as much research as I could and apart from the 12pm UCL union, Malet St and the date etc, there was very little information about the march and certainly saw no police agreed route.
    he Metropolitan Police Service is extremely disappointed with the actions of many protestors who from a very early stage deviated from the agreed route. There were people on this protest who came with no intention other than one of violence and to commit disorder

http://cms.met.police.uk/news/policy...tral_london__1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pads)
    I was just about to be born when the poll tax riots happened.

But your point about being pushed is a good one until you take into consideration you must of been at the front then and seen the police line. I know what its like being in a crush like that and I also know that you can get out the back! Its like a concert where everyone wants to get to the front. If you dont want to be at the front you push to the back which isnt easy but dont pretend you cant do it cos you can.
    Personally, I tried to see if I could get out, as I had a date that afternoon. Quite naive by me, actually, to not consider the factor of being kettled.

ReputationRep:
    Nice ad hom, again.

Because I was busy due to revising, and I didn't know I could get the day off from labs and practicals.
    I researched it and found no detailed info of an agreed route march.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Says me, who was there. Says you, who wasn't. Says you, who laps up everything the media says.

The Guardian article is so convoluted, you can hardly begin to construct a coherent space of events from that.

No police line was broken to get into Parliament Square.
    :facepalm2: SO I should believe you over every media outlet that reported the event and the police and the government.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JMG89)
    haha i wouldn't personally, you just made that up. What i meant is that i would wear full waterproofs and some goggles.

however i'm sure some people would use petrols bombs as demonstrated in Greece etc. However have you seen what water cannons do to people??

http://thethirdestate.net/2010/12/th...water-cannons/
    I have and I do not support their use in this country.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 18, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.