Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why are people so ignorant about suicide and depression? Watch

ReputationRep:
    It is in general simply ignorance that leads people to think a depressed person is weak.

My mum for example. I've had depression for four years and I only just told my mum about it - she told me she can't understand how I always revert to negative thoughts. I can't understand it either, it's just what I do. It has really got to the point where I can't even remember how to think positively - it sounds ridiculous and I know it is ridiculous but I can't help it. Simple things. If I get 80% on a piece of work, I blame myself for the missing 20%. I never think about the 80%. If I am stressed, I panic and make myself more stressed by saying "oh for gods sake, it's not difficult, get on with it." I never put it into perspective. I always feel like it's the end of the world. :rolleyes: I insult myself on a daily basis without even thinking actually, I'm allowed to have a bad day, I can't be perfect all the time. I can't make myself understand this fact though. I set my standards so high that I will never reach them, and then I feel useless. It's all well and good someone telling me 'set your goals lower' - I don't know HOW.

It really is just a lack of understanding. I don't blame anyone for that, because I personally don't understand it either. It doesn't really make sense how someone can get so low, or why one person does and another person gets through it.

I am aware that anyone could read this and say that I'm just a pessimist, which is a fair point. I know how I feel, so I'm not going to tell you the ins and outs of my life to prove anything.

Until you experience it yourself you will never truly understand it. Or, like me, even if you do experience it you still won't understand it. :p: However, it's just something that's there and I'm slowly dealing with it. At the moment it's winning, but I get to go home on friday, so maybe I'll feel better in my own bed and with my cat on my lap.

Thanks for the thread, there have been some interesting posts.

ReputationRep:
    We are not just chemical imbalances!!!! the whole mind aspect elevates us above all other species.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IndigoRockGirl)
    Being an 'utter pussy' does not lead to a chemical imbalance.
    Where did you get your stupidity from? being an utter ****?
    Actually, it is your mood that leads to depression. I have known many friends with depression and it starts with them being very negative which then results in the chemical imbalance because their brains becomes accustom to producing that negative chemical.

(Original post by markrush)
    How do you therefore explain the people that have a big house, success, family, everything you mentioned and more?
    Because those people have no idea what actually makes them happy, even after all those years.

(Original post by theths)
    well. this is a huge generalisation.
    Not at all. Everyone I have known who has had depression has not had a genuine problem eg. Health problems, parents who beat them etc.

ReputationRep:
    Negative self-suggestion leads to negative mental illnesses, that's all it is in theory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbo1234)
    Actually, it is your mood that leads to depression. I have known many friends with depression and it starts with them being very negative which then results in the chemical imbalance because their brains becomes accustom to producing that negative chemical.

Because those people have no idea what actually makes them happy, even after all those years.

Not at all. Everyone I have known who has had depression has not had a genuine problem eg. Health problems, parents who beat them etc.
    Yes.. but people's moods aren't affected by how much of a 'pussy' they are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    So I was reading this thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...9#post28902489

and I'm completely shocked and appalled at some of the responses, for example:

"Suicide is for the weakminded"
    "Survival of the fittest, he deserved to die"
    "I have no sympathy with people who do this selfish act" etc.

How can people be so heartless and ignorant? Also, surely people should be more angry at the bullies? That poor boy died because of some cold hearted, foul people who were complete and utter cowards.

Depression is a chemical imbalance for Gods sake, I don't know why people see it any differently from any other illness. Having it does NOT make you weak in any way, no more than having any other illness does. Why the ignorance and the judgement?

The problem here is the bullies, surely more should be done to combat bullying and abuse?

Urgh this makes me ridiculously angry. People who've never had depression or felt suicidal have no right to judge.
    It is because they have not experienced it themselves. It is virtually impossible to understand how someone else feels for these people.

P.s. It is nice to hear you saying something nice!

ReputationRep:
    I had depression. I considered suicide. I decided I was being a pussy and quickly overcame my troubles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    So I was reading this thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...9#post28902489

How can people be so heartless and ignorant? Also, surely people should be more angry at the bullies? That poor boy died because of some cold hearted, foul people who were complete and utter cowards.

Depression is a chemical imbalance for Gods sake, I don't know why people see it any differently from any other illness. Having it does NOT make you weak in any way, no more than having any other illness does. Why the ignorance and the judgement?

The problem here is the bullies, surely more should be done to combat bullying and abuse?

Urgh this makes me ridiculously angry. People who've never had depression or felt suicidal have no right to judge.
    its 25% down to the surroundings 75% down to how the person deals with it. say you're a bit tubby and people keep laughing at you for it call you fat tits or whatever, you now have 3 choices,
    1.get depressed, complain about all the things that are wrong with you and keep
    getting laughed at and of course get even more depressed.. cycle goes on!

2. say **** YOU to everyone and take the piss out of them, basically be a bit light hearted about it, not take it too seriously

3. if you're that bothered about it, DO something about it, change the attitude to im gona be the best, most fit person out there

BTW just an example lol not aimed at you or anyone on this page

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LazyWorseThanInfidel)
    It is because they have not experienced it themselves. It is virtually impossible to understand how someone else feels for these people.

P.s. It is nice to hear you saying something nice!
    Thankyou!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flubadiblam)
    its 25% down to the surroundings 75% down to how the person deals with it. say you're a bit tubby and people keep laughing at you for it call you fat tits or whatever, you now have 3 choices,
    1.get depressed, complain about all the things that are wrong with you and keep
    getting laughed at and of course get even more depressed.. cycle goes on!

2. say **** YOU to everyone and take the piss out of them, basically be a bit light hearted about it, not take it too seriously

3. if you're that bothered about it, DO something about it, change the attitude to im gona be the best, most fit person out there

BTW just an example lol not aimed at you or anyone on this page
    No one chooses to get depressed. People react differently, I think that's slightly unfair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IndigoRockGirl)
    Yes.. but people's moods aren't affected by how much of a 'pussy' they are.
    Ok, I'll rephrase it too ' How weak and insecure they are'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)

i fully agree with you

ReputationRep:
    Pretty obvious, isn't it? It affects the mind, not the body, so it's incredibly difficult (or so I understand - I've never been depressed, and would need seek to claim I understand how it feels) to describe in words how it feels.

That said, like all issues with the mind, it's not as cut and dry as "other illnesses". You either have cancer, or you don't - likewise with diabetes, ulcers, a broken leg or an inflamed intestines. All mental issues (by which I mean issues with ones mind, not physical damage as in the case of oxygen starved brains or accident victims) are far more complicated and often do involve will power and a battle for control. In the same way no one doubts that female periods play havok with ones emotions, you can't use that to justify shouting at people - it's an explanation, not an excuse, and likewise you could still not shout. I think part of the trouble is that people are so aghast at the idea of taking responsibility for themselves, that it's often easier to believe that it's merely a chemical imbalance. That's not to say I'm doubt the existence of a chemical imbalance - I know nothing about it - but I strongly suspect it's about far, far more than that, else there'd be a simple medicine to cure people. And there's not.

So of course there's "ignorance" - I think anyone that claims to truly understand depression is naive at best and a con-artist at worst.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)

Yeah, I agree.

I often have depression, and so get very sad and depressed in cycles, almost for no reason. It feels pretty horrible, and you feel like crap usually for weeks at a time. To be able to cope with that for the rest of my life, I think I'm pretty strong-willed to be honest.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I can understand depression - it's not something that can necessarily be prevented.
    Nor can suicidal thoughts.
    However acting on those thoughts is a choice certain people make, and to me that is weak, to give up rather than come back fighting so to speak.

ReputationRep:
    How does one go about becoming depressed?

I kinda want to be, so I can justify my opinion on the matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by siani-chan)
    It is in general simply ignorance that leads people to think a depressed person is weak.

My mum for example. I've had depression for four years and I only just told my mum about it - she told me she can't understand how I always revert to negative thoughts. I can't understand it either, it's just what I do. It has really got to the point where I can't even remember how to think positively - it sounds ridiculous and I know it is ridiculous but I can't help it. Simple things. If I get 80% on a piece of work, I blame myself for the missing 20%. I never think about the 80%. If I am stressed, I panic and make myself more stressed by saying "oh for gods sake, it's not difficult, get on with it." I never put it into perspective. I always feel like it's the end of the world. :rolleyes: I insult myself on a daily basis without even thinking actually, I'm allowed to have a bad day, I can't be perfect all the time. I can't make myself understand this fact though. I set my standards so high that I will never reach them, and then I feel useless. It's all well and good someone telling me 'set your goals lower' - I don't know HOW.

It really is just a lack of understanding. I don't blame anyone for that, because I personally don't understand it either. It doesn't really make sense how someone can get so low, or why one person does and another person gets through it.

I am aware that anyone could read this and say that I'm just a pessimist, which is a fair point. I know how I feel, so I'm not going to tell you the ins and outs of my life to prove anything.

Until you experience it yourself you will never truly understand it. Or, like me, even if you do experience it you still won't understand it. :p: However, it's just something that's there and I'm slowly dealing with it. At the moment it's winning, but I get to go home on friday, so maybe I'll feel better in my own bed and with my cat on my lap.

Thanks for the thread, there have been some interesting posts.
    You've basically just described me. Minus the cat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don John)
    You've basically just described me. Minus the cat.
    It's nice to know someone understands.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Sorry, but I find it incredibly ironic that you've made a thread about the ignorance surrounding depression and you come out with speil that is considered to be laughable in the scientific community.
    Exactly THIS

She has no idea what she's talking about. Just talking gibberish.
    (Original post by Holly Hiskey)
    I'm just quoting you to say well done for your posts, they were really interesting.
    I think the reason people tend not to take depression seriously is because a) it's over-used (I'm thinking teenage girls who claim to be depressed after their boyfriends dumped them and then recover when another boy asks them out etc etc) and b) because if you haven't had it, then it's very difficult why you would ever have that kind of mental state.
    And this too.

I'm so happy I'm not the only one who thinks like this. People throw the word about so loosely I really can't stand it.

Everyday you'll see some idiot who has clearly just had a bad day saying they're are depressed without having received professional diagnosis in HnR forum.

I REALLY can't stand it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbo1234)
    fair enough, but forgive me if i say "everyone you know" is not exactly necessarily a representative sample

on another note
    we might not see "no new stuff" as a serious problem, and in a lot of cases, it isn't - people are just greedy little ****s
    but materialism as a whole has led to all sorts of new problems, and i'd say genuinely seeing yourself as being in relative poverty can be very damaging indeed

in a study conducted by harvard, something like 70% of students surveyed chose option A over B:
    A: you earn 45,000, everyone else earns 30,000
    B: you earn 100,000, everyone else earns 250,000

ergo, people are VERY rivalrous when it comes to income

i'm digressing, but yeah basically what i wanted to say is that depression is a deep thing and i don't really thing we can pass off other people's problems as insignificant, no matter what they are
    it's like those people who come up with "yh but children are starving in africa" in response to somebody's self-pity. not endearing. at all.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.