Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A child’s life needs to be GOVERNED and CONTROLLED Watch

ReputationRep:
    OP - it's a nice idea but you are up against an entire generation that wants to see the complete destruction of this country and culture, intentionally "not raising" their children because it is child abuse to do so. Let them roam free. Let them bum other men, let them inject drugs, let them get pregnant at 13, encourage them to throw off the shackles of confident gender identity and to fall into a decade of confusion and upset.

ReputationRep:
    I was brought up with class, decency etc. Consequently, I know that the correct way to mug someone in the bus shelter is on horseback, preferably with hounds. With one's pipe behind one's ear for when it's time for tiffin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    That's just one policy, it may not help everyone but it would help some.
    No it wouldn't. It would just be spending a lot of tax money on middle class families. Lower income families can't generally afford to have a parent staying at home (and a tiny amount of money from the tax allowance would not change that). It's an extraordinarily inefficient way of helping these families. Benefits are a better way of targeting this kind of money.

(Original post by .Ali.)
    Everyone has days off.
    Everyone had a car.
    Well you don't have to do it all the time, so if they did it occasionally, they'd be able to afford it?
    They're like £1
    You can make your own. As well as bought books, my mother used to draw me pictures (she's a good artist) and tell me stories relating to them.
    Use whatever food you have in the house.

They don't cost loads though.
    It pains me to think that you're not trolling. Everyone has a car? What world are you living in? I can assure you that plenty of families cannot afford a car (and also that some who could have had to sell them since the recession). Seriously, when you're older, try living on the minimum wage, and see how your perceptions change. Some families don't always have food in the house, let alone enough to make a picnic out of it. Many parents (predominately in the lower classes, unfortunately) themselves struggle with literacy. And many of those parents don't have particularly satisfying jobs, and need to come home and try to destress.

(Original post by .Ali.)
    Yes, I can. But they still have weekends I do understand that for families with less money and/or more children (I'm an only child) it'd be harder. Not impossible though.
    I don't think you've thought this through at all. Instead of just assuming these families can and should do more, go and find some, get to know them, and then see what you think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    Agreed with the first point. Although my point about costs still stands about trips to places and the like.

The second point, once again you fail to realise how little money some people have. If I wanted a car right now I'd have to have at least £2000 (car + insurance) - if not more (once we start adding in Tax, MOT, petrol, money incase something breaks etc. And if I hadn't already passed my test, then that cost would be an awful lot higher.
    I can understand that actually, I do see the point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dreiviergrenadier)
    No it wouldn't. It would just be spending a lot of tax money on middle class families. Lower income families can't generally afford to have a parent staying at home (and a tiny amount of money from the tax allowance would not change that). It's an extraordinarily inefficient way of helping these families. Benefits are a better way of targeting this kind of money.
    The policy makes a lot of sense when you think about it. Also, benefits encourage people to rely on the state.

It pains me to think that you're not trolling. Everyone has a car? What world are you living in? I can assure you that plenty of families cannot afford a car (and also that some who could have had to sell them since the recession). Seriously, when you're older, try living on the minimum wage, and see how your perceptions change. Some families don't always have food in the house, let alone enough to make a picnic out of it. Many parents (predominately in the lower classes, unfortunately) themselves struggle with literacy. And many of those parents don't have particularly satisfying jobs, and need to come home and try to destress.
    Okay granted about the car, I've always assumed everyone has one, but maybe they don't. Also, what better way to destress than spending quality time with your child?

I don't think you've thought this through at all. Instead of just assuming these families can and should do more, go and find some, get to know them, and then see what you think.
    I have, I don't see why it's that hard to do things with your child. Look:

- Library books. Free, most places have libraries, you can read to and educate your child

- Take them for a walk. Yes, you can only do this is you live in the country or have a car, but for those who do, they can do this. Sit down with them, talk to them about wildlife, teach them to be sensitive to the environment etc.

- Free attractions. Again, not everyone has these, but you can go to free museums and stuff if they're available.

- Youth theatre productions, it's cheaper than the actual theatre and they're pretty good usually.

- Educational TV programs

- Sitting down and drawing and colouring with your child

I could go on. It's not that hard to do some of these.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potiron)
    I was brought up with class, decency etc. Consequently, I know that the correct way to mug someone in the bus shelter is on horseback, preferably with hounds. With one's pipe behind one's ear for when it's time for tiffin.
    Haha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CountMancula)
    No, you seem to be missing the point. Mathematics = school. This is OUTSIDE of school in an attempt to add more class, respect and knowledge to children.
    how do you equate manners and "class" with history, and what should we teach them, Oliver Cromwell? Edward Longshanks? Henry 8th? The histroy of Britain is hardly one of benevolent enlightment, more of intolerant regime, religious persecution and conquest. You say Oliver Cromwell to be tauhgt, yes i agree, so we can make damn sure a monster like that hideous monstronsity of a man can never come to power again.

In some ways your idea has merit, but thats because i beleive we should know where we came from. If i ever had kids, i would do my best make sure they would learn Irish histroy, music and culture, to be proud of the blood in thier viens. But i wouldnt force them to learn it, i would rather encourage an interest that shove it down thier throats.

(Original post by R3L4Y)
    I would never let my children read harry potter. Harry Potter is the symbol for authority disobeyance.
    in which case they will read it when your not around. Assuming they like to read of course.

Parents should be teaching thees values and manners and respect, NOT the xbox 360 that becomes a babysitter

ReputationRep:
    If everyone had class and culture it would defeat the point of having class and culture.

ReputationRep:
    I agre with your thread in some ways but disagree with many parts of it.

Force feeding british culture. Not everyone in Britain has "british heritage" I am half turkish, quarter english and a quarter irish, probably a bit of german too. Countries in my opinion are mere boundaries drawn on land where former governments/gangs/armies have claimed as there own. It makes no difference to me what location on earth you were born to me. I have travelled many places in the world and have some respect for every culture as there is something to learn everywhere. Most so called "english" people are probably russian, french, polish, italian, scottish etc. Who cares. A child should learn SOCIOLOGY. The study of societies not just "british society is amazing and superior". A child should learn that there is usually two different or many different views to an opinion and history is written by the victors.

Things like alchohol, it is your opinion that Alchohol is bad. But that is just that YOUR OPINION.

It is easy to judge others who are born in poor conditions, in bad families who also come from abused backgrounds because they may get benefits or swear a lot or whatever. Who are you to judge.

Whats wrong with being rebellious. Right now I am of the opinion that society in general are slaves to the rich. Why the **** shouldnt i be angry or be rebellious to that. Why shouldnt kids be rebellious towards their parents, their parents dont OWN them. Kids are a part of the world just like an apple came from a tree they are not the parents little plaything.

I think personally children should learn meditation from a very young age, as well as things like martial arts, work experience, travel etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    how do you equate manners and "class" with history, and what should we teach them, Oliver Cromwell? Edward Longshanks? Henry 8th? The histroy of Britain is hardly one of benevolent enlightment, more of intolerant regime, religious persecution and conquest. You say Oliver Cromwell to be tauhgt, yes i agree, so we can make damn sure a monster like that hideous monstronsity of a man can never come to power again.

In some ways your idea has merit, but thats because i beleive we should know where we came from. If i ever had kids, i would do my best make sure they would learn Irish histroy, music and culture, to be proud of the blood in thier viens. But i wouldnt force them to learn it, i would rather encourage an interest that shove it down thier throats.
    Trust me, learning history and British culture will improve a child’s mentality. I think visiting the stately homes and historic sites will really benefit them too. It will take them away from the inner city slums and to the more pleasant areas of this country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sinbad23)
    I agre with your thread in some ways but disagree with many parts of it.

Force feeding british culture. Not everyone in Britain has "british heritage" I am half turkish, quarter english and a quarter irish, probably a bit of german too. Countries in my opinion are mere boundaries drawn on land where former governments/gangs/armies have claimed as there own. It makes no difference to me what location on earth you were born to me. I have travelled many places in the world and have some respect for every culture as there is something to learn everywhere. Most so called "english" people are probably russian, french, polish, italian, scottish etc. Who cares. A child should learn SOCIOLOGY. The study of societies not just "british society is amazing and superior". A child should learn that there is usually two different or many different views to an opinion and history is written by the victors.

Things like alchohol, it is your opinion that Alchohol is bad. But that is just that YOUR OPINION.

It is easy to judge others who are born in poor conditions, in bad families who also come from abused backgrounds because they may get benefits or swear a lot or whatever. Who are you to judge.

Whats wrong with being rebellious. Right now I am of the opinion that society in general are slaves to the rich. Why the **** shouldnt i be angry or be rebellious to that. Why shouldnt kids be rebellious towards their parents, their parents dont OWN them. Kids are a part of the world just like an apple came from a tree they are not the parents little plaything.

I think personally children should learn meditation from a very young age, as well as things like martial arts, work experience, travel etc
    I have every right to judge. Everyone on here knows and hates the type of person I am talking about. I am addressing the situation. The best way to do it is to indulge them from a young age with British class, heritage and history. No, British History is FAR from a good example, but it will show them how this country was established, the great names/heroes and how this country has become a state in which everyone has a right (which is another issue all together).

In regards to alcohol, I am not saying its bad. I drink. But it’s not right for groups of youths to be drinking cheap booze outside a corner shop or wherever their dwelling is.

ReputationRep:
    Trust me, learning history and British culture will improve a child’s mentality. I think visiting the stately homes and historic sites will really benefit them too. It will take them away from the inner city slums and to the more pleasant areas of this country.
    Except of course, you do that in school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    in which case they will read it when your not around. Assuming they like to read of course.

Parents should be teaching thees values and manners and respect, NOT the xbox 360 that becomes a babysitter
    Erm..no they wont. Cos..without harry potter they will learn to obey authority. XXXXXX

ReputationRep:
    Except of course, you do that in school.
    The school curriculum for history and heritage is rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    My middle class friends swear, drink and cause as much trouble as my working class friends. This 'hate on the chav' mentality is just a distraction from the wider problem we face from youths of the entire social class spectrum. Was David Cameron and his friends not endowed with British class, heritage and history. Did that stop them from joining the bullingdon club and causing thousands of pounds of damage? I suppose prince Harry is an angel. Simply force feeding children this upper class agenda will not solve the problem and is certainly no silver bullet.

ReputationRep:
    A child's life is mainly at the heart of the parents.

ReputationRep:
    The school curriculum for history and heritage is rubbish.
    Then why not simply improve it?
    You seemed to think maths should stay in the classroom, so why not history?
    Personally, I don't think anything should stay just in the classroom, and quite often you can learn things in the most unexpected of places (take a wander around Bristol Temple Meads station for example, that will help you appreciate our past engineering achievements and skill).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reformed2010)
    My middle class friends swear, drink and cause as much trouble as my working class friends. This 'hate on the chav' mentality is just a distraction from the wider problem we face from youths of the entire social class spectrum. Was David Cameron and his friends not endowed with British class, heritage and history. Did that stop them from joining the bullingdon club and causing thousands of pounds of damage? I suppose prince Harry is an angel. Simply force feeding children this upper class agenda will not solve the problem and is certainly no silver bullet.
    The Bullingdon Club is a very historic club. I would love to be a part of it.
    Yes, they may be a lavish at time, but at least its classier. I am not here to stop fun - I want to add class, IQ and knowledge to the modern stupid youth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    The policy makes a lot of sense when you think about it.
    I have thought about it and it makes no sense whatsoever. It means that money is given to families who don't need it, it doesn't address any specific problems, and no-one who needs help gets it. But feel free to explain why it makes sense.

(Original post by .Ali.)
    Also, benefits encourage people to rely on the state.
    Most of the people i know who receive benefits are dependant on food, shelter, clothes and heating, not the state. People should be able to rely on the state to help with these things, and on their fellow citizens not to be complete imbeciles about it. I doubt you have anything other than dogma to support your view of benefits.

(Original post by .Ali.)
    Okay granted about the car, I've always assumed everyone has one, but maybe they don't. Also, what better way to destress than spending quality time with your child?
    I don't know what kind of child you were, but i don't imagine that spending time trying to get a child to sit still and listen to a parent they rarely see is the least stressful of activities.

(Original post by .Ali.)
    I have, I don't see why it's that hard to do things with your child.
    You've got to know families whose children behave this way? As in, spoken to them about the kind of pressures and stresses they face, the time constraints, their local environment etc?

(Original post by .Ali.)
    Look:

- Library books. Free, most places have libraries, you can read to and educate your child

- Take them for a walk. Yes, you can only do this is you live in the country or have a car, but for those who do, they can do this. Sit down with them, talk to them about wildlife, teach them to be sensitive to the environment etc.

- Free attractions. Again, not everyone has these, but you can go to free museums and stuff if they're available.

- Youth theatre productions, it's cheaper than the actual theatre and they're pretty good usually.

- Educational TV programs

- Sitting down and drawing and colouring with your child

I could go on. It's not that hard to do some of these.
    Surely, at this point in the conversation, given what you've shown about your assumptions and preconceptions, you should have thought to yourself 'Hang on, i don't have the slightest clue what it's like to be in this situation. Maybe i should stop judging people based on what i experienced, and invest some time into discovering the reality.'

ReputationRep:
    Then why not simply improve it?
    You seemed to think maths should stay in the classroom, so why not history?
    Personally, I don't think anything should stay just in the classroom, and quite often you can learn things in the most unexpected of places (take a wander around Bristol Temple Meads station for example, that will help you appreciate our past engineering achievements and skill).
    You're backing up one of my points though...take the kids to these places. Let them see great cathedrals, stately homes, Norman castles, Victorian engineering. Take them away from the usual rubbish that's ploughed into their head!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.