Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

lawyers launch legal challenge to kettling Watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pothead1)
    I'm sure they are aware of this and they will bring some new angles/arguments to the table to distinguish their case from the above decision. I don't think they are looking for kettling to be found against the ECHR as a blanket rule, but rather it be found against the articles in these specific circumstances.
    I doubt it. The guy is representing his own daughter, which raises questions as to why he is bringing this up in court.

ReputationRep:
    Throw some molotovs to break the kettling

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Actually within a square mile of parliment it is legal to ban protests
    Really? Interesting, I didn't know that...
    Wouldn't that just jeopordise other areas of London? I mean, Parliament as a rallying point makes sense and is convenient, but it isn't the only place protesters could go? If that makes sense at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by channy)
    Good for you, I like horses too, but I can't afford lessons etc. Same with most people there, they have no experiences with horses (or any animals of that size). Of course they are going to panic and lash out.

I didn't realise they were quite so tall, esp with an officer (sorry, animal) riding it.

They shouldn't have brought them in the first place.

TTYL x
    You would prefer a batton than a hourse then would you? Fair choice....
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain92)
    Really? Interesting, I didn't know that...
    Wouldn't that just jeopordise other areas of London? I mean, Parliament as a rallying point makes sense and is convenient, but it isn't the only place protesters could go? If that makes sense at all.
    Tbh Im not sure if the law has been repealed or not but you need written permission to protest within London from the police. Something to do with one of the terror acts. Its a pretty draconian law

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Tbh Im not sure if the law has been repealed or not but you need written permission to protest within London from the police. Something to do with one of the terror acts. Its a pretty draconian law
    Yea, everyone shold just be allowed to riot freely anywhere they like....that makes sense doesnt it.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by profoflife)
    Yea, everyone shold just be allowed to riot freely anywhere they like....that makes sense doesnt it.....
    Not all protests turn into riots. Would have been pretty ironic if the "get out of Iraq" protests turned ugly lol
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Yes because legitimate protesting is the same as rioting.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Yes because legitimate protesting is the same as rioting.:rolleyes:
    Very fine line i think....what do you think would happen if a protest had no crowd control??

It is a matter of natural human group dynamics....there would be serious unrest among the group if they are not controlled.

Dont get me wrong, i agree with protesting as a form of democratic right, but needs to be under observation....cant allow people to just roam around freely....it is for our safety as well as the people not involved int he protest as well.

Im sure there were peacful protesters that got inadvertantly caught up in the violent part and may even got hurt in the process by police or the inertia of the crowd....that is why the crowd should be controlled....TO PROTECT US!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Very fine line i think....what do you think would happen if a protest had no crowd control??

It is a matter of natural human group dynamics....there would be serious unrest among the group if they are not controlled.

Dont get me wrong, i agree with protesting as a form of democratic right, but needs to be under observation....cant allow people to just roam around freely....it is for our safety as well as the people not involved int he protest as well.

Im sure there were peacful protesters that got inadvertantly caught up in the violent part and may even got hurt in the process by police or the inertia of the crowd....that is why the crowd should be controlled....TO PROTECT US!
    I agree with crowds being controlled as well. Im not arguing for a uncontrolled march through London. Just that it is wrong for the government to outlaw peaceful protest in public areas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    I agree with crowds being controlled as well. Im not arguing for a uncontrolled march through London. Just that it is wrong for the government to outlaw peaceful protest in public areas.
    Evidently from recent experience, some public places are not so good to have crowds wondering around, such as Millbank. Its a precaution and you can surely understand why there are some places that the authorities, not the government by the way, would not allow it.

Again, its for the protection of people.

ReputationRep:
    Evidently from recent experience, some public places are not so good to have crowds wondering around, such as Millbank. Its a precaution and you can surely understand why there are some places that the authorities, not the government by the way, would not allow it.

Again, its for the protection of people.
    They need a better system for letting the peaceful protesters get out and keep them out of harms way. From my experience last Thursday it would have been totally possible for the police to let the obviously peaceful people out as the most violent mainly stuck to one area and a lot of exits just had a lot of people standing around or sitting and waiting to be let out.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LawQueen)
    They need a better system for letting the peaceful protesters get out and keep them out of harms way. From my experience last Thursday it would have been totally possible for the police to let the obviously peaceful people out as the most violent mainly stuck to one area and a lot of exits just had a lot of people standing around or sitting and waiting to be let out.
    Few of the MP's raised this point. Next protest the police are going to use snatch squads to get rid of the ring leaders and the ones instigating violence

ReputationRep:
    I would prefer the water cannons be brought in instead of kettling. Water cannon riots are much more fun to watch on tv too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSimpson)
    I would prefer the water cannons be brought in instead of kettling. Water cannon riots are much more fun to watch on tv too!
    So you'd like to see peaceful protestors like this would you?
    http://www.thelocal.de/national/20101006-30295.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    So you'd like to see peaceful protestors like this would you?
    http://www.thelocal.de/national/20101006-30295.html
    If you read the article it's the man's fault he was hit cos he was trying to save some other protesters from the water cannon, he shouldn't of put himself in harm's way, you gotta runnnnnn!!!

At least with the water cannons it gives people a choice to either stay and fight (and subsequently get soaked) or go home. With kettling, you don't have a choice, you just gotta stand there and suffer.

ReputationRep:
    I do agree about letting the quiet ones home and also not using a kettle pre emptively which is what happened. The march was actually stopped by police as students were corralled into the kettle.
    There are serious questions to be asked about the security of Charles and Camilla.
    I suspect a reason for holding the students in the kettle for so many hours was to wait until the Royal Variety Show was over and Charles and Camilla and others went home. If so, then it is an example of seriously inappropriate methods to ensure Royal security. Thousands of peaceful young people cannot be deprived of their liberty and food and water and warmth and shelter simply to ensure Royal security

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 17, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.