Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I did AS Japanese, and doing A2 now. I self-study, so it's just me ^^ Japanese tends to be 50/50 boys and girls, as there's a lot of "kawaii" (cute) aspects of Japan, but a lot of "otaku" geeky/techy aspects, too.

I dunno if this is relevant, but i did 4 languages at GCSE and got 4 A*s. And the classes i was in were almost split equally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawlet)
    you can't get an A* at AS.
    Yeah you can. I got one in German, and that was two years earlier than I should've taken it (i.e. 2009)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LRJones)
    Yeah you can. I got one in German, and that was two years earlier than I should've taken it (i.e. 2009)
    you actually can't, you can get an A* for A level but only an A for AS.

ReputationRep:
    I can echo the sentiments of previous posters, my French AS class last year was ~5:10 boys:girls. A2 is ~6:12. GCSE Spanish was ~5:12, AS Spanish is ~3:13. AS Italian is ~6:7, and A2 Italian ~6:5. The Japanese class I was in last year was fairly 50:50, but this year is overwhelmingly female - I'm the only guy still coming.

ReputationRep:
    My IB French B SL class seems to be evenly split 50-50. then again, all the IB students at my school are forced to take French, so we really have no choice

however, I took German last year, and in our class of about 20 students, there were only 5 girls.

ReputationRep:
    In my french class there are only 4 girls, in my german class there are 4 girls and 1 boy (AS). However in the year above's (A2) french class there are 2 girls and 1 boy and in their german there are 4 boys and 1 girl.

ReputationRep:
    well i do AS french and spanish and im a boy and i do GCSE italian and i was the only person to do GCSE chinese at my skoool - everyone else wasted this perfect opportunity :O

so ye im a boy and i love languages!!!! want to learn japanese / arabic just coz they sound very difficult

yay

ReputationRep:
    I'm not liking all these generalisations! I study Italian and German A-Levels, I've studied French and Spanish (now teaching myself ha, kinda successfully) and I've applied for various combinations of Italian/Spanish/Portuguese/Dutch at uni. Everyone has different reasons for choosing what languages to study and I don't think any of them are particularly dependent on gender! Personally I just want to learn as many as poss.

And they definitely don't award A*s at AS Level... you can get 100%, UMS or whatever and it's still only an A.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing it at university, and speak 3 languages other that English lol
    My Dad was brought up in Belgium but is from Martinique so I speak French and Dutch,
    and my Mum is half Brazilian, so I speak Portuguese too
    I do A-Level French now, and done both Dutch and German at GCSE

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe there are so many people is some of your language classes! There are two of us (both girls) in my A2 Spanish class, after the only boy dropped it last year. Only one girl took German and so had to go to anther school to do it as school wouldn't run it for one student. The same has happened this year - there are 3 in the AS Spanish class, 2 girls and 1 boy.

ReputationRep:
    All the people in my A-level Spanish class were male, but then I went to an all boy school. There were about 20 of us, if I remember right.

In my old department at UCL, there were 2 guys, including me, and 7 girls spread over four languages.

ReputationRep:
    When I did Spanish, the split was pretty much even... But, that was GCSE in Year 9, an AS in Year 10, so a lot took GCSE, did well, and took the AS, before realising they hated it.
    With French at GCSE, there were 7 girls and one boy! Now, in my AS class there's 4 girls, 2 boys, and in the A2 class there's 2 girls and one boy. My school stopped offering German before I started there, so I can't say what the split would be like with that, but at my school, girls seem to favour French, whereas boys (as well as girls!) prefer Spanish.

ReputationRep:
    50/50 split in my spanish class.

that's me and one other girl.

ReputationRep:
    All my Spanish classes have mostly been female dominated, with the majority of guys being a bit effeminite (sp?), although there are exceptions obviously! My Russian classes tend to be a bit more balanced though. I guess romance languages tend to be a bit more 'girly'.

ReputationRep:
    It annoys me how few other guys do languages.

At A-Level my French class was 2 boys, 20 girls.
    Spanish was me + 6 girls.

At Uni, Spanish is 5 boys + 20 girls, french is maybe 25% boys. I hear that German is more evenly split though.

I think German does appeal to boys more, I've always wanted to do German for some reason but my school didn't do it.

It has it's advantages though, it's the opposite of a sausage fest

ReputationRep:
    The easier a language is, the more girls study it.

LOL

In all seriousness, I think pretty broad gender stereotypes can be applied here. Romance languages/countries= flowery, beautiful, good-looking men. Slavonic languages/countries= technical, harsh, good-looking women. I study French and Russian and the split in Russian is about even, but the scarcity of guys on my course at university is unbelievable.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.