Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmielociraptor)
    This is how I learnt the geography of Africa :yep:
    Oh thanks for this link, it's really useful.

Your butchers story is quite funny lol. If it was me I might have assumed nirvana, black sabbath and others. I wouldn't have been rude enough to start asking though lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babygirl110)
    Oh thanks for this link, it's really useful.

Your butchers story is quite funny lol. If it was me I might have assumed nirvana, black sabbath and others. I wouldn't have been rude enough to start asking though lol.
    Win on Black Sabbath :yep:

Normally I don't have a problem with curiosity but in this case I just wanted my damn beef. And he was being a bit of a moron about it. Even after he handed over the meat he was like chasing us around the side of the counter still yelling bands after us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn11)
    Lol if someone said l.o.l. to me in person I'd be sad, cause it means I'm REALLY not funny
    LOL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supernova92)
    I refuse to believe that someone said "lol" in real life.....
    My friend says lol all the time.

ReputationRep:
    No, not really

He sounds.... weird. Is he dumb or suttin

ReputationRep:
    No, the shop assistant sounded like a prick though.
    "It's bad to think"
    "Are you from Somalia?"
    :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stems)
    I think if you live in the UK and aren't white/English looking, people have the tendency to ask just out of curiosity. Just from my experience.
    Could have something to do with you nothing being from the UK originally. Just saying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paxdax)
    Could have something to do with you nothing being from the UK originally. Just saying.
    what do you mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stems)
    Sorry if this is long and insignificant, i just don't really want to discuss it with anyone I actually know.

So I went to the store today and was looking around. One of the shop assistants came up to me to ask if I needed any help or was looking for anything in particular:

Me: No thanks, I found what I’m looking for just thinking about whither to buy it or not.

Shop assistant: Don’t think, it’s not good to think you know. Do you know that?

Me: Ignore/ forced smile

Shop Assistant: Don’t think, just grab

Me; Ignore

Shop assistant: Where are you from? Are you from Somalia?

Me: No

Shop assistant: Are you from Africa?

Me: Yes, but you know Africa is a BIG place?

Shop assistant: Ok are you from Congo?

Me: NO

Shop assistant: Ok that’s all the places I know in Africa

Me: WHAT!! Are you serious? ( I was genuinely shocked)

Shop assistant: Yea I only no two places lol

Me: You need a map, maybe try to start learning different places.

Shop assistant: No can’t be bothered learnt all that stuff at school no point, that
    was when I did geography. Ok are you from Mongola?

Me: You think that’s in Africa?

Shop assistant: Urm, isn’t it?

By this time I had to go, so just kind of walked off I did say bye.
    So I told my friend about this and she wasn’t shocked at all. This guy obviously went thought the education system (he told me). She basically told me I sounded stuck up. I did mention to her that I wanted to print a map and give it to him, as I’m a regular at the store (it’s down the road). She just looked at me with disgust.

So did I over react?

Do I need to recognise that some just don’t have knowledge in areas that I believe are basic, however may have knowledge in other areas?

I mean I didn’t expect him to know which country I originate from, I was just shocked that he only knew two countries in Africa. Also the fact that he was just guessing random places yet appeared to be 100% serious.
    No, you don't. I think you're right, stupid shop assistant!

ReputationRep:
    No you don't sound stuck up, I would have walked off after the "it’s not good to think" :facepalm2:
    I always get asked where i'm from, it does get annoying.

ReputationRep:
    Trolls
    They are everywhere

ReputationRep:
    Nah you dont sound stuck-up.
    Shes probably those uneducated chavs that left school at 16.
    But seriously WOW

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skyhigh!)
    No you don't sound stuck up, I would have walked off after the "it’s not good to think" :facepalm2:
    I always get asked where i'm from, it does get annoying.
    Yeah, I would have swiftly told them not to disturb me while I'm shopping. He or she sounds annoying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hasin_arshad)
    Done lie to us, its impossible to say "lol" in a natural real life conversation

LOL
    As sad as it sounds (in my opinion anyway), people really do say "lol" in real life nowadays.

ReputationRep:
    I refuse to believe that someone said "lol" in real life.....
    My friend does. Does my head in.

ReputationRep:
    No. He was just incredibly ignorant!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stems)
    what do you mean?
    That was supposed to be a 'not', sorry for that. Silly mobile. You're not a native of Britain, of course they might well ask. People find it interesting. And no, just because you're born in Britain doesn't mean you're a British native. That's not how it works.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hasin_arshad)
    Dont lie to us, she didn't say "lol"
    I said "lol" out loud the other day. Life over.

Anyway, OP, I think you were actually pretty patient with the shop assistant! I would have told her that my country of origin had nothing to do with her and I wished to browse the shop in peace!

ReputationRep:
    woah... why? why not just actually laugh instead?
    I do both it's cool and you know it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmileyGurl13)
    I do both it's cool and you know it.
    Hmmm....

Spoiler:
    Show
    LOL :P

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.