Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    For my course Bristol wants AAB-BBB and they gave me and offer of BBB Which I was really happy about, because previously I thought if I got an offer from Durham I'd have to decide which one to have as my firm, but now I can put Bristol as my insurance (If I get an offer from Durham of course )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Scout.)
    You'll be fine. If they've actually given you an offer then don't worry. I guess its just rare that they make mistakes when giving offers, I must just be unlucky...!
    I don't know why they didn't know I was retaking though as I made it verrrry clear on both my UCAS and Personal Statement! Oh well.
    well its come up on track as an offer, but I havent actually go a confirmation letter in the post yet....I'm not going to sleep till I get that now!

Was it your first choice uni? Had yours come up on track?

ReputationRep:
    gap year reapplying and was planning to do resits then... i got an offer!!
    i was genuinly shocked!!! (my results had been appauling, so bad i was told to mention i thought so and that i was resiting everything in my personal statement) i had also sent off the application 1 week before UCAS deadline!
    to make it more unreal, it was an unconditional offer 60 ucas points below the lowest typical offer boundry (100 below the higher one)!
    considering this was my first choice and i was aiming to get each resit up at least a grade to get in it was sweet!
    weirdly i didnt get my 2nd or 3rd choices

ReputationRep:
    Was rejected by LSE, UCL and Bristol rather swiftly and after a few months of being rather down and out, received an offer from Cambridge.
    There's always a silver lining. It just looks a little gray when you aren't looking properly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mackemforever)
    Not shocking but a bit unusual.

During 6th form I had my heart set on Warwick and I applied for two different courses. Despite being predicted AAAA and having lots of stuff on my application from outside of academia, I got rejected from both courses without an interview. My 3 other choices made me an offer, including Lancaster for AAB.
    I withdrew my application for the year due to the Warwick rejections and took a gap year. In the end I got ABB and knew that Warwick was definitely out but applied again anyway. As you would expect they rejected me, however what took me by surprise was that Lancaster made me an unconditional offer despite me rejecting them the year before AND failing to even meet their offer from the year before.

The next surprising thing happened a couple of days later when I got a hand written letter from the head of admissions congratulating me on my offer and saying that it was one of the bravest applications he had seen for a long time. The reason he thought it was brave, my personal statement was, to quote everybody that had given me feedback on it, "bat**** crazy". I still remember the opening line. "I'll be the first to admit that I have always been a pretty awful student."

He said it was the first personal statement he had read that year which didn't stick to the standard personal statement formula.
    Oh wow, that's amazing! I'd be really interested to read a little bit of your PS, the first line is gripping!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Scout.)
    You'll be fine. If they've actually given you an offer then don't worry. I guess its just rare that they make mistakes when giving offers, I must just be unlucky...!
    I don't know why they didn't know I was retaking though as I made it verrrry clear on both my UCAS and Personal Statement! Oh well.
    I think you have grounds for complaint. If that is your first choice then I wouldn't let it go so easily!

ReputationRep:
    I'm guessing what ever I'm about to type is gonna be a mega-essay... But I'm in the mood for pouring my heart out

Spoiler:
    Show
    - Originally applied for a few "Access to medicine courses" and a couple Biomedicine courses.

- Got a decent score on my Ukcat, managed to make it to an interview and further test at KCL, unfortunately got rejected as did many others at my college.

- Now I was so down, I wasn't even sure Biomedical science was the coure for me, but I knew medicine was definitely an option post-grad - but a teacher swayed me from that, putting doubts in my head. Suggested I try an Allied Medical profession, at the time seemed like a brilliant idea - interacting with people, making diagnosises etc. So I decided to go with Audiology.

- Rejected my offers for Biomedical Science from STGU and Brunel, and applied to Aston through Extra and they made me an offer.

- Missed the offer by miles really, but luckily still got accepted. I loved everything about the Uni except my course. I had many friends bla bla, and it was frustrating everytme I mentioned my course I'd be asked "what's that" and the jokes (though they were not malicious) by a couple guys didn't help, especially as I knew it wasn't the course for me, but I wasn't sure or motivated to act on it.

by the end of the year I grow some balls, tell the Uni I want to change my course to Biomedical Science or Biology, they tell me that's fine, just call ip on results day and this leads on to another story. -_-
    Spoiler:
    Show

- I call up on results day, took a while to get through considering clearing, But I did it in the morning sharp.

- A guy takes my name and number and says I'll get called back. a few hours later - no call back.

- So I call again, takes me so much longer to get through, and when I finally do get put through the women I need to speak to - i get hung up on.

- So I try again, takes a while but I get through only to ffind the course is full, for all science subjects.

- The admissions team gave me false hope that there was a chance I could still change course for a few weeks, saying students drop out etc etc... But eventually break it to me there's no chance. If I knew there was no chance from the begenning I would've applied to another Uni through clearing.

Now I got a couple resits to do because of my lack of effort in exams which leads to the final story...
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I decide **** it, I'll just do the course, I liked my friends and the area too much, the idea of leaving wasn't pleasant.

- I contact my tutor/lecturer/the guy who wrotethe ****ing exam/the guy who marked the exam, on what to focus on, and he gives me 5 or 6 areas, and I'm like cool. Then I notice he's taken off the lecture notes for only for the module I needed, weird, I ask him about it - and he doesn't reply my e-mail.

- Thankfully a girl on my course randomly messages me on fb to see how i'm doing (more like how i was strugglin) and sends me all the lecture notes. So I revise everything generally, but naturally focus on what the lecturer told me to focus on.

- I get to the exam, speak to an indian lad on my course who was in my position, except the lecturer actually sent him the notes (the lecturer being indian too, I just assumed it was a race thing). So I was pissed, but I though meh, I got the notes in the end no big deal.

- Get to exam only to find, just one of the things he told me to revise was there (hard mistake to make when you write the exam). but I amamged to answer most of the questions.

- get the result and got failed at 39% - less than a mark, get told I have to resit again, and will have to wait another year to enter second year.

- So I left the Uni (still not officially actually).

That was just a pinch of the crap I had to go through in 2010.

Anyway reapplied for Biomed through Ucas.

Got 3 offers so far, just waiting on the Uni I really want.

My excuse is I knew nothing about Uni, I just thought you basically picked a course and that would be your job for the rest of your life. Didn't realize how general things were and that you could move into other areas. It's stupid looking back on it.

:yawn: 2007 and 2010 very difficult years in my life.

ReputationRep:
    At the time I really liked the University of Cumbria and was unsure what course to apply for as one said they needed a science and the other did not. (I preferred the one with a science). Anyway the problem is I'm not too good at Biology which is my science so I emailed asking if for the course that needed a science would they give an offer with a specific grade for Biology. They emailed me back after talking to the admission officer and they said that as long as I was doing it and got the points in my other subjects I'd be fine. Well, the offer came and it said I had to get a C in biology which is what I'm predicted but I doubt I will get it and it puts loads of pressure on. However, by the time it had come I'd decided that it wasn't the place for me after someone said on here about the financial problems and I'd done some research and there were news articles about it.

Doesn't matter now though. I've got the rest of my offers including where I want to go to and all are easily manageable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam_zed)
    I only found out when my interview was the evening before because my e-mails weren't receiving all they should so I flopped bad, but I was still amazed to have had an interview considering my grades.
    The night before??? Thats horrible, no time to mentally prepare before... Well done for getting an interview though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by +epic)
    list anything
    I had an interview for the physics course at Leeds and didn't think that I did too well in the interview. I didn't hear back from the for a week or two and was starting to think that weren't going to make me an offer until I got a letter from them saying that they were very impressed by my interview and their offer was just a B in Mathematics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn11)
    :jumphug: There, there... I'm sure it'll be alright in the end. There I was thinking you were just a jokey jokester telling funny jokes, and you've been through all of that ****. At least you've had the guts to see it through.

Spoiler:
    Show
    I'm sorry about the hug, it was the most manly one I could find :sigh:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W.H.T)
    wow, what a journey you've been on!

by the way, how are you sure that marketing management is right for you?
    well exactly, no one can be certain. But its what I wanted to do before Architecture and it will hopefully suit me better. You never can quite know what youre in for until you actually go though!

It takes a hell of a load of courage to realise youre on the wrong path and backtrack though, especially with all the pressure nowadays to go to uni and get a degree. Needless to say it was one of the toughest years of my life.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    :yawn: 2007 and 2010 very difficult years in my life.
    what a story! seriously not nice times

you must feel so much better about everything now that youre back on track though? I do, I feel like I am getting a fresh start to just put a finger up to all the rubbish stuff last time

ReputationRep:
    My ICL offer came through at midnight - I was quite worried that admissions tutors work at that sort of time

ReputationRep:
    wow! :console:
    what were your A-levels like? maybe it would've been better if you'd taken a gap year and re-applied for medicine as that's what you wanna do at the end of the day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by +epic)
    well exactly, no one can be certain. But its what I wanted to do before Architecture and it will hopefully suit me better. You never can quite know what youre in for until you actually go though!

It takes a hell of a load of courage to realise youre on the wrong path and backtrack though, especially with all the pressure nowadays to go to uni and get a degree. Needless to say it was one of the toughest years of my life.
    I also thought for many years that to I was to become architect. Just like you I changed mind and applying for something completely different. I changed directions before having been to university though. Seems weird, I mean I still do enjoy art and the idea of being an architect. But having done work exp, I know something about it wasn't right for me.

can I ask what was it about architecture which meant you didn't want to continue with it?

ReputationRep:
    When I had my interview at Ravensbourne for the course i'm on. The tutor took me on a tour and asked if I had any questions. I asked when i'd find out if I was successful and he replied with "Oh - You've got in" - and left it at that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liam_G)
    :jumphug: There, there... I'm sure it'll be alright in the end. There I was thinking you were just a jokey jokester telling funny jokes, and you've been through all of that ****. At least you've had the guts to see it through.

Spoiler:
    Show
    I'm sorry about the hug, it was the most manly one I could find :sigh:
    Hahaha nahh it's appreciated And yeah I've gone through sooo much crap, it actually feels like I'm living a comedy script, tough to live, but the way I usually tell it people makes it funny.

(Original post by +epic)
    what a story! seriously not nice times

you must feel so much better about everything now that youre back on track though? I do, I feel like I am getting a fresh start to just put a finger up to all the rubbish stuff last time
    Yup, I feel better than I have in sooo long!

Definitely back on track. Like when I was at Uni, I'd go through these random phases, of being totally down and anti-social, and I had no idea why. Looking back it's because I knew deep down I knew I wasn't on the right path.

The past makes us who we are now, hopefully everything happens for a reason.

(Original post by futuredoc77)
    wow! :console:
    what were your A-levels like? maybe it would've been better if you'd taken a gap year and re-applied for medicine as that's what you wanna do at the end of the day.
    Quite average. And the last year has taught I definitely wasn't ready for that course :P

Wasn't disciplined enough to focus on priorities, or mature, still don't think I am tbh, so rather build on relating scientific knowledge for now.

And anywya, if I get into the Uni I want that'll definitely be an option, assuming I get my head down!

ReputationRep:
    BCDEE at AS level

ended up getting 4 offers (Nottingham Trent, Liverpool, Goldsmiths, Salford and the only one that rejected me (JMU) was because I had stupidly applied for Forensic Psychology which requires sciences, something I hadn't done since year 11!

Of course, being the lazy so-and-so I am, I firmed Liverpool, insurance'd NTU and ended up getting BBC so had to go to NTU. Wow, not until now has that really hit home how I messed up :\

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't shocking, but I got an offer 4 days after I applied.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.