:facepalm: {backatcha}
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andrew.murphy1)
    :facepalm: {backatcha}
    :five::awesome::five:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fuzzed_Out)
    Have you considered a course transfer? Someone on my course did a year of CompSci and then transferred to year 1 MechEng, they lost a year but at least she likes it now.

Edit 1: Who the negged me? What did I say that's wrong? So confused =(

Edit 2: Seriously guys can you at least tell me why I am being negged? Even anonymously?
    I negged you, dont know why though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yokabasha)
    How did you get in!? i thought that was the main thing in the interview to see if you had passion for the subject
    No, the importance of enthusiasm as a selection criterion is frequently overestimated, at least in the sciences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athena)
    I know four people who were kicked out, and they all failed a paper (at least one) in first or second year. However, one of them went on to get a very high 2.i but even that wasn't enough to save her
    That's understandable - I think clinical school admissions happen before FHS finals.

Anyway, thank for the info.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andrew.murphy1)
    STICK WITH IT

If you drop out:

What will you do? You're smart and hard-working enough to re-apply somewhere else, but then that's a year of your life gone *snaps fingers*.... As you say, gap in the CV, etc. = not good. Also, consider the rise in tuition fees, you'll be a new student so you'll get hit horribly by them (presuming that you get a decently paid job, which by the sounds of it you are easily capable of).

If you persevere:

The times where you really show your mettle are when you are tested like this. Yes, the work sucks. Yes, it's boring. BUT, how many people in the world would give ANYTHING to be a Chemistry graduate from Oxford. One billion people in the world live on less than a dollar a day. Many billions more have no hope of a "western" income. Cherish the opportunity you have been gifted. You might regret it years later that you didn't finish the degree, but if you just hold out for a bit longer then no-one can take that degree away from you!

Erm... no. Doing something you hate at such a high level under such pressure for four years sounds like an express ticket to the land of regrets.

Perseverance at all costs is not a virtue. Sometimes admitting that you're wrong and changing your mind is by far the most mature and sensible thing to do.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say drop out. I'm in pretty much the same situation (but without the massive 'I could have gone to oxford' thing hanging over my head). My Dad said I couldn't live in the house if I did the subject I wanted (japanese) so I wound up doing what he suggested (computer science). I hate it, I spend hours working on tiny little problems that everyone else just 'gets' and there is no way in hell I could spend four years doing this.

Soo, I got in touch with my old school and they took me through the ucas thing again (they even paid for it) I had it all sent off before I told my parents and now have a lovely unconditional offer to do japanese at manchester It isn't as pretty as my current uni, or in as nice a city but I think Kings is way overrated anyways. I'm now insanely happy and I don't even care about the fact that I have to finish this year because I know that in a few months time i'll be studying what I really want even if it isn't where I want it (i love london).

Sure, some people are going 'it will be a year of your life' and that you'll have to explain the gap in your cv but really, one year wasted is better than four years hated and the possibility of a lifetime being stuck in a career that you loath. If you finish this year you might be able to persuade your new uni to transfer some credits. Also, I don't think people will care about one missing year when you were 18, you probably won't need to mention it.

So yeah, I think you should finish this year off but get another place asap.

ReputationRep:
    A gap in your CV at eighteen means nothing. I withdrew half way through my course and carried on a year later and not a single employer has ever questioned it. You're allowed a false start or two, and stacks of people change minds/courses/unis and go on to do very well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cifes)
    I've just finished the first term of Chemistry.

Really really dislike the subject, (forced to apply under threat of being kicked out of the house ) and am not very good at it...I work at least 80 hours a week solid and am still behind. I have no enthusiasm for it at all, and don't want to work in the field after graduating.

You really have to have an enthusiasm for the subject here as the teaching is pretty bad, the maths lecturer gets all the letters in the wrong places and makes it a million times more confusing, labs are based on topics not covered yet and you're expected to know it all already :s

I have no problem with finding friends and stuff there (although had very little free time to go out...) The only reason I'm thinking of staying is I met a guy there, and obviously it's better not to be labelled as a uni drop out :/

Enquiries about transferring course or deferring for a year were met with a definite NO.

Any advice would be welcome
    Why did your parents say you had to apply for chemistry? What's wrong with biology?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxpiripirixx)
    I'd say drop out. I'm in pretty much the same situation (but without the massive 'I could have gone to oxford' thing hanging over my head). My Dad said I couldn't live in the house if I did the subject I wanted (japanese) so I wound up doing what he suggested (computer science). I hate it, I spend hours working on tiny little problems that everyone else just 'gets' and there is no way in hell I could spend four years doing this.

Soo, I got in touch with my old school and they took me through the ucas thing again (they even paid for it) I had it all sent off before I told my parents and now have a lovely unconditional offer to do japanese at manchester It isn't as pretty as my current uni, or in as nice a city but I think Kings is way overrated anyways. I'm now insanely happy and I don't even care about the fact that I have to finish this year because I know that in a few months time i'll be studying what I really want even if it isn't where I want it (i love london).

Sure, some people are going 'it will be a year of your life' and that you'll have to explain the gap in your cv but really, one year wasted is better than four years hated and the possibility of a lifetime being stuck in a career that you loath. If you finish this year you might be able to persuade your new uni to transfer some credits. Also, I don't think people will care about one missing year when you were 18, you probably won't need to mention it.

So yeah, I think you should finish this year off but get another place asap.
    Are you going to be kicked out then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sternumator)
    You should try your best because it is only a few years and the difference between being an oxford graduate and a uni drop out is huge. If I was you I would keep fighting with it untill I was kicked out.
    What if you finish 2 years of your Course and you are then kicked out?!
    You are at the brink of madness plus you lost your last years(and a lot of money) learning something you dislike, in a not-so-pretty environment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    No, the importance of enthusiasm as a selection criterion is frequently overestimated, at least in the sciences.
    really, even for engineering? how do you know?

ReputationRep:
    Dont drop out, do you know how many people would be to be in your place ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey)
    I negged you, dont know why though.
    How, how could you?

I need some time alone... :getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnonymousPenguin)
    That's understandable - I think clinical school admissions happen before FHS finals.

Anyway, thank for the info.
    We had a couple who didn't get to stay but managed 1sts in Finals - the criteria are completely separate and if offered a place at clinical school it's only conditional on passing finals.

I see a few people are still pulling the "starving children in Africa" approach that it's wrong to leave Oxford because there are other people who'd love to be there. Including one who is literally on about how many people are in poverty. Any eight-year-old will tell you they'd be glad to send their leftover spinach to the children in Africa, but that's not practical. Similarly, what the OP does with themselves has no effect on anyone else's getting into Oxford or not - that ship has sailed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retrodiction)
    Are you going to be kicked out then?
    No, at least I hope not. I appealed to my mother XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Student)
    "Should have applied to Cambridge"
    For all the arts and humanities graduates, and grammarians in general, I dedicate this repeat to you.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I'm not sure whether or not anything I say will be useful but I couldn't resist replying to a thread about someone not enjoying Chemistry at Oxford! I also hated my first term (mostly due to homesickness, but I was also really struggling with the work) and started making enquiries about transferring to my insurance uni. In the end I stayed put and enjoyed Hilary term more. I was spending longer working but I was more settled in terms of being away from home. By Trinity term I was working until 3am about four days each week, so I literally couldn't start revising until 5th week. I got a 2.2 in three of my papers and failed the Organic paper. I agree that the lectures, tutorials and labs not being synchronised is very frustrating!

I was planning to not work as hard this year, but unfortunately I'm still working about 70ish hours a week like you (and for hobnob's information, I am including all the time I spend just staring at a question with no idea how to answer it and desparately trying to not fall asleep at my desk in the library), and still working til 3am a lot of the time for pretty much the entire term, making myself ill because of it and spending most of my working time thinking 'I can't cope with my degree!'. I also take at least twice as long as everyone else to do the work, so I do sympathise with that aspect being very demotivating! At the moment, I've accepted that I'm near the bottom of the school and am aiming for a 2.2 and therefore found reading back over the threads regarding me myself and I's predicament slightly upsetting. I accept that a Manchester 2.1 is more desirable than an Oxford 2.2, but I wouldn't like to think that I would be considered arrogant if that is what I get; I can't help that I'm too stupid to get a 2.1. At the end of the day, I just want my future lifestyle to reflect how hard I've worked throughout my education.

The difference is that I do find the work interesting when I'm able to understand it, and I'm hoping that my job will involve Chemistry when I graduate. I really can't imagine continuing with this degree if I didn't find it at all engaging and didn't want to work in the field afterwards. I'm sorry that you are being threatened with being kicked out of your house. That's awful! I think it would be a good idea to do a bit of research into other courses at other universities that you will probably enjoy more and think about applying through the current UCAS cycle, as Faye91 is doing. I see you're planning to return next term anyway, which I also think is a good idea (make sure you do have some time off this vacation though!). You may do better than you think in collections and become more confident about the course. If you do badly, you will at least have some concrete evidence for trying to convince your parents that your current degree just isn't working out.

I will mention someone I know who has just graduated from Chemistry. She too failed the Organic Prelims paper (and possible another one, I'm not sure), then got a 2.2 in her 2nd year, scraped a 2.1 in her 3rd year and got a high enough mark in her thesis to get a 2.1 overall (really hoping this happens to me too!), so it isn't the case that your marks will definitely decrease as the course gets harder.

Feel free to PM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cifes)
    I've just finished the first term of Chemistry.

Really really dislike the subject, (forced to apply under threat of being kicked out of the house ) and am not very good at it...I work at least 80 hours a week solid and am still behind. I have no enthusiasm for it at all, and don't want to work in the field after graduating.

You really have to have an enthusiasm for the subject here as the teaching is pretty bad, the maths lecturer gets all the letters in the wrong places and makes it a million times more confusing, labs are based on topics not covered yet and you're expected to know it all already :s

I have no problem with finding friends and stuff there (although had very little free time to go out...) The only reason I'm thinking of staying is I met a guy there, and obviously it's better not to be labelled as a uni drop out :/

Enquiries about transferring course or deferring for a year were met with a definite NO.

Any advice would be welcome
    I'm surprised that you went for Chemistry if you 'really dislike' it! And I doubt that the teaching in general is bad at Oxford... maybe one lecturer, but aren't there others you can talk to about it? The workload does sound huge, but if you can get a good degree there you're pretty much sorted for careers (okay, a bit of a generalisation, but Oxford degrees are unfairly considered better than others by numerous employers). You'd probably even be able to do something unrelated to Chemistry. Motivation will keep you going. Stick it out as long as possible and it might go faster than you think. What do you think you'll do if you drop out? Do you have any plans?

ReputationRep:
    Why did my last post get negative rep..?? :/

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.