Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Films: Both sets of films had their good and bad moments
    Books; Lord of the rings

ReputationRep:
    lets put it in a scientific, logical and well thought out argument.

HOBBITS FTW!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by INTJ)
    Prepare to get flamed for that comment
    which part?

ReputationRep:
    Lord of the Rings for the win!

Aragon would show Voldemort what he thinks of his killing curse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luceria)
    I love your sig :awesome:
    Thank you. :cool:

Right back at you! I can't wait for the 4th series. :woohoo:

ReputationRep:
    Lord of the Rings, most definitely!

ReputationRep:
    I prefer HP personally.. but LOTR isn't going to be to everyone's tastes afterall!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WildBerrySpirit)
    Thank you. :cool:

Right back at you! I can't wait for the 4th series. :woohoo:
    Me too! 2012 is way too long to wait though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luceria)
    Me too! 2012 is way too long to wait though.
    I know, it's an extremely long wait. However, I've just recently found out that there is a new series called 'Camelot' which will be airing next year. Although it's not the same as Merlin, I'm hoping it'll suffice for the time being and tide over the wait for Merlin! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    LOTR, for both book and film.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WildBerrySpirit)
    I know, it's an extremely long wait. However, I've just recently found out that there is a new series called 'Camelot' which will be airing next year. Although it's not the same as Merlin, I'm hoping it'll suffice for the time being and tide over the wait for Merlin! :woo:
    Yes, I'll probably watch it. Only 10 episodes. Not sure how good it'll be though!

ReputationRep:
    harry potter is for dorks!!:naughty:

ReputationRep:
    LotR is just 100% pure unadulterated epic.

The Films don't even warrant an argument to be honest, there is truly no contest. Infact, the books are the same. I can understand why some people of our generation might think differently as we grew up with the Harry Potter books, they were aimed at us, but the LotR books contain so much more originality. Not only that, but Tolkiens other work - although more difficult to read - is also very interesting. He created cooler characters, a better story and a more interesting world.

ReputationRep:
    LOTR: more sophisticated, more grown up, better quality of language, more imaginative...
    Tolkien went the whole hog and created languages!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    And now I shall be unsubscribing from this thread. Because after reading just a couple of posts I am dangerously close to losing faith in humanity.
    Why? the majority of posts have been in agreement with you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by INTJ)
    Which do you prefer?

You can interpret the question to mean both the books and the films. Do you perhaps prefer the books of, say, Harry Potter, and the films for LOTR? Or vice versa? Which do you think has had the greatest impact on the fantasy genre, the film industry and modern fantasy literature? Do you think Harry Potter will grow to be more influential than LOTR in later years?

Discuss...
    Harry Potter of course! Lord of the Rings is some next crappy long ting movie, with no sense, whereas Harry Potter makes a lot more sense!

ReputationRep:
    Lord of the Rings, definitely. The Harry Potter books are good, but the films are just crap. Lord of the Rings has an amazing soundtrack composed by Howard Shore. It has attention to detail, excellent script, action, plot, landscapes, it is really just epic in every way. Harry Potter films are BS. Not only do they deviate from the books in big ways, but the trio of actors are in their 20s, portraying adult teenagers, yet they still sound and look 12 years old. Their demeanours haven't changed one bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llpokermuffinll)
    Harry Potter of course! Lord of the Rings is some next crappy long ting movie, with no sense, whereas Harry Potter makes a lot more sense!
    Neither make 'sense', as they are both fictional

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    I havent read the LOTR books but I have read Harry Potter - Therefore I (obviously) can only say HP books.

The LOTR films are good (the extended versions) and as a trilogy are much tighter and coherent in comparison to Harry Potter.

That said I find HP much more interesting than LOTR which seemingly has a simplaer storyline, therefore HP films win it for me in the interest stakes but the LOTR films would prob be better for filmmaking.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.