Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

people who argue with you for the sake of trying to look academic? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shinytoy)
    guys,

do you know any people where if you make a statement, they will argue and argue until they are blue in the face not becauuse they have a valid point they are trying to make, but just purely to try to look academic by creating then winning an argument?

its totally annoying and pointless

its the same type of people who will listen to the teacher in class, then try their hardest to ask the most complex question possible not because they have a question to ask but because they want to show off to everyone how bright they are.

does anyoen else find this totally irritating?
    That's pretty much everyone on this ****ty forum

(Original post by IndigoRockGirl)
      yeah me too lol x
      Nice to meet you

ReputationRep:
      Didn't go to eton for 7 years to listen to your sh*t

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by shinytoy)
      guys,

do you know any people where if you make a statement, they will argue and argue until they are blue in the face not becauuse they have a valid point they are trying to make, but just purely to try to look academic by creating then winning an argument?

its totally annoying and pointless

its the same type of people who will listen to the teacher in class, then try their hardest to ask the most complex question possible not because they have a question to ask but because they want to show off to everyone how bright they are.

does anyoen else find this totally irritating?
      I'm one of them. :ninja:

But I actually say important, reasoned arguments. Some of the dogmatic drivel the others can come out with is unbelievable - certainly in the more technical of my modules.

ReputationRep:
      Uurgh, tell me about it. -_- The people in my year group (back when we were in year 12) were all kind of like that, just because no one really knew anyone else very well so they wanted a chance to establish themselves/be recognised. But now we're all in year 13 and its really chilled, we're all quite comfortable now so there's no need to make a statement

Although, while working in my school library once I did have the misfortune of listening to some of the new year 12's, all trying to outsmart each other, make out they knew so much about politics (believe me, they really didn't)...it was irritating yet somewhat endearing. Kind of like 'Aw, bless them' :rolleyes:

(Original post by Reelo)
        Uurgh, tell me about it. -_- The people in my year group (back when we were in year 12) were all kind of like that, just because no one really knew anyone else very well so they wanted a chance to establish themselves/be recognised. But now we're all in year 13 and its really chilled, we're all quite comfortable now so there's no need to make a statement

Although, while working in my school library once I did have the misfortune of listening to some of the new year 12's, all trying to outsmart each other, make out they knew so much about politics (believe me, they really didn't)...it was irritating yet somewhat endearing. Kind of like 'Aw, bless them' :rolleyes:
        lol All stopped in one year?

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by blueray)
        lol All stopped in one year?
        Pretty much I don't think that anyone in my year is actually like that by nature, its just that they felt the need to do it. Before people were too scared to ask each other for help because it would make them appear stupid etc...now it really doesn't seem to matter

(Original post by Reelo)
          Pretty much I don't think that anyone in my year is actually like that by nature, its just that they felt the need to do it. Before people were too scared to ask each other for help because it would make them appear stupid etc...now it really doesn't seem to matter
          Wow what college or sixth form is this?

ReputationRep:
          My friend often does that using the excuse his playing devils advocate to 'ensure our debates are not stifled'. His such a prick at times. People like this are out for one thing only and that is not academic discussion. Instead to ****ing annoy you. So just ignore it

ReputationRep:
          I always argue things and I don't do it to try and look academic. If it's worth arguing then do it.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by Reformed2010)
          My friend often does that using the excuse his playing devils advocate to 'ensure our debates are not stifled'. His such a prick at times. People like this are out for one thing only and that is not academic discussion. Instead to ****ing annoy you. So just ignore it
          I disagree.

ReputationRep:
          Just reading this thread is making me angry. It really frustrates me! Especially when they keep going on about one point, despite the fact that the argument has moved beyond it, but they can only work with their prepared material.
          On the other end of the scale, they don't even have any decent points, they just talk absolute crap.
          A fair few people spring to mind. :rolleyes:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        What newspaper do you read/prefer?
        Useful resources
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.