Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm starting to turn against the EU. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tieyourmotherdown)
    You do have to wonder who thought giving German, or France, and Portugal or Estonia for example the same currency was a good idea.
    Well, is it not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brandmon)
    Well, is it not?
    No, particularly not in exceptional circumstance such as at the moment. Setting one interest rate for so many diverse economies seems a bit ridiculous to me. Maybe there is a justification for it but I can't seem to see it. In the UK alone we dropped our interest rate to lower than that of the Euro, so had we been in the Euro, it's questionable as to whether our recovery from the recession would have been quite so swift because borrowing wouldn't have been as appealing.

ReputationRep:
    Britain joined the EU in 1973 primarily to improve economically with free trade, but since then it has made Britain restricted due to its bureaucracy and corruption. The EU hasnt improved Britain economically as the EU is no longer based around economics as Herman Van Rompuy and Sarkozy have turned the EU into a european political union. Yes I too believe Britain should leave the EU

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muscovite)
    The thing is, people don't seem to understand that the commission is elected, they are taken from the Euro-party with the most seats in the European parliament, its exactly the same principal as the UK system. (Although I'd prefer a direct electoral system, it is unfair to suggest that Europeans can't control which commission takes power). As for 'French and Germans deciding what happens to us' The only problem I have is the one I have with the UK and most western nations, banks and financial institutions being in the private sector and so being unaccountable. The idea is that we can control what happens to them too, in fact every country in the EU has a say in what happens to other nations - its the same principle as British regions just on a larger scale.
    Who told you that? Commissioners are not taken from the party with the most MEPs. :rolleyes:

From the European Commission:

Who chooses the commissioners?

The president elect of the Commission chooses the commissioners from the lists of candidates put forward by the EU countries. The proposed list is then submitted for approval to the Council of Ministers, which must adopt it by a qualified majority. The college is then submitted collectively to the European Parliament for its approval. Once Parliament has given its blessing, the new Commission is officially appointed by the Council, acting again by qualified majority.
    No election is involved in the process. The people of Europe are not involved in choosing commissioners and have no power to remove them.

I've never really understood where the "the Germans and French control everything" argument comes from. They can exert so much influence only because they have enough support from other countries, and in Germany's case, because they bankroll so much of what the EU does.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tieyourmotherdown)
    I see the EU as a fantastic idea but unbelievably badly executed, essentially.

You do have to wonder who thought giving German, or France, and Portugal or Estonia for example the same currency was a good idea. Likewise though, UKIP's "QUICKLY JUST LEAVE, JUST LEAVE" 'solution' is hardly the answer.
    The EU was a nice idea, but it was never going to work. The countries of Europe are still far to diverse to ever operate under one set of rules.

And UKIP's amicable withdrawal policy is the best solution on offer imo.

ReputationRep:
    The idea that since the UK is more powerful, it is doing a service to everyone by being there.

Spreading the wealth, helping everybody etc. It's also like a moral obligation to share our experience and stuff with lesser powers.

Also for easier trade and immigration and better human rights laws.

You know united we stand and all that

(not my opinion, just some of the arguments)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tamora)
    The EU was a nice idea, but it was never going to work. The countries of Europe are still far to diverse to ever operate under one set of rules.

And UKIP's amicable withdrawal policy is the best solution on offer imo.
    European countries have much more in common that one is lead to believe, so much so that it is even taken for granted.

The cultures are diverse, yet it is upon values that European countries find common ground.

ReputationRep:
    Yea, and we aren't European, and we don't have anything in common with them.

ReputationRep:
    European countries have much more in common that one is lead to believe, so much so that it is even taken for granted.

The cultures are diverse, yet it is upon values that European countries find common ground.
    But we don't have enough in common in politics and the EU is a political organisation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tamora)
    But we don't have enough in common in politics and the EU is a political organisation.
    Not enough? Last I checked Germany wasn't making any rallies at Nuremberg and anything East of Germany isn't a "People's Republic"

ReputationRep:
    Not enough? Last I checked Germany wasn't making any rallies at Nuremberg and anything East of Germany isn't a "People's Republic"
    In how many EU member states does an accused person have a right to a trial by jury?

ReputationRep:
    The EU was the first step towards a new world order in which the overall goal is to have a single world government, a single world currency and a single world army. There will also be a mass culling of humans to get the population down, and those who remain will be microchipped.

ReputationRep:
    The problems with the EU are so numerous it's not even funny.

For a start, it's a project to create a super-state from sovereign countries that vary in size, population, language, religion and culture let alone in laws, taxation rules and a host of other things.

It exercises and gains power by stripping countries of their ability to legislate by creating "default" laws that supersede those of the countries within.

It is a vast, poorly accounted bureaucracy with distinctive statist and central planning attributes. Anyone care to mention countries or super states that have tried this before and succeeded? Good luck finding some.

It costs a fortune. The amount that the UK, along with the other "big" countries have paid over the past decades is enormous. And for what? To bring in all the small periphery countries who, one by one, are now imploding due to a massive financial meltdown caused in part by a misguided "euro" currency where economic rules and regulations are dictated from Brussels to the extent that countries involved have so little flexibility to help themselves out of the hole? For more information see "Ireland" when it defaults in epic fashion in the coming months. For somewhat more historical reading see "Greece" and "Hungary".

The EU or EEC is a superb idea if you limit the scope. All these clowns, and some of them in this thread, use the EU as some excuse for "preventing wars". In reality, most countries in the EU are highly developed and rich. Countries in this position tend to avoid wars with each other and there have been no major conflicts involving the biggest EU countries since WW2 and they've learnt their lesson.

Free trade and to an extent free movement are all very nice but once you go down the road of single and central planned currencies, single tax laws that are inappropriate, bureaucracy and unelected officials, an overbearing "parliament" which no one bothers to vote for and countries collapsing in bankruptcy while everyone else picks up the tab...then it's pretty much a bad joke that needs culled.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    Yea, and we aren't European, and we don't have anything in common with them.
    You're right, now I've lived in France and now Spain I can tell you we don't have anything in common. They're better :awesome:

Though I love being an EEA citizen hence free runaround over nearly five millon square kilometeres of countries.

And (though this is more Schengen specific) the Eurostar platforms at the Gare du Nord are an eyesore, blocked off by thick glass where Thalys stands proudly in the main station.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.