Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are there any people who believe in God here? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by midpikyrozziy)
    It's not up for me to prove there is no God, but for you to disprove it. If I claim that something completely ridiculous exists, and then say you can't disprove it, it doesn't make it any more likely to exist.

If it's any consolation I'm open to the possibility of a God, just not the one in any popular religion.

True, but that was what the guy I was quoting was making it sound like that. I wasn't saying that to believers as a whole, only him.
    My point is that you have no reason to think that God is "an imaginary man in the sky" Thats not the God I beleive in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S-man10)
    Why is it nonsensical? I presume its because you have never heard it before?

I think you might have been assuming all along that religion and god are entirely related, and you maybe right. But god as a concept, can be, and is, exclusive from religion. I do not see how this is nonsensical. It makes the most sense to say the least.

No, not because I've never heard of it before. It's just that like you said I see God and religion as entirely related. But I'm definitely not disagreeing with it just because its the first I've ever heard of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by midpikyrozziy)
    Without trying to argue for or against the existence of God here, will you admit that this setup is very convenient? If you tell poor people that they will be rich for eternity after they die, and sinners that if they repent they'll have an eternity of happiness, it's easy to see why they might become Christians.
    I wouldn't tell poor people that they'll be rich... I don't imagine money will exist in God's kingdom. Also becoming a Christian is not just a case of "saying sorry then you'll be fine". Becoming a Christian is one of the hardest things to do because it involves a complete reversal of what you thought was important. Take a look at Matthew 16:24-26, especially the part where he says "deny himself and take up his cross". This is easy to gloss over but actually it is no small demand. You have to give up everything and submit to God's sovereign rule over your life, which impacts everything, not least your relationships with others. It is only something that someone should choose to do if they are absolutely convinced of the truth of the gospel, since if they're not, they won't actually be committed to the demands.

I like how the Greeks' 'seeking wisdom' is something to be avoided. That's basically saying you shouldn't try to prove any of this, it's much better to follow blindly. Again, very convenient when religion is scrutinised by science.
    The background of the statement is that the religious leaders (amongst the Jews) and "scientists" of the day (referred to here as Greeks) had constantly demanded of Jesus that he perform more miracles to "prove" his deity. Problem is that they had all been there when he had performed others... turned water to wine, fed thousands from a few loaves and fish, raised the dead, healed the sick etc and yet they still kept saying "show us a sign". At what point is it enough? Ok, you personally have not seen these things, but we know from the historical manuscripts of the Bible that the Jewish leaders did see them, but it was never sufficient proof to them. You very quickly get to the point where you put God "in the dock" and say to him "make me rich, heal my dying family members, end the wars around the world... only once you have pandered to my demands will I consider believing in you". Actually if God is the sovereign king, it doesn't seem wise to take such an accusatory stance with him. Indeed if we look at the wider passage in context (1 Corinthians 1:18-29), we see that he's not interested in being in the dock. The wise will be shown to be foolish "so that no human being might boast in the presence of God" (v29).

Sin is clearly not as one-dimensional as that. There are a great many reasons why people 'sin', some of them entirely justified. Way too simplistic to attribute it all to original sin.
    Sorry I perhaps wasn't clear. I'm not saying that each evil is directly attributable to one person sinning, otherwise that wouldn't explain suffering from natural disasters, as no one person could be "blamed" for that. I meant that the whole world was corrupted by sin right at the beginning, and judgment was made on the world there and then, and continues to be enacted now (see the judgment in Genesis 3:14-24). Had sin not entered the world, we would still be living in perfect relationship with God, we would still be in the garden of eden, there would be no disease, no wars, no natural disasters. The very first sin had the biggest impact of all on this world

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRustaman)
    Why do you think this world would not exist if there is no God?
    It's just too perfect, you know, the balance of all things in this world, or even this universe. Why do we have a nose? Why is there oxygen in air, with the right percentage? And so on, and so forth..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by capucinnolover)
    It's just too perfect, you know, the balance of all things in this world, or even this universe. Why do we have a nose? Why is there oxygen in air, with the right percentage? And so on, and so forth..
    Thats not the best argument for God, the conditions are bound to be right given the odds of there being millions of galaxies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charzhino)
    Thats not the best argument for God, the conditions are bound to be right given the odds of there being millions of galaxies.
    Actually, that's my best argument for God at the moment. It really makes sense though

ReputationRep:
    Actually, that's my best argument for God at the moment. It really makes sense though
    There are billions of stars and we happen to center around 1. Dont you think its inevitable based on probability that life can also exist on any of those other planets.

ReputationRep:
    These can all be explained scientifically...

I don't understand why theists are afraid of admitting that we do not know everything at the moment, and instead immediately fill the field of unknowing to "God Did It". It's very narrow-minded thinking and in turn suppresses progression of knowledge based on empirical evidence...

FREE YOUR MIND!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jvasos)
    its a shame that we leave in a nation of unbelievers,

personally i can only testify how much the Lord has done for me, i have received an amazing job from with the odds against me, i have genuinely seen a massive turn around in my life since i became of faith.

it doesn't cost anything for you to try it for yourself, go to church, meditate and truly speak to God and im sure you'll see a turnaround in your life,

i truly pray and feel sorry for the type of ppl posting comments in this forum, thing is at one point in their life, they'll have nowhere to turn to, me- i have always got my Lord and Saviour.

one of my fav quotes is that 'the devil's greatest trick was make people believe that he doesn't exist.'

"For by grace are you saved through faith; and that not of yourselves for it is the gift of God: so that it may be impossible for anyone to boast."(Ephesians 2:8-9)
    Aw, I can't believe you've got a lot of negative rep from that. I'd give you some green but I've run out.

ReputationRep:
    If there is evil then something positive has to exist which is GOD or any other thing positive you might believe in.

History has been manipulated alot hence altering our believes and perceptions.

Everything in space is so organised it is unbelievable. I don't think man can achieve such perfection.

G-O-D -- Guns - Oil - Drugs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by therustaman)
    these can all be explained scientifically...

I don't understand why theists are afraid of admitting that we do not know everything at the moment, and instead immediately fill the field of unknowing to "god did it". It's very narrow-minded thinking and in turn suppresses progression of knowledge based on empirical evidence...

Free your mind!
    Open your mind.

I just can't comprehend how some people can have absolutely no spirituality in them. Sure science explains how we are here, it explains how we breath but it sure as hell doesn't explain why we breath.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophiaKeuning)
    Open your mind.

I just can't comprehend how some people can have absolutely no spirituality in them. Sure science explains how we are here, it explains how we breath but it sure as hell doesn't explain why we breath.
    My mind is open, but it is not open to being told lies!
    If something is not based on evidence, tell me, how am i meant to believe it!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRustaman)
    My mind is open, but it is not open to being told lies!
    If something is not based on evidence, tell me, how am i meant to believe it!?
    Nooo. I'm not religious, I don't believe in the 'lies' that were written by another man. I just don't need evidence to tell me that there's something more to life than what we see, what's tangible, what's skin deep. I can't explain it to you really. I guess it's not to do with open mindedness, it's just to do with how you feel. But, uhm, like when in Christianity you are told about Heaven and Hell, well some people believe that Heaven and Hell is on earth, like you get places/situations of pure goodness on earth and you get places of pure badness on earth, that you could call evil. I dunno.. people and the world just seem pretty spiritual place to me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.