Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sunday times - highest paid graduates Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ish90an)
    I've studied at Dundee, and I'd laugh at your choice as well. Subjects like politics are only going to lead to high paying jobs if you carry a big university name with it, places like Dundee just live off the reputation of a single department(in this case Medicine) and con people into thinking the rest of the courses will lead to the salary of a GP.
    Depends what job you want.

ReputationRep:
    I can see why London South Bank and Greenwich are up there, the sheer cost of living in London means the graduates who stay there will get paid more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    :confused:

What the hell are you even on about?
    You said I did not understand competitiveness in the context it was being used, i.e that the reason arts grads get paid less is because the course is more popular (or competitive as it was put).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NyLonEd)
    Depends what job you want.
    Oh sure, I mean the world would be a bleak place without someone wanting to serve burgers and fries.

ReputationRep:
    One thing to remember though is that the actual sample sizes involved in these surveys means that they aren't as revealing as you think. Especially if you're looking by both subject studied and institution - think about how many people are on a course in one year and then how many of those get surveyed and how many of those actually respond... at small unis you'd end up with about 10 people making up the group...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ish90an)
    Oh sure, I mean the world would be a bleak place without someone wanting to serve burgers and fries.
    What the hell are you talking about?

ReputationRep:
    The list isn't that suprising.

It becomes less suprising when you take notice of the fact that it is the average starting salary for graduates who earn more than £20000

So graduates earning less than £20000 won't be included.

A lot of LSE graduates will be going into banking so not suprising they are the highest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tha_Black_Shinobi)
    I think this is a more important league table for telling you about which unis have the best graduate prospects. It shows the universities which are most targeted by the top 100 graduate employers
    http://www.highfliers.co.uk/download...teMarket09.pdf
    My issue with that is the way the "top 100 graduate employers" are selected:

"As part of the campus research for The UK Graduate Careers Survey 2008, 15,381 final year students from thirty leading universities were asked the unprompted question “Which employer do you think offers the best opportunities for graduates?”. Between them, finalists named over 600 different organisations during the survey – the one hundred employers with the most student votes form The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers for 2008. "

WTF? How do people still at university get the position of deciding which graduate employers are best? Surely these are the people least likely to know??? For example, Accenture is on the list, and I've heard a lot of bad things about that company as an employer; yet finalists at university wouldn't have any idea what it's like.

On another note, how do they work out "starting salaries"? I'm having a post-uni gap year so I have a low-stress, not especially well-paid temp job (to save money to go travelling). But I have a place on a grad scheme for September that pays quite a lot. I would count this as my starting salary, really, but I can see that many people wouldn't.

ReputationRep:
    I wish I was on £22,323.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by montyr)
    The list isn't that suprising.

It becomes less suprising when you take notice of the fact that it is the average starting salary for graduates who earn more than £20000

So graduates earning less than £20000 won't be included.

A lot of LSE graduates will be going into banking so not suprising they are the highest.
    no. look again and use some common sense.

it is a list of "all averages that are 20000" (look at the last in the list).

what you are suggesting is stupid and never would be calculated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelkin)
    My issue with that is the way the "top 100 graduate employers" are selected:

"As part of the campus research for The UK Graduate Careers Survey 2008, 15,381 final year students from thirty leading universities were asked the unprompted question “Which employer do you think offers the best opportunities for graduates?”. Between them, finalists named over 600 different organisations during the survey – the one hundred employers with the most student votes form The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers for 2008. "

WTF? How do people still at university get the position of deciding which graduate employers are best? Surely these are the people least likely to know??? For example, Accenture is on the list, and I've heard a lot of bad things about that company as an employer; yet finalists at university wouldn't have any idea what it's like.

On another note, how do they work out "starting salaries"? I'm having a post-uni gap year so I have a low-stress, not especially well-paid temp job (to save money to go travelling). But I have a place on a grad scheme for September that pays quite a lot. I would count this as my starting salary, really, but I can see that many people wouldn't.
    accenture pays competitively. that along makes it a good employer in a lot of peoples eyes.

starting salaries are calculated usually from responses to graduate surveys run by the institutions a few months after graduation. so you probably wouldn't be included (though obviously since you're starting in a graduate position, most sane people would call your salary a starting salary). Doubt this is skewing the data much though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chewwy)
    accenture pays competitively. that along makes it a good employer in a lot of peoples eyes.
    Yeah, and that seems very short-sighted to me. I don't get whose idea it was to come up with a list of the companies that inexperienced uni students think are well good, and call those companies "the best graduate employers". Madness.

starting salaries are calculated usually from responses to graduate surveys run by the institutions a few months after graduation. so you probably wouldn't be included (though obviously since you're starting in a graduate position, most sane people would call your salary a starting salary). Doubt this is skewing the data much though.
    Ah, yes. I think you are probably correct. Obviously I don't really care, I would just like to think I was helping out the English Literature statistics because starting salaries for grads like me average really low!

ReputationRep:
    Brunel>Bristol?

ReputationRep:
    Get a-levels then get a degree at Hertfordshire...and I'll be on less than a soldier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rzc)
    Get a-levels then get a degree at Hertfordshire...and I'll be on less than a soldier.
    from which we conclude you shouldn't go to Hertfordshire.

ReputationRep:
    i lol'd

ReputationRep:
    Having said that, the top of that list aren't that much better off than a soldier!

ReputationRep:
    no. look again and use some common sense.

it is a list of "all averages that are 20000" (look at the last in the list).

what you are suggesting is stupid and never would be calculated.
    Fair enough, I just read it that way and it would have explained some of the high averages, but then conversely I guess it would make some of the averages look low.

I wouldn't agree it is a stupid thing to look at though as it would filter out the people who went into charity work etc. And also people doing low paid, low skilled jobs to save before they go traveling or just while the jobs market is tough. Could be quite an interesting thing to look at.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.