Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Gays issue. Are we in the West just another Iran? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gontak)
    Living in the past does nothing to help the present or the future.

And the argument trying to be made is that the west is the same as Iran on gay rights. Which is evidently not the case and a rather foolish exaggerated argument to make.
    Not if we are comparing hypocrisy. having 1/3 vote against the repeal of DADT shows just how far we still have to go.
    If the comparison is not made, we may never get there.

Regards
    DL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey11223)
    I suppose you could try displaying affection to each other as a homosexual couple in public places, see in which country the authorities take issue, if at all.

Although...are public displays of affection disapproved of no matter what in Iran? I mean Dubia seems more Westernised but that British couple was arrested for kissed in a restaurant or something.
    It is all a matter of degrees. Even with heterosexuals.
    If in a public place, I do not mind seeing affection being shown. I am not interested in a couple thumping away at the table next to mine.
    All should always be asking themselves---who am I with and what am I doing ?---to determine if whatever they are doing is appropriate or not.

Regards
    DL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greatest I am)
    It is all a matter of degrees. Even with heterosexuals.
    If in a public place, I do not mind seeing affection being shown. I am not interested in a couple thumping away at the table next to mine.
    All should always be asking themselves---who am I with and what am I doing ?---to determine if whatever they are doing is appropriate or not.

Regards
    DL
    Oh I agree totally, I was just wondering how the law is applied to people showing public displays of affection.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey11223)
    Oh I agree totally, I was just wondering how the law is applied to people showing public displays of affection.
    I imagine all situations are different but I would hope gently. It would seem wrong to me to chastise harshly what affection caused. Affection is good.

In this case, perhaps we should turn to a book of wisdom. Tt just happens to be the Bible.

Romans 12:21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
    Affection is not quite evil but it's inappropriate display might be seen as just that.

Regards
    DL

ReputationRep:
    I dont like gays but in a different way to the way Iran hates them does that still make us alike Iran? How? only in the way we hate them? How about Christians aint they against Gays? Isnt Christianity and Islam two different religions hang on,
    this question is stupid you obviously lack thinking.
    Get over it Gays are not liked and its pretty obvious to see why because we are all humans and share the same nature and Irans and the west i should point out share the same nature, am i getting anywhere with this i hope you are following. It is out of nature, live with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paint-a-Picture)
    I dont like gays but in a different way to the way Iran hates them does that still make us alike Iran? How? only in the way we hate them? How about Christians aint they against Gays? Isnt Christianity and Islam two different religions hang on,
    this question is stupid you obviously lack thinking.
    Get over it Gays are not liked and its pretty obvious to see why because we are all humans and share the same nature and Irans and the west i should point out share the same nature, am i getting anywhere with this i hope you are following. It is out of nature, live with it.
    Out of nature is it?
    look again for the first time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RlTAyNI8WE

Regards
    DL

ReputationRep:
    I would like religions to stop discriminating and denigrating those who are not sinners except to a homophobic mind.

To discriminate against a sub group of society without just cause is to hate without cause.

That should be punished as it adds to the violence in the world.

Regards
    DL
    the religions are against the act of sodomy and those who promote it.... there is nothing homophobic about this.... you cannot prevent religions expressing their views on this matter....

It cannot be punished because the laws on hate crime cannot include the beliefs (that sodomy is a sin) of a particular faith (esp not the faith on which its laws were founded on!)

you need to get over this victim mentality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bunty64)
    the religions are against the act of sodomy and those who promote it.... there is nothing homophobic about this.... you cannot prevent religions expressing their views on this matter....

It cannot be punished because the laws on hate crime cannot include the beliefs (that sodomy is a sin) of a particular faith (esp not the faith on which its laws were founded on!)

you need to get over this victim mentality.
    Huh. Victim mentality.
    Never been there and never done that my friend but I see from the tribal way you thing, that you are mired in the us and them mentality of the religious. A shame and waste of a good mind.

You just cannot fathom one sticking up for the rights of another yet if we do not protect all rights then we will likely lose them.

That is how this type of hate policy has corrupted both the political side and the religious side.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlyh2XbbtsM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFO1b...layer_embedded

Open your mind and heart.

Regards
    DL

ReputationRep:
    Huh. Victim mentality.
    Never been there and never done that my friend but I see from the tribal way you thing, that you are mired in the us and them mentality of the religious. A shame and waste of a good mind.

You just cannot fathom one sticking up for the rights of another yet if we do not protect all rights then we will likely lose them.

That is how this type of hate policy has corrupted both the political side and the religious side.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlyh2XbbtsM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFO1b...layer_embedded

Open your mind and heart.

Regards
    DL
    it's not a tribal/race/hate thing...... live and let live is what I believe.

you cannot prevent people from having thier religous beliefs but you can prevent them from discriminating others based no religous/gender/orienation etc.....
    A civilised country which promotes and imposes themselves on other countries by murderous means, cannot prevent a group of people expressing thier religous beliefs. Not possible.

are you american/british?

Homophobic attacks are not (well in the uk at least) due to religous reasons- may be so in america, iran etc..

ReputationRep:
    it's not a tribal/race/hate thing...... live and let live is what I believe.

you cannot prevent people from having thier religous beliefs but you can prevent them from discriminating others based no religous/gender/orienation etc.....
    A civilised country which promotes and imposes themselves on other countries by murderous means, cannot prevent a group of people expressing thier religous beliefs. Not possible.

are you american/british?

Homophobic attacks are not (well in the uk at least) due to religous reasons- may be so in america, iran etc..
    Show where this non religious implication comes from.

I am a Canadian BTW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMw2Z...eature=related

In Uganda it is all God driven it seems.

Regards
    DL

ReputationRep:
    Show where this non religious implication comes from.

I am a Canadian BTW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMw2Z...eature=related

In Uganda it is all God driven it seems.

Regards
    DL
    I mean the uk.... and perhaps the same in america and canada. In countries where homosexuality is accepted, attacks on homosexuals don't seem to have a religous motive.

In places like uganda it is banned on religous grounds and attacks usually follow due to religous motivation. The only thing that can be done is to promote human rights in such places, but then it still wouldn't solve the issue of the disapproval of homosexuality in countries with christian beliefs....

If america and her allies can't convince iraq/afghanistan (after using all their strength) to turn towards their christian version of democracy, then it seems there is very little they can do anywhere else in the world).... You cannot enforce your view on others; or perhaps you can, but you'll find it isn't productive to your aim.

ReputationRep:
    I mean the uk.... and perhaps the same in america and canada. In countries where homosexuality is accepted, attacks on homosexuals don't seem to have a religous motive.

In places like uganda it is banned on religous grounds and attacks usually follow due to religous motivation. The only thing that can be done is to promote human rights in such places, but then it still wouldn't solve the issue of the disapproval of homosexuality in countries with christian beliefs....

If america and her allies can't convince iraq/afghanistan (after using all their strength) to turn towards their christian version of democracy, then it seems there is very little they can do anywhere else in the world).... You cannot enforce your view on others; or perhaps you can, but you'll find it isn't productive to your aim.
    And if the West does not walk it's talk, why in hell would we think that the East will follow out hypocritical ways?

Do as I say and not as I do is a piss poor policy to try and sell.

That is the point.

Regards
    DL

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.