Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeanK22)
    We don't hate Dubstep due to the ' "filthy" mid range wobble'. Poor lyrics
    Dubstep isn't primarily a lyrical genre. Are you sure you aren't confusing it with grime?

and instrumentally weak songs accomplish our hate.

Come again?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gob Bluth)
    Lemon Jelly, Mr Scruff, Leftfield, Orbital, Boards Of Canada, Aphex Twin, Amon Tobin, Ulrich Schnauss, Moderat, James Blake, Orb, Moby, The KLF, Massive Attack, Aim, Stone Roses (more rock but still they are brilliant), DJ Yoda, Future Sound of London, Plaid, Portishead, Air, Zero 7, DJ Shadow, Burial, Autechre, Propellorheads, Venetian Snares, Underworld ....
    You might like this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    You might like this.
    I have seen the youtube channel, wasn't aware of the fb page so i shall definitely like it as looks like some good stuff up there. You have a fair few fans too! It's primarily your channel isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gunnerzz)
    Mount Eden Dubstep. I love. In-between that very chilled and nice bass line. Pisses me off when amateurs stick a 'filthy wobble' and a kick over a perfectly good song and ruin it.
    Chase & Status <3
    Magnetic Man <3
    All great artists.
    Just wow @ this post

ReputationRep:
    I have seen the youtube channel, wasn't aware of the fb page so i shall definitely like it as looks like some good stuff up there. You have a fair few fans too! It's primarily your channel isn't it?
    I'm the sole founder and administrator of both entities. The Facebook page was conceived primarily as a response to Youtube's increasingly militant stance on copyright-infringement (since it enables me to effectively publicise commercial music without risk of reprisal), whilst the Youtube channel now serves almost exclusively as a promotional platform for independent artists.

ReputationRep:
    You seem to have selective memory. You called 90s music crap and have barely listened to any of it to call it that. I have however listened to a huge amount of music from both decades and so had more of a grounds of opinion. But you were being arrogant, offensive and a tad stupid with your opinions. You can't dismiss someone's pov if you haven't got the grounds to dismiss it (in this case by hardly listening to any 90s music).

You are the first person i have met who or seen anywhere on he web who doesn't like Leftfield. Their live shows are golden too. Probably the best gig i've ever been to. And you don't like Aphex Twin? Windowlicker is probably one of the best songs of the last century critically and in my opinion too. Xtal is probably the most otherworldly and amazing song i have heard too. I'm surprised how you can dismiss such a diverse artist though. He makes the most beautiful music and then makes the most weird-amazing music. It takes time to get used to such artists i guess. You should give it a chance as i said. Listen to the likes of SAW 85-92 and Leftism a few times and i guarentee you will be hooked. The argument of music taste i don't like. I think anything with appropriate listening times and talent in there people will like. I used to be a huge rock/metal listener but times changed when i discovered electronic music. Ultimately i'm not writing this post to be an ass, i'm just saying things from my perspective and trying to help people at least show the effort i tried in finding music. And sure it took me a while to get into some of the artists above. The likes of Air, Lemon Jelly, Mr Scruff are easy to get into. Orbital, Orb, Boards of Canada takes more effort but it's really worth it at the end of the day for me! I would dearly like to know what stuff you heard from the artists you mentioned above though. I would be prepared to say you have only heard a song or two, or an album at most imo.

You don't seem to get it. I'm up for finding new styles of music. I have just given what is basically a very much opening framework of electronic music. It isn't deep at all and the amount of joy it's given me is vastly more than i had when i listened to other stuff. Music is music at the end of the day. I base off how it sounds and not what genre it is. I give everything a chance, so if you really want to give me a list go ahead.
    I said the 90's has been the worst decade for music since the 50's, which I think is a perfectly valid opinion when I have listened to a lot of 90's music, and the majority of my favorite bands are from other decades.

The only real exceptions to this are refused, who are the best and most influential hardcore band since black flag. And RATM

am happy to admit that I have only listened to a few songs by each of the artists you mentioned.

If you really want to give hardcore a go then listen to;

Gallows - Seen them 14 times, from the smallest 200 cap clubs to outdoor stage infront of 40000 people (supporting RATM) No other band can put on a show as intense as they can.

The dillinger escape plan - They are a mathcore band, but are very different and diverse with random jazz breakdowns and stuff. Listen to stuff like 43% burnt and sugar coated sour, not just stuff like milk lizard thats easier on the ears.

Lower than Atlantis - Last album has gone more grungey, but is some of the best stuff they have ever written, check out taping songs of the radio, and im not bulimic.

Rolo Tomassi - Mathcore band from sheffield. Really good technical stuff, and lead vocalist it hot. I love turbulence and cosmology should give you an idea of what they are about.

Theres also stuff like the ghost of a thousand, polar bear club, Alexisonfire, Architects, bad religion, cancer bats and more that are worth checking out.

They are all new, modern bands but I can also recommended older stuff if you like, refused are a must though

To truly appreciate hardcore bands you've got to see them live, there's nothing more intense than a good hardcore band in a tiny venue with everyone going insane.

Also non hardcore bands like sharks and the gaslight anthem about at the moment that are brilliant, so its not just indie music, theres other stuff but its a little more underground.

Edit: this is why Biffy Clyro arent crap aswell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHOsFXqZ0fM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0b1FgWrj3o
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuAgM9dgL-s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    I said the 90's has been the worst decade for music since the 50's, which I think is a perfectly valid opinion when I have listened to a lot of 90's music, and the majority of my favorite bands are from other decades.

The only real exceptions to this are refused, who are the best and most influential hardcore band since black flag. And RATM

am happy to admit that I have only listened to a few songs by each of the artists you mentioned.

If you really want to give hardcore a go then listen to;

Gallows - Seen them 14 times, from the smallest 200 cap clubs to outdoor stage infront of 40000 people (supporting RATM) No other band can put on a show as intense as they can.

The dillinger escape plan - They are a mathcore band, but are very different and diverse with random jazz breakdowns and stuff. Listen to stuff like 43% burnt and sugar coated sour, not just stuff like milk lizard thats easier on the ears.

Lower than Atlantis - Last album has gone more grungey, but is some of the best stuff they have ever written, check out taping songs of the radio, and im not bulimic.

Rolo Tomassi - Mathcore band from sheffield. Really good technical stuff, and lead vocalist it hot. I love turbulence and cosmology should give you an idea of what they are about.

Theres also stuff like the ghost of a thousand, polar bear club, Alexisonfire, Architects, bad religion, cancer bats and more that are worth checking out.

They are all new, modern bands but I can also recommended older stuff if you like, refused are a must though

To truly appreciate hardcore bands you've got to see them live, there's nothing more intense than a good hardcore band in a tiny venue with everyone going insane.

Also non hardcore bands like sharks and the gaslight anthem about at the moment that are brilliant, so its not just indie music, theres other stuff but its a little more underground.
    I have given this stuff a go in the past and really don't take to it. I don't see any big advancements of stuff from that past. I think it's generally average music. Nothing hugely innovative there! If i ever got into the hardcore genre in the future i will refer back to this however. But seeing as i was never really into punk even from the 70s. Don't really like the Sex Pistols. Only really rate the clash, i doubt i would get into it ever.

Your opinion of a good gig is different to mine. There is a difference between enjoying and having and awesome atmosphere than everyone going insane with moshpits everywhere where you get injured. I'm there for the music and just having a general amazing time.

Also, you can't get into stuff by listening to a few songs. I mean no band can you do that with! I don't think any band i ever got into i only listen to a few songs of theirs! Albums define how good an artist is at the end of the day. Songs are only good for a short period of time for me. And for me a flowing album all the way through is brilliant. One that doesn't flow generally doesn't stick in my playlist for long enough.

Ultimately i guess the main point is if you don't want people to preach stuff to you, don't go on to threads to moan about other people's tastes. That way you will avoid all this.

I'm the sole founder and administrator of both entities. The Facebook page was conceived primarily as a response to Youtube's increasingly militant stance on copyright-infringement (since it enables me to effectively publicise commercial music without risk of reprisal), whilst the Youtube channel now serves almost exclusively as a promotional platform for independent artists.
    Cool, and it's really good. Enjoy the vast majority of the stuff. Heard a lot of it, but there's a lot of new stuff! Keep it up anyway, you sure have a nice fanbase!

ReputationRep:
    I have given this stuff a go in the past and really don't take to it. I don't see any big advancements of stuff from that past. I think it's generally average music. Nothing hugely innovative there! If i ever got into the hardcore genre in the future i will refer back to this however. But seeing as i was never really into punk even from the 70s. Don't really like the Sex Pistols. Only really rate the clash, i doubt i would get into it ever.

Your opinion of a good gig is different to mine. There is a difference between enjoying and having and awesome atmosphere than everyone going insane with moshpits everywhere where you get injured. I'm there for the music and just having a general amazing time.

Also, you can't get into stuff by listening to a few songs. I mean no band can you do that with! I don't think any band i ever got into i only listen to a few songs of theirs! Albums define how good an artist is at the end of the day. Songs are only good for a short period of time for me. And for me a flowing album all the way through is brilliant. One that doesn't flow generally doesn't stick in my playlist for long enough.

Ultimately i guess the main point is if you don't want people to preach stuff to you, don't go on to threads to moan about other people's tastes. That way you will avoid all this.
    So basically you have dismissed a whole genre of music like you have been critising me for?

Of course a gig is about he music, but its also about the atmosphere

Skip the first 30 seconds, they are playing really tight and theres a fantastic atmosphere.

If I listen to 3/4 songs off an album and dont like any of them then its highly unlikely that I will like the album.

ReputationRep:
    Dubstep isn't primarily a lyrical genre. Are you sure you aren't confusing it with grime?

Come again?
    Phalaeh is something else. Very deep producer. I was on your youtube channel the other day btw. 27m views iirc. Jeez.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cybele)
    No really, it's rubbish.
    Then you're really either deaf or stupid, or both because the point here is to show people like you who generalise the genre and badmouth it because they hear a primarily heavy song (no doubt that is) There's no such thing as a rubbish genre bar exceptions like Screamcore, because music has such variance. To call something as diverse as dubstep rubbish is really just pig ignorantly oblivious to me posting what me and many other people percieve to be quality examples of the genre. You're then callling all its crossovers rubbish, such as garage, grime, dub. You're also calling its influences rubbish.... and they range from trance to classical to electronica to everything even dare I say *cringe* pop.

Basically to generalise and pigeonhole all dubstep into one lump of "rubbishness" really does smack of bigotry and ignorance. You're basically saying you hate most musical genres/crossovers. In which case I pity you, foo'.

ReputationRep:
    sup doods i love dubstep this tune is filfyer than my nan's nappy after she eats 1000 curries and messes herself urhghhh sick drop in this one

ReputationRep:
    Whats dubstep? This has confused me for so long

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    So basically you have dismissed a whole genre of music like you have been critising me for?

Of course a gig is about he music, but its also about the atmosphere

Skip the first 30 seconds, they are playing really tight and theres a fantastic atmosphere.

If I listen to 3/4 songs off an album and dont like any of them then its highly unlikely that I will like the album.
    Hardcore Punk is a subgenre. Electronica is a genre basically as broad as Rock music. The artists i named were from dnb, acid house, acid jazz, house, big beat, downtempo, trip hop, dubstep, techno, idm and more. It is far broader than the narrow hardcore you have said. Anyway as i said if you don't like what i, and others said than stick out of threads that you criticise in, especially in something you have literally no knowledge about. As said i would never stick my nose in to a hardcore thread because i don't have an interest in it. Simples. Honestly that crowd looks like my idea of hell. I just imagine there are loads of youngish people who try to do all this mosh pitting to look cool and fail miserably. That just isn't an atmosphere for me. That's just mayhem, and music isn't about just going mental. There's that mellow side too you know, and many other parts which you don't seem to acknowledge. :/

Atmosphere is definitely important. That's what i wasn't arguing about. But when people go insane and make mosh pits i dislike it. There is no fun in getting bruised in a gig. Dancing to the music and having an awesome time with other like minded people, however for me is what makes a brilliant gig.

ReputationRep:
    Hardcore Punk is a subgenre. Electronica is a genre basically as broad as Rock music. The artists i named were from dnb, acid house, acid jazz, house, big beat, downtempo, trip hop, dubstep, techno, idm and more. It is far broader than the narrow hardcore you have said. Anyway as i said if you don't like what i, and others said than stick out of threads that you criticise in, especially in something you have literally no knowledge about. As said i would never stick my nose in to a hardcore thread because i don't have an interest in it. Simples. Honestly that crowd looks like my idea of hell. I just imagine there are loads of youngish people who try to do all this mosh pitting to look cool and fail miserably. That just isn't an atmosphere for me. That's just mayhem, and music isn't about just going mental. There's that mellow side too you know, and many other parts which you don't seem to acknowledge. :/

Atmosphere is definitely important. That's what i wasn't arguing about. But when people go insane and make mosh pits i dislike it. There is no fun in getting bruised in a gig. Dancing to the music and having an awesome time with other like minded people, however for me is what makes a brilliant gig.
    I'm not a huge fan of pits either, and they are easily avoided, its more being around people who appreciate and enjoy the same music, shouting out every word to every song. You dont get bruised and hurt either, if someone is acting like a **** then the band will call you out and tell you to stop of get kicked out.

I also never go in any thread about electronic music, but this thread is called "To all you dubstep haters" So I assume the OP wanted some input from people who dont like dubstep.

I understand mellow and more chilled out stuff as well, one of the best gigs I have ever been to was city and colour and you cant get more chilled out than that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clothespeg)
    Whats dubstep? This has confused me for so long
    Music that has around a 140beats per min bassline/sub bass.

ReputationRep:

ps i saw people moshing to drum and bass one time and the mc told them to cut it out lolol

ReputationRep:
    I can not enjoy dubstep cos it's just not fast enough. Well, it's too fast to be ambient, which I enjoy, and it's too slow to be hardcore/gabba/speedcore which I love. That middle ground is just something I can't seem to enjoy at all.

Oh and Gallows are poor man. The UK hardcore scene is in a sorry state really, I havent heard a decent band in the scene since Fig 4.0...well, except maybe Hammers, Jesus of Spazzareth and What Price, Wonderland?, but none of those 3 are really doing anything special.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaydoh)
    Then you're really either deaf or stupid, or both because the point here is to show people like you who generalise the genre and badmouth it because they hear a primarily heavy song (no doubt that is) There's no such thing as a rubbish genre bar exceptions like Screamcore, because music has such variance. To call something as diverse as dubstep rubbish is really just pig ignorantly oblivious to me posting what me and many other people percieve to be quality examples of the genre. You're then callling all its crossovers rubbish, such as garage, grime, dub. You're also calling its influences rubbish.... and they range from trance to classical to electronica to everything even dare I say *cringe* pop.

You're basically saying you hate most musical genres/crossovers.
    Are you on a wind up? Music itself is entirely subjective and what appeals to one person might not to someone else. That's really all there is to it, and yet because someone doesn't agree with you, they must be by default "deaf or stupid"?

I don't like dubstep because it does absolutely nothing for me when I listen to it. I find it incredibly boring, it has no message or relevancy to me. My favourite genres are brit rock, ska, reggae, soul - feel free to criticise them all you like because like I said, it's so subjective you cannot dismiss someone's opinion just because it's the opposite of yours.

You're basically saying you hate most musical genres/crossovers.
    And how the hell did you come to that conclusion? You really are pulling my chain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dubstep.)
    Music that has around a 140beats per min bassline/sub bass.
    For someone whos name is dubstep, that is a shocking definition of the genre, and doesnt describe dubstep any more then it describes a lot of house music. Off the top of my head Ian Van Dalh's Castles in the Sky is around 140bpm, is that dubstep? No, nothing like, its a classic house/dance music track which predates dubstep as a genre and doesnt contain any of the elements which make dubstep unique.

Dubstep is characterized by the 2 step, or half time beats used, and the sub bass elements on a mainly simplistic percussion beat. It is an evolution of drum and bass, and therefore from reggae and jungle music. More often than not it doesnt follow a 4/4 time signature.

Ok, not the best definition, but it sums it up a million times better than your crap definition which describes about 40% of electronic music regardless of genre.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riderz)
    For someone whos name is dubstep, that is a shocking definition of the genre, and doesnt describe dubstep any more then it describes a lot of house music. Off the top of my head Ian Van Dalh's Castles in the Sky is around 140bpm, is that dubstep? No, nothing like, its a classic house/dance music track which predates dubstep as a genre and doesnt contain any of the elements which make dubstep unique.

Dubstep is characterized by the 2 step, or half time beats used, and the sub bass elements on a mainly simplistic percussion beat. It is an evolution of drum and bass, and therefore from reggae and jungle music. More often than not it doesnt follow a 4/4 time signature.

Ok, not the best definition, but it sums it up a million times better than your crap definition which describes about 40% of electronic music regardless of genre.
    Jeez I only wanted to write a sentence not a whole essay.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.