Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajtiesto)
    In this country, get on with everyone as a muslim? Not a chance. In this current day and age if your muslim, your either seen as a terrorist, extremist or a 3rd world immigrant living off benefits. When people stop stereotyping muslims like this then maybe, just maybe I could actually feel like I actually live in this country. The only thing that keeps me going is my religion.
    I think you are being a bit extreme here. Not everyone thinks like this, infact most people don't. Clearly you have a little bit off a chip on your shoulder, and I don't mean any disrespect by that, but you clearly do. Yes there are some ***** in this country but lets not generalise.
    • PS Helper
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mujahid_e3)
    Why do people celebrate christmas on 25th even though they know Jesus wasnt born on december 25th?? This dont really make sense and is a bit weird really. Just proves that people are not into religion and their faith, they just do what they want

I think it would be best for you to reread what you posted. It actually appears quite offensive in that I was insulted that you were insinuating that I simply "do what I want". Also, as it was said previously google is your friend. But to help you out as you clearly don't have the capacity to do that yes, it is to do with the pagan holiday that was spoken about previously.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm just giving you an example of the things that people of other faiths have deal with in this country. I'm not discriminating against anyone, I just want fairness when it come's to things like religious holidays. There can't one rule for one group and different rule for another. I always here this country treats everyone equally regardless of race, religion or culture but that is certainly not the case here.
    Yes it is the case, maybe your attendance at work wasn't good enough to have the religious days off? Or your work is ignorant.

I'm fed up of people like you having ignorant people discriminate against them so they decide to discriminate against the whole country, I've been called a "stupid white girl" in a different language and had my friend translate it for me just for walking past someone in a rush. Why bring my colour into it?

You're entitled to like 2 or 4 religious days off each year depending on where you work, but sorry if Christmas and Easter are public holidays, its because the country is a Christian majority country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hravan)
    :banghead:Oh gods, now you're just being obtuse.
    Okay but your points are understandable but are abit irrelevant!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lyrical_lie)
    I think it would be best for you to reread what you posted. It actually appears quite offensive in that I was insulted that you were insinuating that I simply "do what I want". Also, as it was said previously google is your friend. But to help you out as you clearly don't have the capacity to do that yes, it is to do with the pagan holiday that was spoken about previously.
    It wasnt meant to be offensive! i find it offensive you saying i dont have the capacity to do that! All im trying to do is just find out why people do so and so! Yes people have said its due to the pagan tradition! but how comes people who dont belive in jesus or christianity celebrate it??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HEJ92)
    Yes it is the case, maybe your attendance at work wasn't good enough to have the religious days off? Or your work is ignorant.

I'm fed up of people like you having ignorant people discriminate against them so they decide to discriminate against the whole country, I've been called a "stupid white girl" in a different language and had my friend translate it for me just for walking past someone in a rush. Why bring my colour into it?

You're entitled to like 2 or 4 religious days off each year depending on where you work, but sorry if Christmas and Easter are public holidays, its because the country is a Christian majority country.
    They must of said to you for a reason.

2 or 4 days, if your lucky yeah.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    It wasnt meant to be offensive! i find it offensive you saying i dont have the capacity to do that! All im trying to do is just find out why people do so and so! Yes people have said its due to the pagan tradition! but how comes people who dont belive in jesus or christianity celebrate it??

It can be said you don't have the capacity as it has been proven you haven't used google. And as again as it has been said, incase you haven't noticed. It is a cultural thing. I can't speak for everyone in Britain, but I celebrate it as I am Catholic. And it has been that date for many a year.

ReputationRep:
    Solstice falls anywhere between the 21st and 23rd and Christmas is built upon pagan quarter-day festival of Yule.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not abiding by this countries law or culture thank very much. I follow only Allah's laws and no one else's. I owe this country nothing, I was born here. Just because I'm a muslim that doesn't mean I have to follow the British way of life and integrate into their social type of living. I was born a muslim, I will live like a muslim and I will die a muslim!
    That's not fair. It's a two-way street. You should definitely try to integrate up to the point where it begins to clash with Muslim culture.

In the New Testament there is a caveat where Jesus was asked whether Christians should pay tax to ("submit to") the secular Roman authority. "Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's, and unto God that which is God's," was the reply; basically, be yourself, but don't be a **** about it. Isn't there an equivalent caveat in Islam?

ReputationRep:
    Because it's in the goddamn cultural and social psyche to celebrate it.

Plus, a festival around the winter solstice is not, has never been, and will never be ****ing exclusive to Christianity!

Many of the cultural traditions that surround Christmas have nothing to do with Christianity in the first place!

:banghead:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hravan)
    Because it's in the goddamn cultural and social psyche to celebrate it.

Plus, a festival around the winter solstice is not, has never been, and will never be ****ing exclusive to Christianity!

Many of the cultural traditions that surround Christmas have nothing to do with Christianity in the first place!

:banghead:
    Why you so aggressive! The birth is exclusive and should be related to religion not culture!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lyrical_lie)
    It can be said you don't have the capacity as it has been proven you haven't used google. And as again as it has been said, incase you haven't noticed. It is a cultural thing. I can't speak for everyone in Britain, but I celebrate it as I am Catholic. And it has been that date for many a year.
    Well it can be said that you have the will to do what you want even if it means to celebrate christmas when you want. Christmas should be a religious act not a cultural! People actually have feelings for jesus and actually remember him during christmas. Just because you dont doesnt mean its cultural i know u said u speak for urself but why celebrate when if you think about it its actually religious! Prob bcoz of all the pressies and parties hey?

ReputationRep:
    Why you so aggressive! The birth is exclusive and should be related to religion not culture!
    Because you're being incredibly obtuse.

I've already explain, the whole idea of the "Light of the World" being born around the winter solstice is NOT exclusive to Christianity. Many, many things that people ignorantly believe are exclusively Christian are NOT as there are many older religions that have similar stories and myths. I'm not going to try with you anymore. There's this crazy little website on the internet called "Google". It might just help you with your ignorance a little bit :cool:

Also, like it or not, the UK's culture does has a deep rooting in Christianity. Even though we are now moving away from Christianity there are things (like Christmas) which are still deeply rooted in the collective cultural psyche and it's NOT GOING TO CHANGE!

ReputationRep:
    The date isn't important, it's the celebrations that count.

ReputationRep:
    in 1500 years we'll celebrate the birth of Simon Cowell and remember Diana's death. We may or may not get the dates right. We'll still get wasted and eat mince pies though. Hopefully.

ReputationRep:
    They must of said to you for a reason.

2 or 4 days, if your lucky yeah.
    It doesn't matter if there was a reason or not to call me stupid, but it is the fact they chose to say "stupid white girl" instead of just "stupid girl".

And you're entitled to religious days off unless your attendance is disgustingly poor in your workplace and if your workplace isn't giving you that time of then raise the issue with your boss, not the whole country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arekkusu)
    That's not fair. It's a two-way street. You should definitely try to integrate up to the point where it begins to clash with Muslim culture.

In the New Testament there is a caveat where Jesus was asked whether Christians should pay tax to ("submit to") the secular Roman authority. "Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's, and unto God that which is God's," was the reply; basically, be yourself, but don't be a **** about it. Isn't there an equivalent caveat in Islam?
    No thanks, not the type of culture you people follow. I don't really want to drink myself to the brink of death every friday and saturday night. Nor do I want to put christmas trees and decorations in my house. I don't have to support England or GB which ever sport they play in. Nor do I have to go night clubs and bars to pick strangers for sex every weekend. Plus I don't want to associate myself with a community who support the wars in Iraq and Afganistan.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Well it can be said that you have the will to do what you want even if it means to celebrate christmas when you want. Christmas should be a religious act not a cultural! People actually have feelings for jesus and actually remember him during christmas. Just because you dont doesnt mean its cultural i know u said u speak for urself but why celebrate when if you think about it its actually religious! Prob bcoz of all the pressies and parties hey?

Excuse me. I NEVER said that part in bold. I love my religion, some bits I may disagree on a tad but hey you have to live with the difficult parts then so be it. When I had typed my original message I was just back from mass. I go every Sunday. So do not start telling me that I only see it for the presents. I look at it for the religious aspects, just because you are too narrow minded to see it in its full. In that it brings families together. Enjoy each others company and genuinly have a nice time together. Are you trying to tell me that's not what religion is about? Loving your family and your God?

So yes, get off your high horse in which you think you know what I think about mass and Christmas.

P.S learn how to type.

ReputationRep:
    No thanks, not the type of culture you people follow. I don't really want to drink myself to the brink of death every friday and saturday night. Nor do I want to put christmas trees and decorations in my house. I don't have to support England or GB which ever sport they play in. Nor do I have to go night clubs and bars to pick strangers for sex every weekend. Plus I don't want to associate myself with a community who support the wars in Iraq and Afganistan.
    It's OK not to want to follow that aspect of culture because of how it clashes with muslim values. But there are plenty of other ways of life in our country. I just don't like the idea that you reject the whole of British culture just because of that one aspect. The key to relating to British clubber types is not to judge them, to respect their choice of what you would call a sinful path, as they should equally respect your religion. The cohesion of society that would result is why judging is left up to God. I know a good few Muslims who go to clubs to fit in with their friends, but choose not to drink or shag. At the end of the day, if you sin, it's you who sins, not the places or the people you frequent who "force" you to sin.

A quick heads-up though: pretty much no-one supports the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Even crazy-ass racists who hate all Muslims wouldn't agree because it costs a bloody lot of money!

It is possible to celebrate Christmas secularly though; nobody actually celebrates it religiously any more! I don't think it clashes with your religion at all by participating in the customs of goodwill and giving. Giving is a pillar of Islam, right? Of course you don't have to put up a Christmas tree or decorations, but since the trappings are totally non-religious I really don't think it would actually be sinful. Though of course I would completely understand that the association with christianity might grate on your conscience, and it's all up to you anyway what you do in your own home.

I think the optimum level of integration is well defined in terms of sports :p: in my opinion you should feel that you support the country you have your roots in, but still want England or GB to do well! I support Wolves, but then I also follow the fortunes of my local team Forest Green, for example.

ReputationRep:
    It's just an excuse in this country to get drunk, shag strangers and stuff yourself with dirty mince pies. It's a waste of time and it should be banned imo. Pathetic really!
    Since when has that been a waste of time?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.