Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Around 3 maybe? i have a big family so Christmases were never the time for excessive amounts of presents of big expensive ones, just little things I guess. But with so many brothers and sisters it always seemed like I got loads. I don't care, tbh I wouldn't have it any other way! Christmas isn't about the presents for us.

ReputationRep:
    30-40 wtf?

ReputationRep:
    I must say that 30-40 presents is loads!. My parents used to give me around 5 when I was a child, and then 1 when I was older.Even then it was never something very expensive, after all its the thought that counts.For my own children they get a big present to share, like a games console or something and then lots of cheap smaller toys.

Christmas shouldnt be about how much stuff you got, its about spending time with family and making memories.Enjoy the time with your parents while you can people, they're not around long enough

ReputationRep:
    I probably get around 20-25 not including stocking fillers. And this would be off each parent as they are divorced. However, this year I am having much fewer presents and having the money

ReputationRep:
    Money usually, sometimes 5 - 10 smaller gifts.

ReputationRep:
    Its threads like this that makes me feel unloved

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CookieDoughLove)
    So i've been talking to a few people (teens like myself (19), and they say on average at Christmas they get like 10-12 gifts from the parents Which i'm a little shocked at, because I usually get between 30 and 40 (I thought this was normal) :confused:

So are they just not as spoilt, or is it about normal?

How many do you guys get? I'm curious now! It's not something I considered before.
    My mum gets me about about 12. Don't you feel bad for getting that much?

ReputationRep:
    Depends on whether I have a 'big' present or not. This year I'm hoping for an iPod, a new rucksack, a cardi, a book and some sweets from my parents. In return I've got my Dad a book and slippers, and my mum a calendar, a nightie and some sweets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noodle1987)
    I knew someone from work last year who spent about £400 on each child, they were on a pretty average wage and did lots of over time and saved extensivly to do it.

Personally I think that is totally excessive and sets a high standard that cannot be met year after year.
    How many children did they have? Thats what my Dad does, save over the year, as do I of course!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aspiringlawstudent)
    Maybe around five? I usually get something like this;

Money (£300-£750 depending on the financial situation)
    Drinks
    Edible things; candy, chocolates etc
    Clothes/Jewelry/Accessories; something like a sweater, a watch, a bag or something
    And maybe a phone/iPod if i've asked for one?

What the **** do your parents do for a living if you get 30-40 "good" presents?
    I didn't say they were "good" presents. I get cheap things too! For example, I wanted clothes this year, and my Dad gave me £100 to go find some clothes, bring them home and be wrapped :rolleyes: and I think out of that I picked up around 8 tops.

I get maybe 1/2 main expensive presents and the rest are things like clothes (high street), dvds, perfume, etc.

ReputationRep:
    30-40? you must be trollin'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blueflare)
    Lol wut. I get like 2 gifts to unwrap plus a bit of money...

Edit: I'm 20 btw. This has been the arrangement since I was 14/15.

gutted.

ReputationRep:
    Um no, you just asked how would a child get more at Christmas and i'm saying. People tend to budget at Christmas, therefore for children naturally the budget would stretch a bit further.
    Until I read this thread, I also thought a large amount of presents was the norm (pretty sure it is amongst most of my friends/family and we're not rich or anything) so I'm quite surprised by the responses. I usually get 1/2 'main' presents, around 5 'big' presents then 25-30 smaller ones (perfume, books etc) but I am NOT spoilt at all and I appreciate what I am given. I also give my family good presents in return so it's not like I just expect them to spend their money on me (and obviously it's their choice but this is the way it's always been in my family). There's nothing wrong with wanting to treat your family and friends and people who recieve a lot of presents still enjoy other aspects of Christmas - seeing family and friends, tradition, food, time off work, parties, maybe religion etc etc.

And I think you're right that a lot of people have a budget or an idea of what they're going to spend and that this will obviously go further on small children whose presents are generally quite cheap!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophiaKeuning)
    My mum gets me about about 12. Don't you feel bad for getting that much?
    Not in the slightest. Because I give the same back in return (not that my Dad has ever asked of course). My friends in high school I believe got the same amount as me (we used to discuss what we had been given) so again, I thought that was the norm. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liam 09)
    Trolling? As in lying? Why would I deliberately make a thread lying about something like this? :rolleyes: I've already said i'm genuinely curious as to what the norm is for people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liam 09)
    some people do my neice easily get that off my brother but both him and his wife earn over 100k each so can afford it.

ReputationRep:
    Trolling? As in lying? Why would I deliberately make a thread lying about something like this? :rolleyes: I've already said i'm genuinely curious as to what the norm is for people.
    Fair enough. I think you can get an idea about the norm from most of the replies then :P 30-40 presents sounds like a ridiculous amount, I guess it depends what you are getting, 39 Smarties and a new TV or what :O

In my case I'd get 1-2 presents from my parents not including stocking fillers.

ReputationRep:
    I usually get 1 main present (phone/laptop/games console etc) and then like 10 smaller things (dvds, books, random stuff) but i've noticed that as i've got older the amount has got smaller and I dont get a stocking anymore ... apparently it's easier to buy for little kids coz of toys and stuff ..

ReputationRep:
    Me and my brother usually get 5-10 presents, and some cash, usually between £150 and £250 depending what presents we get/how much they've spent already.

What sort of stuff do you get? And is it always stuff that you want/like, or stuff that you open, say thanks and then put in a cupboard and don't see it again for years? Just wondering

ReputationRep:
    I get minus 5!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.