Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    It pisses me off, some citylink van driver sped up my road going far too fast, skidded, did a 180 degree turn and stopped about 2 inches from the wall outside our house.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mfaxford)
    Well said.
    I would agree that if you are going significantly below the speed limit and there's a queue of traffic behind that you should pull in and let them overtake when it's safe to do so. If you're behind someone going slowly a flash of the lights or beep on the horn can be used to make them aware you're there. Constant flashing etc. and tailgating could be seen as agressive driving though and it would be the following driver that's in the wrong.
    I agree with your post in general, but just because one driver is in the wrong does not mean that the other driver is in the right. Most crashes (of this nature) occur when both drivers are acting like idiots.

ReputationRep:
    If someone's tailgating me, I'll increase the distance between me and any forward hazard (be it another car, bend, tree or whatever) - this will invariably mean reducing my speed slightly. That way, if I need to slam the anchors on because the car in front or whatever stopped suddenly (or a child ran out, deer ran across the road, whatever) I can do it more gently and not have the tailgater end up where the back seats of my car used to be. Even though it would be their fault (as far as insurance would be concerned) for rear-ending me, I can't be bothered with the paperwork.

Likewise in the snow, I'm only going to pull over if its safe to do so. I don't particularly want to get a tailgater off my backside and then get stuck on the side of the road in a snowdrift (based on how the roads and motorways were when I drove home on Sunday...). I don't particularly want to spend the next few hours with a shovel just because the person behind me was impatient.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    I agree with your post in general, but just because one driver is in the wrong does not mean that the other driver is in the right. Most crashes (of this nature) occur when both drivers are acting like idiots.
    If someone was driving at a speed they considered to be what they can do safely for the conditions and pulled in at a suitable point if they are causing a queue then how are they in the wrong?

Yes if they were deliberately winding up the person behind then they are also in the wrong.

(Original post by warrenpenalver)
    I deliberately antagonise tailgaters.
    I hope you get done in the same way as you hope the tailgaters you are antagonising get done. Both actions are wrong. From what you've said your actions are just as likely to cause an accident as the person tailgating.

ReputationRep:
    If someone was driving at a speed they considered to be what they can do safely for the conditions and pulled in at a suitable point if they are causing a queue then how are they in the wrong?

Yes if they were deliberately winding up the person behind then they are also in the wrong.
    No they wouldn't be in the wrong to do that. But a lot of people won't pull over even if there is a big queue of cars behind them, and even if they have had numerous opportunities to do so safely - and a lot of people on this thread have expressed the opinion that their attitude would be "**** the people behind me, I'm in front so I can do as I please".

I hope you get done in the same way as you hope the tailgaters you are antagonising get done. Both actions are wrong. From what you've said your actions are just as likely to cause an accident as the person tailgating.
    Well said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    While I agree with what you are saying in general (about idiots speading in the snow and ice), I don't agree with what I have quoted.

Many speed limits to seem somewhat random. Many twisty single track country lanes have a 60mph limit, despite it being near suicide to drive that fast down them. While other perfectly straight, modern bypasses are 30mph for no reason at all.

Ah, fair enough. You make a good point, and I agree with what you've said.
    • TSR Support Team

My mate texted me last night and some guy cut him up at an island them promptly crashed into a hedge in front of him.

ReputationRep:
    It made you angry that there was a car behind you?
    Of course not.
    It made me angry that the car was tailgating me and flashing his lights at me, even thought I couldn't move into the first lane.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rock Fan)
    Why is it that people have to speed in icy conditions, I had a situation tonight where I was going quite slowly because of the bad conditions and this prat behind me starting flashing his lights at me and shaking his fist, all because he couldn't over take with the amount of ice and snow in the middle of the road, just why?
    They have names...
    Chavs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pugnacitas)
    The idiot driver behind has the power to crash into the back of you. I always like to be behind or a few cars in front of a bad driver.
    Yes ofcourse he has, then I have the power to screw his ass for insurance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zigzagdoom)
    Surely its the ********s fault for trying to undertake.
    exactly. he has a choice to drive in accordance with the law or not. and its his responsibility for the consequences of that choice.

I hope you have the balls to stand up and explain this at the funeral of the father of four who dies in the accident you will inevitably cause with your deliberately reckless driving.
    I wont cause an accident. the other driver may cause an accident due to his irresponsible driving.

not in the eyes of the law. It is your responsibility to maintain a safe braking distance regardless of ANY circumstances. I can do what i want in front of you and if you hit me due to insufficient gap then its your fault.

slowing down to annoy a tailgater cannot possibly cause an accident from my perspective. If the driver tailgating chooses to loose his temper and self control and drives like an idiot then its his responsibility alone for an accident as a result of his silly manouvres.

in court i can happily stand there smugly stating i reduced speed in accordance with the highway code and when the tailgater was no longer behind me i increased speed again as i am legally entitled to. The tailgater will be legally in the wrong for a) tailgating, b) undertaking and of course any other offence caused by his idiotic driving leading to a crash.

just because a driver is a moron/short tempered does not excuse him causing an accident and it places NO obligation on other drivers to anticipate his moronic driving beyond normal anticipation as required in the highway code.

if you assumed every driver was an illegal driver who went across give way lines and broke every law then youd never make progress as youd have to for example stop and "give way" at every side road despite you being on the main road "just in case" someone fails to give way.

just as with "shutting the door" on drivers who fail to indicate, again i am always 100% in the clear legally as they have failed to signal their intentions and i have right of way.

just as i could legitimately flash my headlights at an oncoming car waiting to turn right across my path then ram into the side of his car. The law says a flashing headlamp means "i am here" nothing more, nothing less, despite the fact people often incorrectly use it to signal giving way to others.

the law is black and white in that sense.

there is no reasonable mitigation for breaking the RTA and highway code except in an emergency. and being in a hurry to a business meeting isnt an emergency in the eyes of the law.

ReputationRep:
    not in the eyes of the law. It is your responsibility to maintain a safe braking distance regardless of ANY circumstances. I can do what i want in front of you and if you hit me due to insufficient gap then its your fault.

slowing down to annoy a tailgater cannot possibly cause an accident from my perspective. If the driver tailgating chooses to loose his temper and self control and drives like an idiot then its his responsibility alone for an accident as a result of his silly manouvres.

in court i can happily stand there smugly stating i reduced speed in accordance with the highway code and when the tailgater was no longer behind me i increased speed again as i am legally entitled to. The tailgater will be legally in the wrong for a) tailgating, b) undertaking and of course any other offence caused by his idiotic driving leading to a crash.
    If you only did that once you could claim to be in the right. If you were caught doing that several times I think there are charges that could be brought against you. It's the sort of thing I can imagine the police describing along the lines of "A manner liable to cause an accident"

If there's space for the person to undertake you then there would be space for you pull over and then them overtake.

Of course if the police don't like your driving they'll probably find something wrong that they can prosecute you for. And they'll probably find something.

ReputationRep:
    I think the police would be far more interested in the person breaking the law, than the person obeying the law and the highway code to be honest. No matter how many times you were caught 'doing it' you are still obeying the law and the highway code, thus meaning nothing will stick.

The guy undertaking and acting like an idiot however...

ReputationRep:
    Most people dont flash to warn others of their presence, instead its a give way gesture which is confusing and can be deadly.

ReputationRep:
    I think most people can tell the difference between two short flashes at low speed and a massive long flash of the lights with you bombarding towards them.

ReputationRep:
    exactly. he has a choice to drive in accordance with the law or not. and its his responsibility for the consequences of that choice.

I wont cause an accident. the other driver may cause an accident due to his irresponsible driving.

just because a driver is a moron/short tempered does not excuse him causing an accident and it places NO obligation on other drivers to anticipate his moronic driving beyond normal anticipation as required in the highway code.

if you assumed every driver was an illegal driver who went across give way lines and broke every law then youd never make progress as youd have to for example stop and "give way" at every side road despite you being on the main road "just in case" someone fails to give way.

just as with "shutting the door" on drivers who fail to indicate, again i am always 100% in the clear legally as they have failed to signal their intentions and i have right of way.

just as i could legitimately flash my headlights at an oncoming car waiting to turn right across my path then ram into the side of his car. The law says a flashing headlamp means "i am here" nothing more, nothing less, despite the fact people often incorrectly use it to signal giving way to others.

the law is black and white in that sense.

there is no reasonable mitigation for breaking the RTA and highway code except in an emergency. and being in a hurry to a business meeting isnt an emergency in the eyes of the law.
    that is an incredible idiotic and irresponsible thing to say, if someone is tailgating you you dont deliberately slow down because if an accident occurs it will be BOTH your faults. If someone tailgates you and youre on a motorway in the fast lane, move over when its safe, if you are on a single lane road and you are driving well below the speed limit and have a huge queue of traffic behind you pull over when its safe, i have done this many times while out on the road in a tractor. If you are driving at the speed limit and someone is tailgating you and its a single lane just continue as normal and let the other person overtake if they wish. Road safety isnt as black and white as what is in the highway code, you have to use sense and not think "oh im legally in the right here, i can do whatever i want"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruthi-SH)
    that is an incredible idiotic and irresponsible thing to say, if someone is tailgating you you dont deliberately slow down because if an accident occurs it will be BOTH your faults. If someone tailgates you and youre on a motorway in the fast lane, move over when its safe, if you are on a single lane road and you are driving well below the speed limit and have a huge queue of traffic behind you pull over when its safe, i have done this many times while out on the road in a tractor. If you are driving at the speed limit and someone is tailgating you and its a single lane just continue as normal and let the other person overtake if they wish. Road safety isnt as black and white as what is in the highway code, you have to use sense and not think "oh im legally in the right here, i can do whatever i want"
    But alas, the law is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    But alas, the law is.
    yes, but if he decided to deliberately slow down, tailgater and him crashes and people get killed I dont think many people would give a stuff about the law in that case when lives are lost. Both people are at fault, if they hadnt slowed down deliberately to pis off the tailgater then there wouldnt be an accident.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DesignFreak)
    The thing that annoys me is when people drive with a foot of snow on top of the car and like instead of clearing the snow they just make like the tiniest hole in the windscreen.
    when he snow is falling off on the motorway people behind can't see a thing.
    The police are stopping people with snow on the roof of their cars, you get 3 points and £60 fine!!
    Just a warning to everyone

ReputationRep:
    Today I was waiting at a junction to turn right onto the major road with one car in front of me. There was a landrover turning right from the major road onto the minor road and it went in far to fast and just crashed into the curb. The thing is that the car in front of me at the junction had pulled out safely and the landrover didn't notice or look in its mirrors and just reversed out of the curb narrowly missing the pulling out car. If it had slid then it would have been right into the side of the pulling out car. Some of these 4x4 drivers have far to much confidence for the road conditions, thinking that their 4x4 will make them invincible.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.