Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

21st Fear- Paedophiles, cameras, attacks, "evil" nannies, "poisoned" meat, etc... Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoulfulBoy)
    What do you think about this irrational increase of fear? Why now we live in an avoiding-risk society?

Drive slow
    Eat healthy
    Don't smoke

Watch your nannie (she might be mistreating your child)
    He looks like that famous paedophile...(riots) innocent people attacked at being mistaken by famous paedophiles.
    London Underground has a guide about how to use escalators!!!
    Meat eating panic

Personal safety is a growing business, boy! What's going with this culture of panic?
    Fast drivers keep killing other people.
    More people keep getting obese than before.
    We are growing to understand the dangers of smoking, and of passive smoking.

ReputationRep:
    That was what Bush said before sending his soldiers due to the famous massive weapons. The type of fear I'm talking about is close to paranoid. I'm talking about mass panic. Is that "justified?" However it is a fact exploited by the media and corporations.
    Tha's fine, but I'm not Bush, and I'm not commanding soldiers to go anywhere. Keyword being 'most', as I dare say most fear occurs when people are presented with a fearful situation, such as having youths throwing eggs at their house.

You haven't given any examples of paranoia or mass panic in day-to-day life. Mass panic isn't people carrying out their daily lives - panic would be going out and buying 45 loafs of bread because of the snow, or sitting in the car sweating and shaking because of a car crash next to you. Mass panic would be that, but on a 'mass' scale.

Paranoia would be walking around Somerset in a bullet-proof vest because somebody once called you an idiot, or moving house because your neighbour had chickens you believed to be evil.

So of course, paranoia and mass panic as described above aren't justified, but TFL putting "Stand on the right" signs on escalators on the Tube network is neither of those.

Also worth noting that 'exploitation by the media' can't really be a fact, but an opinion or point of view. Besides, the media play on negativity, because emotion sells, whereas a group of Scouts gaining their DofE Gold Award probably wouldn't sell many copies of a paper if it were a front-page story. Read less red tops and you won't get nearly as much of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Transubstantiation)
    If they choose to be ignorant, then it might as well treat them as they treat me...
    Some may argue that you choose to ignore findings made by the scientific community and therefore are open to being treated similarly.

ReputationRep:
    Religion's not true but it might be useful... people stop believing in god and the devil and they seem to need to find something else to worry about.

There's a guy called Frank Furedi who's written well on the subject of increasing levels of fear in society and the resulting culture of risk aversion and low expectation.- though he seems to thing it's a government conspiracy to keep us all scared and obedient.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T.Reid)
    Some may argue that you choose to ignore findings made by the scientific community and therefore are open to being treated similarly.
    they are merely athiestic propaganda, and therefore, deserve to be ignored; evolution doesn't have a shred of truth in it, and people actually claim that creationism has no evidence, which is simply laughable.

ReputationRep:
    they are merely athiestic propaganda, and therefore, deserve to be ignored; evolution doesn't have a shred of truth in it, and people actually claim that creationism has no evidence, which is simply laughable.
    lol.

If it weren't for science, then you wouldn't be using a computer, have medicine and lots of other useful things. What do you think makes them all? Magic?

ReputationRep:

Do you know this guy?

ReputationRep:
    What do you think about this irrational increase of fear? Why now we live in an avoiding-risk society?

Drive slow
    Eat healthy
    Don't smoke
    Watch your nannie (she might be mistreating your child)
    He looks like that famous paedophile...(riots) innocent people attacked at being mistaken by famous paedophiles.
    Meat eating panic

Personal safety is a growing business, boy! What's going with this culture of panic?
    Go and read Risk Society by Ulrich Beck, and Liquid Times by Zygmunt Bauman. They explain it quite well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ussumane)

Do you know this guy?
    :teehee:

Not the best place to post when people are crying about blasphemy though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)
    :teehee:

Not the best place to post when people are crying about blasphemy though.
    Let them neg rep me if they want, freedom of speech init :cool:

BRB, praying

Have some more as a christmas gift:

Merry Christmas

ReputationRep:
    The government wants to keep us fat and docile being more concerned about the x factor ,and blowing up concerns about paedos, for instance as it distracts us from real world issues.The fact is, the stereotypical paedo male in a brown mac snatching children off the streets,while it does happen is rare. Children are far more likely to be sexually abused by members of their family and 'respectable' people who have access to these children trusted by their parents. The same goes for rapists, women are far safer on the streets than you would assume by how the media act, the rapist is more likely to be someone they are know or even in a relationship with than some random stranger.

They use the media to do this. Thats why Iam surprised many so called anarchists are in favour of the legalisation of cannabis. If there was anything that could make the majority of people too tired and lazy to do anything but accept the state it would be cannabis. There is a conspiracy theory that the reason extasy became so popular in the eighties and nineties was thatcher dealing with the hooligan problem and the volitile young working class males . So the government flooded the market with a happy pill. Then it was all about sex peace and love, for some time.

ReputationRep:
    surely if we took a lot of these safety labels off of most items, the problem would sort itself out, evolution would then kill out the stupid....

ReputationRep:
    Surely what you preach is just Christian propaganda. I don't mean propaganda in the derogatory sense - that since 20th century Fascism appeared has stigmatised it - but 'spreading the message'.
    Just because you are too narrow minded to consider the scientific argument doesn't mean everyone is, even then if you choose not to believe it.
    It is easy to laugh at the 'evidence' provided by those who believe unreservedly, 'the world is too complex to be created by chance' and all that. Come to realise that neither you nor me, nor anyone else is special we're just part of a complex chain of natural events. Denying the evidence for evolution et al is just revealing your insecurity, hoping you mean more to the creator than the common house fly. Which i am afraid to say that you don't

ReputationRep:
    I love ignorance,:rolleyes: have you ever heard about mass panic? mass hysteria? That are facts. You cannot deny them. We live in a culture of fear. Accept it or lie yourself.
    I hear Baghdad is nice this time of year...

Ungrateful sod. You think this country has problems...

ReputationRep:
    I think it's mainly a British thing, and mostly due to people not wanting to get sued.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qasman)
    I hear Baghdad is nice this time of year...

Ungrateful sod. You think this country has problems...
    I don't know a country with no problems in this world. Think about problems like fruits. You get an apple I get an orange. You get me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkWhite)
    Tha's fine, but I'm not Bush, and I'm not commanding soldiers to go anywhere. Keyword being 'most', as I dare say most fear occurs when people are presented with a fearful situation, such as having youths throwing eggs at their house.

You haven't given any examples of paranoia or mass panic in day-to-day life. Mass panic isn't people carrying out their daily lives - panic would be going out and buying 45 loafs of bread because of the snow, or sitting in the car sweating and shaking because of a car crash next to you. Mass panic would be that, but on a 'mass' scale.

Paranoia would be walking around Somerset in a bullet-proof vest because somebody once called you an idiot, or moving house because your neighbour had chickens you believed to be evil.

So of course, paranoia and mass panic as described above aren't justified, but TFL putting "Stand on the right" signs on escalators on the Tube network is neither of those.

Also worth noting that 'exploitation by the media' can't really be a fact, but an opinion or point of view. Besides, the media play on negativity, because emotion sells, whereas a group of Scouts gaining their DofE Gold Award probably wouldn't sell many copies of a paper if it were a front-page story. Read less red tops and you won't get nearly as much of it.
    British safety in schools
    Millenium Bug
    The growing business emerged to gain profit from the scared businessmen.

1997 Government report about the deadly risk of eating red meat.
    1998 British Medical Association supported the above report and went further with the meat matter
    The same year, ban of raw eggs on restaurants by L.C.C.B.F.T.S.
    The same year, NCC consider intensive farming methods risky for consumers
    The above food panic led to people to reduce the consume of meat and caused great damage to the food production industry.

How to use escalators guides
    Obviosuly, before that guides peopla have been using escalators daily and there have been no problems. This is an example of the pointless of this kind of common sense guides.

Paedophile panic

Kern County case
    McMartin preschool trial case
    Country Walk case
    Fells Acres Day Care Center case
    Bernard Baran case
    The Bronx Five case
    Praca Day Care case
    Wee Care Nursery School case
    Glendale Montessori case
    Little Rascals case
    Dale Akiki case
    Christchurch Civic Crèche case
    Martensville satanic sex scandal case
    Wenatchee sex ring case

This cases were mainly cause by an anxiety coming from a state of tension, an aspect of fear. In this way, few cases caused a domino effect and eventually to spread and increase fear.

The Innocence of a Child's Nudity case
    Love seeing as distorted depraved desires

Julia Sommerville case
    The same as the previous case

"One can never be too vigilant." slogan of an institution promoting more vigilance.

Male-woman Relationships

"Any act by a man towards a woman should be watched through the prism of abuse."

Catharine McKinnon, Harvard university professor of law, points out the difficulty of distinguishing sex of violence and pathology and nomalcy, concluding with a subtle perspective wich renders sexual intercourse as pathological and the male lover as a rapist.
    Jala Hanmer and Mary Maynard by creating the term "male power" have demanded that different male acts become methodologically linked to the pinnacle of "male power": rape.

Under these perspectives wich are widely accepted, any male is a potential rapist and any male-woman relationship should be closely watched.

Attempts of banning Trick or Treat arguing high risk to children.
    Interesting attitude of the residents who wanted to ban it when we can see that it's a custom with about 500 years of tradition and the level of fear raised in this century is seriously questioning its banning.

Different acts of terrorism and similar also help to keep this state of fear. As well as the flu and food panic.
    Criticists of this culture of risk point out how fears are replaced or updated regularly.

ReputationRep:
    Is this some kind of joke to you? do you really want atheism to extol its influence on this once noble society, and turn into a nihilistic fetid wasteland of amoral perversion?
    No I was being serious. I do wish for a revival of the Holy Catholic Church, to spread the truth of the Lord through the land as it once was known before.

I am not joking mate.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJkG.1)
    No I was being serious. I do wish for a revival of the Holy Catholic Church, to spread the truth of the Lord through the land as it once was known before.

I am not joking mate.
    GOD ORDERS YOU TO STICK TO THE TOPIC!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Funny thing that I'm negged I'm my own thread

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 20, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.