Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shannon14)
    I was thinking about getting one too! What one should I get? The wifi or wifi & 3G one?

And should I get the 16, 32 or 64 GB one?

Thanks!
    You have a smartphone already? What files will you store?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)
    You have a smartphone already? What files will you store?
    I have a Blackberry! I will store most of my pictures and notes etc! I will put my music and movies on my computer for my iPod!?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    With regards to the 3G comment, you can now get laptops/netbooks with 3G capability(the netbook I'm selling off has any way) so there is really no need in getting a tablet device

ReputationRep:
    I have a Blackberry! I will store most of my pictures and notes etc! I will put my music and movies on my computer for my iPod!?

Thanks
    Well just like a normal computer, the size depends on how much you wish to store. An iPad can also play music and movies, so perhaps a 32/64 Gig will be best.

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking about getting one for university too. I'm going to be studying English Literature so it's more for the purpose of buying and storing e-books so that my room isn't cluttered and I don't break my back carrying a million books. Is it worth the investment?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)
    Well just like a normal computer, the size depends on how much you wish to store. An iPad can also play music and movies, so perhaps a 32/64 Gig will be best.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aaargh)
    Spoiler:
    Show

Basically this with a smaller screen, half the processor power and no support for parts replacement?

I can't bring to mind any software that you can run on a PC that you can't run on a mac.
    What is your point?

Almost every program that runs on a PC will have a MAC version, well at the least the worthwhile program's anyway.

I can name a number of programs worthwhile to a web/graphics designers that are only available for OS X and not PC's. Therefore the Mac's have an upper hand when a web/graphics designer is thinking about purchasing either system.

There are a mass number of tools in web/graphic design that are MAC only - not available for Windows - including a lot of the add ons for the Adobe Collections & Suites.

Why do you think so many colleges and universities invest in Mac's for Web Design/Graphics/Multimedia courses if the cost increase is not worthwhile? it clearly is worthwhile as OS X is far superior than Windows in terms of design and software available.

Yes there is a level of creativity to include as well as your ability to create can also limit you in what you can do and design. However, Windows caps you on your capabilities immeadiately because it does not offer all of the tools OS X does, therefore you start with a disadvantage. Yes, in the long term you can come up with a very good design and creation on PC's but its a lot quicker on a Mac to get things done once you know what you are doing.

Yes you can build a Hackintosh but they are known to have a mass amount of problems that are really not worth the hassle. Whats the point in having all of your work on an unstable system for it to go balls up and then you need to reinstall an OS and copy all your work back from an external hard drive to your computer. It just takes time. I'd rather pay the extra and have a good, efficient system thats stable and always know I have AppleCare in case any serious errors occur.

Its far better to go legit with Operating Systems when work and potential profit and business is concerned. Even for a student a stable system is a must.

For a casual user at home wanting to try new things then yes go ahead and build a Hackintosh as the problems, if they occur, may not effect you that badly so its worth the gamble.

I'd much rather a Macbook Pro with 8GB Ram, 128GB SSD + all the original spec than I would have a PC equivalent to be perfectly fair.

For £1150 I can have what I just stated. I'd rather pay the extra £200, roughly, and get a legit system, with AppleCare, and all the extra tools and apps OS X supplies for web/graphics designers.

Also, there is no guarantee you are getting the parts stated in the advert you posted. Its well known that online companies often sell with cheaper parts than stated and mislead buyers.

Plus Apple are releasing updates in future releases of its Operating Systems to get rid of Hackintosh systems. Liger is supposedly going to feature an update to block them out. Yes, it probably will get figured out and a work around will be created, but whats the point in all that hassle, probably meaning you have to use another PC to get files to revalidate your Hackintosh?

This will occur when anyone with a Hackintosh tries to update, so basically, those usiing Hackintosh systems can not even update either so again more issues pop up. Who in their right mind wants a system that is possibly unstable, unupdateable, has a high possibility of being blocked as Apple will stop at nothing to do so.

Macs also keep their value longer so you're likely to get quite a bit of money back if you decide to sell it on, if its no longer needed, or you want to upgrade to a newer version, you can sell the one you already have and put the money towards a new purchase.

Now I agree, there are a LOT of idiots purchasing Macbooks/Macs for the brand and they think they look 'Cool' :facepalm:

They only look cool if they are putting the extra money they invested to good use in order to make a profit from the mass amount of features OS X offers. Any person who buys a Mac for personal use is either extremely image concious or daft. I don't buy Apple products because they look nice, I buy them purely on the tools they offer - in terms of software and so on. If I bought things because they looked nice then I'd already own an iPad - I don't as I feel they are a massive waste of money. I had one on a trial period for 2 weeks and returned it unsatisfied as it was nowhere near as good as I thought it could be. I base my decisions purely on what software is available for the business I need it for.

If I wasn't into Web Design and Graphics Editing then I would NEVER consider purchasing a Macbook Pro and thats the truth. A PC is sufficient for 95-99% of the things a Macbook does. Mac's only have that little bit extra in creative design, in my opinion.

The only reason I'll be installing Parallels on my Macbook Pro is to run AutoCAD so I can do drawings for ny fathers business to help him out, as I find it easier than him to use CAD. If I never had to use CAD to aid my fathers business then I wouldn't invest money in Parallels. Its very simple.

Seriously, If I build a Hackintosh I know I will be spending many hours trying to solve problems with the system and fighting Apples numerous attempts to break me, rather than spending those hours making something that is going to make me money.

Its a worthwhile investment for myself to get a Macintosh. That's why I will do so. I know a Mac is far superior, for the fields I have mentioned, because I used one in work and it had many more functions than my version. It was also a lower version to what my copy of Adobe Master Collection was. Its no wonder the OS X version of the AMC costs more, its because it contains more tools.

I'm not a fanboy, I hate and despise the iPad and unfortunately its taking advantage of many image conscious people out in todays world, who think they look cool because they walk into starbucks with an iPad. No you don't. It makes far more sense to save the extra money (not much) and get the entry level Macbook, which is far more superior and also less prone to screen damage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deema)
    I was thinking about getting one for university too. I'm going to be studying English Literature so it's more for the purpose of buying and storing e-books so that my room isn't cluttered and I don't break my back carrying a million books. Is it worth the investment?
    No, its one of the biggest rip offs in the technology industry.

Get an Ebook reader for e-books - Along the lines of a Kindle or Sony E-reader.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to look like a total douche, go ahead. I have seen 3 hipsters using iPads in lectures this year, I think everyone else in the lecture theater hated them.

If you want to save money by torrenting your books go for a kindle. Its much cheaper, far more practical and you won't look like a hipster sheep.

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking about getting one too! What one should I get? The wifi or wifi & 3G one?

And should I get the 16, 32 or 64 GB one?

Thanks!
    I have the 64gb and I've barely used any memory! I reckon the 32 will be more than enough to store music, films and other software such as apps etc.

I'm so glad I purchased an iPad, love them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1F2R3)
    I have the 64gb and I've barely used any memory! I reckon the 32 will be more than enough to store music, films and other software such as apps etc.

I'm so glad I purchased an iPad, love them.
    Thanks! And the Wifi or Wifi and 3G?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! And the Wifi or Wifi and 3G?
    I have WIFI only. For my next iPad I will be getting the 3G, I recommend it even if it costs a bit more.

Edit: Saying that, if you have wireless at home and won't take the iPad out with you etc then there is no point getting 3G.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spidergareth)
    If you want to look like a total douche, go ahead. I have seen 3 hipsters using iPads in lectures this year, I think everyone else in the lecture theater hated them.

If you want to save money by torrenting your books go for a kindle. Its much cheaper, far more practical and you won't look like a hipster sheep.
    Haters gonna hate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1F2R3)
    I have WIFI only. For my next iPad I will be getting the 3G, I recommend it even if it costs a bit more.

Edit: Saying that, if you have wireless at home and won't take the iPad out with you etc then there is no point getting 3G.
    Thanks... When you get your next one? Is a new one coming out soon?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks... When you get your next one? Is a new one coming out soon?
    April apparently! I would wait if I was you.

http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/tec...el_508333.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deema)
    Definitely, definitely not. I can't see how you'd justify spending around £700 just to read books. A kindle or other device would be better suited for yourself. You can also get the $100 tablets(+tax's). If it's just for reading then they're probably not too bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ocassus)
    Haters gonna hate.
    Its not just the mac thing. Its the 'look at me I can spend 500 pounds on a big touchy screen and use it in lectures. Pen and paper would do the job just fine but I will use this to show how cool I am'.

ReputationRep:
    Its not just the mac thing. Its the 'look at me I can spend 500 pounds on a big touchy screen and use it in lectures. Pen and paper would do the job just fine but I will use this to show how cool I am'.
    I use my iPhone to take down prep instead of a jotter like everybody else? Why? Because i am more likely to look back at it and i am in the habit of checking my notes periodically, adding another book/timetable to my busy schedule is hard enough and it is simply easier to integrate it into an already existing one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ocassus)
    I use my iPhone to take down prep instead of a jotter like everybody else? Why? Because i am more likely to look back at it and i am in the habit of checking my notes periodically, adding another book/timetable to my busy schedule is hard enough and it is simply easier to integrate it into an already existing one.
    Smartphone/laptop note taking is permissible, ipad note taking is not. I do not know why I feel this so very strongly, but for some reason I have much more attachment to the cause of ipad/hipster hatred than i do to any political, religious or nationalist sentiments.

Its very strange but whenever i look at some horn rimmed glasses and cardigan wearing hipster using an ipad in my lecture I feel a burning hatred unlike anything i have ever experienced before. When I felt the emotion of love for the first time, in my mind I said 'this must be what love feels like'. Likewise, when i saw the 3 hipsters for the first time I thought 'wow, this must be what deep seated prejudiced hate feels like'.

I really don't know why but I just find people who buy a very expensive device and use it to read or take notes utterly despicable. Something about the ipad as well, kindles and other tablet devices do not invite the same hatred.

ReputationRep:

That's the only reason I don't use mine more often when I'm on the train or at uni. Hopefully as tablets get more popular this problem will disappear.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.