Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    O+. Been meaning to go to donate again for a while now.

Just last time I hated it, the nurse didn't do it very well and hurt loads (went with my boyfriend's mum who is a nurse and she said no wonder it was so painful as the needle was in at a funny angle) and then the nurse kept saying that I wouldn't fill enough up in the ten minutes I was allowed. I didn't see the point of letting my blood go to waste and so clenched my hand even more and in the end I had a full bag. Then I nearly fainted, the nurse even told me maybe I shouldn't come back again because I was so difficult. I thought that was a pretty mean thing to say tbh so it has put me off going again

ReputationRep:
    AB-

ReputationRep:
    Good question :sherlock: blood type o I think :shrug: dont ask me positive or negative. I could be negative but I am not 100% positive on that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolololol)
    O+. Been meaning to go to donate again for a while now.

Just last time I hated it, the nurse didn't do it very well and hurt loads (went with my boyfriend's mum who is a nurse and she said no wonder it was so painful as the needle was in at a funny angle) and then the nurse kept saying that I wouldn't fill enough up in the ten minutes I was allowed. I didn't see the point of letting my blood go to waste and so clenched my hand even more and in the end I had a full bag. Then I nearly fainted, the nurse even told me maybe I shouldn't come back again because I was so difficult. I thought that was a pretty mean thing to say tbh so it has put me off going again
    Just go. Dont let the rudeness and incompetence of one person stop you saving a life. I am not sure for the blood service but some people who draw blood are not doctors or nurses. They are Phlebotomists. People merely certified to draw blood. :hug: Dont feel discouraged
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    O+ On the blood donor register too :proud:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemma2010)
    Isn't +ve or -ve O the rarest being recessive and all
    Not in the UK, due to luck of the draw, the O allele had a very high frequency amongst our 'ancestors' or whatever Logically, it should be, but actually according to NHS stats I got when I gave blood, B- is the rarest

And I'm A+, and I have given blood once, and have another appointment booked in Jan I'm also terrified of needles and had a near panic attack when I did it last time, it's worth it to save someones life

ReputationRep:
    I'm not saying you're fat but...
    You're blood type's Ragu

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by House of Jonny)
    Just go. Dont let the rudeness and incompetence of one person stop you saving a life. I am not sure for the blood service but some people who draw blood are not doctors or nurses. They are Phlebotomists. People merely certified to draw blood. :hug: Dont feel discouraged
    Aw thanks I know I should go soon. I know I don't like it but you're right, I could save someone's life. I'm ill at the moment so hopefully when I'm better I can find a session. I think I will go when I am back at uni, maybe I will get someone nicer at a different place.

ReputationRep:
    O+, common - but easy to share

Unfortunately I've only given blood once, because after that donation they changed protocol and so on my past 2 attempts they haven't been able to get a needle in to my tiny veins.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolololol)
    Aw thanks I know I should go soon. I know I don't like it but you're right, I could save someone's life. I'm ill at the moment so hopefully when I'm better I can find a session. I think I will go when I am back at uni, maybe I will get someone nicer at a different place.
    Hopefully. A lot of people will do a nasty thing or say a nasty thing but they dont know squat. Tell them to **** off be it real or in your mind. Because nasty people fall first. Nice people fall last.

Get better soon though. **** pep speech I know lol. Let me give you a hug: :hug:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cynthi007)
    I know what you mean. :-)

I have 0- too.

We can give blood to everybody but can only receive 0-, which is by the way the rarest type. But that is the reason for me to donate my blood. I don´t get money for it but a friendly smile, kind words and something to eat and drink for free. :-) It is just enough for me to save lives with just a few of my own blood, which I can give for free. I would engage everybody to do that. Maybe you will be in bthe situation that you will need it some time.

So I change the poll. who of you donates blood?
    AB- (my type :haughty:) is the rarest. O- is pretty rare and also very useful, about 7% ... but AB- is 1%.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aeterno)
    O-

Don't take my blood :ninja:
    Get your butt to the donation booths now. :stomp:

ReputationRep:
    I don't have blood

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemma2010)
    Isn't +ve or -ve O the rarest being recessive and all
    No, AB- is, see right at the bottom. http://www.blood.co.uk/about-blood/blood-group-basics/

ReputationRep:
    Dunno, I want to somehow :P
    But then even if I know and people want to drag me down to the blood station, I'm not going, I had sex with a man so yea.
    *Change of law needed, what if no one else is avaliable and they die, do I sue the gov? :P*

ReputationRep:
    b+

ReputationRep:
    A+

ReputationRep:
    HIV. Seriously, A-...I don't understand why people want rare blood, you know if you need it theres going to be less of it right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ms607)
    It's actually nice to see someone who gives blood that hates needles :P
    Yea, it's worth it tho my twin hates needles too but won't give blood, I can't make her tho lol. It's up to her.
    P.s. Another Northern Irish here whoop

(Original post by Cynthi007)
    I do it regularly and I am also a bit tired afterwards but that is ok. Women have to pause 3 months here before they could go to donate blood again. I will go in january. The red cross send me a chip card with a sensor. they called me whether I want to particiüate a new programme. I agreed. Why not? I
    am not skinny.

0 + rules?? why? 0- is universal helper for all. :-P
    Yea, I know wish I was a universal donor. Tho O+ rules cos it's my blood group! Lol oj And good for you for getting past your fear

ReputationRep:
    I'm donating tomorrow :P

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 31, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.