Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Joanna*)
    Crowns, veneers or white fillings. I have tiny little gappy teeth (less so since I had a brace, although they are trying to move back again) and the two teeth either side of the very front ones are even smaller- one is called a peg tooth. That one used to sit the wrong side of my bite. I also had to have my baby canines removed at the age of 17 because the adult teeth didn't grow down and push them out- one of them was lying sideways in the roof of my mouth so I had to have surgery to uncover it and put a bracket on it. So although my teeth are far from asthetically perfect (especially since I'm too much of a wuss to have the cosmetic stuff done) I am much happier with them than I was. I like the health of them- I have no fillings, and because they're so small, all my wisdom teeth have come through/are coming through fine on their own and won't need removing.

I think my orthodontist was happy as sad to see the back of me, all at the same time. I met him when I was 11 and saw him for the last time when I was nearly 24.
    :eek: Googled the images and a peg tooth is EXACTLY what I have!

I remember the dentist mentioned me getting veneers when he was telling me he was referring me to the orthodontist, but nothing ever happened with regards to them. It's probably really expensive now and it's not that bad so I'll just live with it.

ReputationRep:
    My granny used to tell me if you had a gap in your front teeth, you would be rich one day...I have no gaps

ReputationRep:
    I don't like my teeth right now because i have braces.
    Hopefully they turn out okay.

ReputationRep:
    I like my teeth a whole lot more than I used to! I suffered with various forms of braces for four years and my teeth are lovely and straight and even now. My front two are still a bit bigger than the rest and my teeth don't meet up all the way around- the top ones at the front are still in front of the bottom ones- but I'm still happy with them.

ReputationRep:
    I cracked some of my front teeth when I had a cycling accident a year ago, they're not terrible, but I hate my teeth.

ReputationRep:
    I have a gummy smile and white fluorosis but I do love my teeth

ReputationRep:
    Completely hate my teeth, especially what they've made me go through:
    - had braces for two years, only for my wisdom teeth to start coming in and ruin everything. So gonna have to get braces again for my lower teeth

-excruciating experience with wisdom tooth removed ( and still have two more to go)

- i don't have any gaps but i only have 25 teeth as opposed to the adult number of teeth you are supposed to have.

- only good thing is that they're pretty white and i only have 1 filling, which is a lot less than most people.

ReputationRep:
    Perfectly white, big Hollywood teeth are terrifying and not nice imo. :no: My teeth are OK and white, never had braces, but not perfect. I don't really care about teeth as long as they're healthy!

Yes thanks. Do you like my teeth?

ReputationRep:
      My teeth are pretty poor. My two front teeth are, for want of a better word, goofy, but I refused braces years ago because I couldn't stand the dentist, so I wanted to limit to the time I spent there.

I imagine it would now cost a lot to get them "fixed" so I won't be doing that anytime soon. I guess I don't like them all that much, but, hey, they are mine and I've got to live with them. I read "The Nose" by Akutagawa Ryunosuke to temper any feelings of regret. A story I would recommend to anyone who is desperate to look more "conventional"/better.

ReputationRep:
      nah i turned down getting braces a long time ago can't be bothered now

ReputationRep:
      They're okay, although I'm pretty sure they will fall out in a few years if I carry on eating all the sugary goodness :sogood:

ReputationRep:
      I hate my teeth. My canines are slighly elevated and I have an underbite

ReputationRep:
      I cracked my front tooth while getting out of a swimming pool when I was younger. It's not bad enough to need a cap, but still noticeable.

And they're nowhere near as white as I'd like. But oh well :nopity:

ReputationRep:
      I had braces for 2 and a half years and they were so so worth it

I used to hate my smile so much but now I can't stop!

They're pretty white as well but thats because I don't really indulge in sugary sweets and fizzy drinks.

Although I do have the odd fanta fruit twist .. :sogood:

ReputationRep:
      Yeah.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by LauriC)
      Yes, even though my teeth are crooked. I had an overbite which took 2 years of wearing a brace at night to correct, by which point I was 16. I was then told that if I wanted to have them straightened as well, because it was too late, I would need them for 4 years at least. There was no way I was going to have them untill I was 20.

It's not that I have anything against wearing braces other than the discomfort, but I personally had no problem with my teeth and them being crooked never worried be before in my life and suddently all these people were telling me to have them fixed. So I said I wouldn't, just to make a point They're also chipped quite a bit from injuries when I was little lol They're not like horrible though, they're not perfect but they're not gross. I have no fillings
      I had an overbite too which i got fixed, then i had to wear braces for 5 years. I got them at the end of year 5 and had them until not long before my prom in year 11.
      But it was so frigging worth it. My dentist in devon was rubbish and didn't think anything was wrong with my teeth, then as soon as i moved house, thus dentist, they put me at the top of the orthodontist waiting list.

Fair enough though if you are happy with yours, it was alot of hassle and pain!

ReputationRep:
      They're ****ing terrible.

Cba to be self conscious though.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Anonymous)
      I really hate my teeth- I have a gap between my two front teeth so I never smile, and often cover my mouth whn I laugh..
      I really want to get braces but my mum says it's not 'necessary', and I don't know how to persuade her to let me get them (I'm fifteen so it would free).

Does it turn you off when a girl has a gap between her teeth?
      Any advice? Do you like your teeth?
      It won't be free if the rest of your mouth is in the right place. I have really straight teeth, b asked for braces from the age of 13, they told me every time "its for a cosmetic reason, you'll have to pay".

I've grown to get used to it and am hoping that when my wisdom teeth grow through it'll push the gap closed or make it smaller.

ReputationRep:
      Ive got stupid fangs, so no I dont like them :/

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 28, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.