Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does anyone like the Hollister shops? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hollister is pretty popular here in the US, and I generally stay away from what the current trends are for everyone. That's the same reason why you will never see me wearing clothes from Aeropostale, American Eagle, Abercrombie, among the likes. Here in South Carolina, everyone has at least one thing from the stores I've mentioned. I get my clothes from expensive places (7 For All Mankind, Burberry, Theory, Vince, Dolce & Gabbana) or trendy and urban places (Urban Outfitters, American Apparel, Zara, H&M, among others).

The smell in Hollister is unbearable. It's like someone dumped a ****load of Axe in there. The designs of their clothes are something I could careless about. I don't wear clothing with the logo all over it.

At my school, wearing Hollister and similar stuff somehow makes you "stylish". Hilarious.

ReputationRep:
    Ha I didn't realise the bag craze in schools was widespread, whenever I go somewhere like A&F I always save the bag for my little sister cos I know she loves that sort of thing.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's too bad.
    Dunno why you're so cut up about it. You go in, find what you want, buy it and walk out. It's a bit different, that's all.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone at my school uses the carrier bags for PE kits, lunches, you name it.

ReputationRep:
    I find it funny how the new 'cool' thing is to hate on Hollister and A&F. If you really hate them, don't buy their stuff!

Managed to get one of the super-cosy Hollister coats on Ebay and it's the warmest thing ever. Especially as the furry hood is massive and makes me look like an anti-social eskimo..saves my life trekking to uni on freezing mornings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -aimz)
    The girls who work there have to be really attractive right? I know two girls who work there :rolleyes:
    I walked in once and I was freaked out, all the girls are the same height, bodytype, build, hair style and colour. It was like....gives you an idea of what market they aim to serve.

They all had the same *****y attitude towards me, I think it was cause I'm fat and not really white.

ReputationRep:
    I've never been to Hollister (I walked past it the other day and there was QUEUE? A queue for a shop?!) but if its anything like Abercrombie and Fitch which I decided to investigate once many years ago - I know what you mean. The whole place was dark and I felt really judged by all the annoying assistants.

To be honest, you can't really knock 'em. They've created a brand that is incredibly successful by having some mystical quality to attract teenagers with a herd mentality. I guess its just branding. I have no idea how they managed it though :/

ReputationRep:
    I like Hollister for jumpers, but I try and only shop at their outlets. It's the same stuff but cheaper. It's funny because Hollister is marketed as the California version of A&F, but I live in California and no one dresses like that regularly.

ReputationRep:
    i like hollister clothes, i just hate the actual stuuf. i'd buy online if they didn't ship their products from the US so it costs like £20 P&P.

what i don't like is how judgy the people are, like the fakeness and they just look at you like "what are YOU doing in THIS shop?" and it's not like i feel bad about myself or am insecure or think they're better (looking) than me... they just all have this kind of egotistical arrogant vibe coming off them.

ReputationRep:
    There 's one in my local mall. I actually applied there for a job last year, so Im getting a kick out of these replies

They do group interviews if that tells you anything. And on the day of mine, there were two other girls as well and I am sure I was the oldest one among them at 35. And both of the other girls were probably both younger and more youthful looking and fresh then I percieve myself to be.

Needless to say I did not get a call back despite what I felt were good credentials and retail experience. But no problem I have a decent job now

The "California Surf" image they try to display does seem a little limited. And I agree the stores do seem like they would be horrible to work at. The ones here in the US are dimly lit (so its hard to read tags) and they play the music way too loud. heaven forbid a customer actually wanted to ask something right?:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    No. Poor quality, scruffy designs and overpriced

ReputationRep:
    Hollister makes my brodar explode.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zebracolors)
    There 's one in my local mall. I actually applied there for a job last year, so Im getting a kick out of these replies

They do group interviews if that tells you anything. And on the day of mine, there were two other girls as well and I am sure I was the oldest one among them at 35. And both of the other girls were probably both younger and more youthful looking and fresh then I percieve myself to be.

Needless to say I did not get a call back despite what I felt were good credentials and retail experience. But no problem I have a decent job now

The "California Surf" image they try to display does seem a little limited. And I agree the stores do seem like they would be horrible to work at. The ones here in the US are dimly lit (so its hard to read tags) and they play the music way too loud. heaven forbid a customer actually wanted to ask something right?:rolleyes:
    but why does a 35 woman want a job in hollister? out of curiosity.

and the shops. i love them.

ReputationRep:
    At the time I really just needed to find work. And I have seen some ok looking clothes in there sometimes, but never anything I just can't do without.

ReputationRep:
    I had seen the checked shirts online and thought I would have a look in the shop but hated it. I couldn't see the clothes, the sizes, or the colours. I understand that they are trying to make a different shopping experience which is good in theory, but not at the expense of people actually being able to buy things. Never again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miyasophie)
    Hahaha, had a woman come in the other day just to get a bag for her daughter's lunch.

So glad I finished school before this craze hit.
    No way!! I can't believe someone would actually do that :eek:

ReputationRep:
    i feel awkward when shopping there, staff just walk around doing nothing. Just seems like there staring at you :/

ReputationRep:
    I've only been in there once or twice with other people. I don't even mind the clothes I just hate the whole feel of the shop, with the darkness and the staff standing at the door. I'd be too intimidated to actually buy anything!

ReputationRep:
    LOL I totally agree with the banging headache and all. The smell really gets to me and the darkness is annoying cos you can barely see anything. BUT I think it's quite a cool experience and it's different to other stores (apart from abercrombie of course)
    Plus, I think it is targeted to the young gen, who love clubbing etc so the dark and the music sort of add to that even though it's kinda annoying after 2 mins. Also, must they all make you feel so ugly in there and they are so patronizing with their fake smiles lol! I do love hollister, abercrombie and also jack wills

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mana_C)
    LOL I totally agree with the banging headache and all. The smell really gets to me and the darkness is annoying cos you can barely see anything. BUT I think it's quite a cool experience and it's different to other stores (apart from abercrombie of course)
    Plus, I think it is targeted to the young gen, who love clubbing etc so the dark and the music sort of add to that even though it's kinda annoying after 2 mins. Also, must they all make you feel so ugly in there and they are so patronizing with their fake smiles lol! I do love hollister, abercrombie and also jack wills
    I really like Hollister clothing too....experience is a bit quirky and loud but completely original. What I find intriguing is how so many people buy from Abercrombie- there is only one store in the country so do you just buy online? The postage costs are expensive, as are some of their clothes which appear to be of similar quality to Hollister but double the price. Still nice stuff.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.