Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone else not bothered about learning to drive? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've passed and believe me, it's severely overrated. The novelty of driving around on your own wears off after about 5 or so trips and it quickly becomes a chore. I can't stand driving to be honest but I guess that's just because I've never been interested in cars or machinery like most other men.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    ehhhh, i'm not too fussed.

my parents have never drived at all, so i've never had the experience of being able to jump in a car and go places, so i've just grown up taking public transport everywhere, so now its just the norm for me, especially living in london, where there is a ridiculous amount of public transport and the roads are always congested, now i can't actually think of anywhere i'd need a car to get to.

my feelings might change when i grow up, and i dunno, get a job in a hospital in the middle of nowhere where there is no transport (which is kinda unlikely), but for now, i dont see the point in spending a heap of money on something i dont need and will hardly use.

plus, i have my bike!

ReputationRep:
    Even if you don't actually need to drive, I think it's better to get it out of the way earlier rather than later. Car insurance is often cheaper if you've had your license for a long time, even if you haven't been driving during that time. Slowly but surely, the tests are getting more stringent. And I think it's probably easier to learn something new while you're still young - as the saying goes, "You can't teach an old dog new tricks". Everyone I know who's tried to learn while they're older have had a lot of serious trouble with it.

Those are the main reasons I learnt as soon as I could - I had/have no real need for a car (but there's a good chance I will in future). Having said that, having my own car is really convenient

ReputationRep:
    I want to start driving after my Jan exams, I have been saving up for the lessons with my part-time job. I want to pass my driving around summer holidays. I would like to get it done with driving while I am young

ReputationRep:
    no i just cba anymore, id rather spend £500 on a holiday with a group of friends

ReputationRep:
    I started learning to drive the day after my 17th birthday purely to get it out of the way. I hated the actual learning process and always got really anxious about my driving lessons but I'm so glad I did it when I did because the thought of doing it now doesn't appeal. After passing my test at 17 I didn't buy my own car til I was 22 though I liked knowing that I could drive if I wanted to. Having said that even now driving isn't a great passion of mine but it comes in very handy.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 20 and only got my provisional done, I had a few lessons but can't be arsed i get lifts everywhere so why waste my time and money lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Man-in-the-Moon)
    Every single one of my friends seems to have either passed their driving test or are learning to drive and I feel like I'm the only person who's not bothering. My 17th birthday was almost a year ago, and when I finally got my provisional and started driving with my dad at Easter it just didn't feel like all that everyone was making it out to be. I just don't feel like I want or need to learn to drive. I can get buses or lifts to whereever I need to go, it costs lots of money every month which I simply wouldn't want to spend, and at Uni I wouldn't be able to afford a car anyway. People who've learnt to drive can brag on about having the freedom to go whereever they want whenever they want, but I actually feel that I'm better off not wasting my time learning to drive. Please tell me there's more than just a few people who feel this way, I can't think of one person who I've spoken to at school who isn't learning to drive!
    I thought I was the only one! I was probably the first in my year to get a provisional and yet haven't even had one lesson. I just don't see the craze about it lol not that I haven't had the chance or the money. Glad I am not the only one

ReputationRep:
    it took me 3 years to even get the courage to learn to drive.

I had my provisional when I was 17 but it didnt appeal to me to learn until 7 months ago...and in those 7 months ive took lessons and passed my test first time.

I do regret now not learning when i was 17.

im 20 now.

i dont have my own car but im insured on my mums ford zetec. its only £350 a year for me.

dreading the time when i will have my own car.tax it, mot it,and fill it up with petrol myself.....

i havent caught the bus since i passed 2 weeks ago and i love it!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.