Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_haired_wizard)
    It's so refreshing that you've posted this and agreed with me - afterall, it is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. I do know some Liverpool fans who agree with my perspective on Benitez but it's truly perplexing that so many Liverpool fans continue to pine after him and wish him to return as their manager.

I've repped you, as you may have gathered, because it's about ****ing time a Liverpool fan on here has been absolutely spot on with their opinion. You're a proper fan who clearly can look at things objectively and sensibly, take a step back and truly reflect on what is going on...

You're a credit to the club.
    thank you, man. The guy talks truuth

ReputationRep:
    Funny how you ignored the rest of my statement. You do realise that Purslow was responsible, among others in getting rid of the owners, right? You do realise that Purslow was in court, fighting for LFC against the owners, right? That's what I thought.
    Purslow is a self serving, arrogant, football manager playing ****. He was the 3rd cancer on this club and the day he is removed from the club forever will be a joyous occasion. His tenure at the club has been an absolute disaster and he has had an unprecedented amount of influence at the club which has been totally poisonous. His influence on transfers, his influence on the players, his influence on Rafa's attempted restructure of the youth system, his influence in removing Rafa, his influence in rejecting Deschamps and Pellegrini and appointing Hodgson and his constant leaks to the media spouting false information and orchestrating a slur campaign against Benitez. He has no football experience whatsoever. The club will never go forward until he is removed from his position as advisor or whatever the **** he is. Let me repeat, he has been a poison on this football club.

If you can't acknowledge that then you don't know what you're talking about. Simple as.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cable)
    Thankfully, there are true LFC fans like me,
    What about the hundreds of lads that go home and away every week, who'd have him back in an instant? Not true fans?

(Original post by Cable)
    Funny how you ignored the rest of my statement. You do realise that Purslow was responsible, among others in getting rid of the owners, right? You do realise that Purslow was in court, fighting for LFC against the owners, right? That's what I thought.
    Purslow did just as much as Ian Ayre, in that he voted yes. Hardly an achievement.

Purslow was brought in, by his own admission, to secure £100m before March. By his own admission, if he didn't do that he had failed. Somehow, he managed to put himself in a position where he was making the day to day decisions of the football club, purslow is a banker not a football man.

He was on a power trip playing real life football manager, as evident by him presenting roy with a list of players he thought should be sold as if he was some top scout. Evidently NESV felt the same, which is why they accepted his resignation and refused ayres.
    (Original post by Cable)
    Please if you are going to bother replying to my posts, please read my points carefully. I said the LFC board were the one REALLY in the fight. So that means they were the ones in court, fighting against the owners, which I stated in my post. All the other fans did was support the fight. They didn't ACTUALLY defeat the owners in court, as they weren't members of the LFC board. Case closed.
    Who pressured the owners into putting the club up for sale? It was, by Hicks own admission, the pressure from various 'internet terrorists' which forced his hand.
    (Original post by Cable)
    ell to support the LFC board against the owners but that's it. Nothing more. Christian Purslow and others ACTUALLY won the fight in the court. Hope you understand that CLEARLY. Night night, son. Looking forward to our next game. Come on LFC.
    Your a proper condesending beaut. See you at united away?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheFlyingDutchman)
    What I meant was united legends e.g. Sir Bobby Charlton will play a role in selection.
    Erm, if Bobby Charlton were to have a say in a replacement for Alex Ferguson, wouldn't that be because he's on the board of directors rather than just being a "United legend"? :confused: Sorry, but your statement just seems really odd even with the deceased Matt Busby being omitted from it. Source for this, please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    Anyone who is remotely surprised by this know nothing about football, Benitez is a **** manager. The fact he won the CL means nothing, Liverpool where a good club capable of getting deep into the competition without a top quality manager, taking them the extra few step was luck and teams efforts not managerial brilliance. He was never a replacement for the special one.
    Are you ****ing serious? That is such a retarded statement. The fact that he won the Champions League means nothing? Are you seriously going to dismiss all his other achievements as a manager? Do you know **** all about football?

Benitez in his time here was more successful than Wenger in the same period...facht.

Please think before you start making such stupid statements. This kind of stuff is sig-worthy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_haired_wizard)
    It's so refreshing that you've posted this and agreed with me - afterall, it is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. I do know some Liverpool fans who agree with my perspective on Benitez but it's truly perplexing that so many Liverpool fans continue to pine after him and wish him to return as their manager.

I've repped you, as you may have gathered, because it's about ****ing time a Liverpool fan on here has been absolutely spot on with their opinion. You're a proper fan who clearly can look at things objectively and sensibly, take a step back and truly reflect on what is going on...

You're a credit to the club.
    WhW spouting crap, were have I seen this before :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cable)
    Thanks for the reply and I've repped you also.
    Believe me mate, it's not a good thing when a Liverpool hating Manc agrees with you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    Are you ****ing serious? That is such a retarded statement. The fact that he won the Champions League means nothing? Are you seriously going to dismiss all his other achievements as a manager? Do you know **** all about football?

Benitez in his time here was more successful than Wenger in the same period...facht.

Please think before you start making such stupid statements. This kind of stuff is sig-worthy.
    You understand the the difference between is and was? Gary Neville was a good player. Bentitez's recent history suggets he is a **** manager, regardless of his time in Spain.

The CL is an achievement, but the real reason it is so respected is because it is so hard to progress to the final rounds and also maintain a squad capable of a top league position. The season he won the CL liverpool didn't finish in a CL qualifying position and were only handed one thanks to their rivals success, losing to Man United and Chelsea twice in the league and breaking even 1-1 with Arsenal. Even in the CL liverpool didn't top their group and only went through on GD, thanks to, need anyone even say, Gerrard, then managed to beat Bayern Leverkusen in the first knockout phase, after that there are 3 good teams. I don't consider that brilliant management, when combined with a 5th place league finish. 3 okay wins, good on Rafa. Chelsea and Juventus both won their leagues, so their squads can be forgiven for being a little more stretched. The league is the most important thing, always. Any cup competition is an achievement but only when combined with a good league finish can you boast of good management. Pompey reached the FA cup final in the same year that they finished last in the league, there is no way you could compare them and Chelsea that season. You can't live on the CL win forever and everything he has done since that season and arguably the following one have suggested there was a large element of luck in that too.

As for Wenger, he is good manager, he plays good attractive football, but he produces his squads on a shoestring. He also consistently finishes behind Man U and Chelsea, who both spend the money required to have stronger squads. I'm sure it wouldn't take him long to amass some silverware on a Mancini budget. Benitez has more silverware, but IMO Wenger has been more successful.

It's official. Leonardo is Inter's new coach.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by doggyfizzel)
      You understand the the difference between is and was? Gary Neville was a good player. Bentitez's recent history suggets he is a **** manager, regardless of his time in Spain.
      Just two seasons ago he led us to one of our best finishes in the Premier league in years, the closest we've come to winning a title in a long time. Or is that not recent enough for you?

The CL is an achievement, but the real reason it is so respected is because it is so hard to progress to the final rounds and also maintain a squad capable of a top league position. The season he won the CL liverpool didn't finish in a CL qualifying position and were only handed one thanks to their rivals success, losing to Man United and Chelsea twice in the league and breaking even 1-1 with Arsenal. Even in the CL liverpool didn't top their group and only went through on GD, thanks to, need anyone even say, Gerrard, then managed to beat Bayern Leverkusen in the first knockout phase, after that there are 3 good teams. I don't consider that brilliant management, when combined with a 5th place league finish. 3 okay wins, good on Rafa. Chelsea and Juventus both won their leagues, so their squads can be forgiven for being a little more stretched. The league is the most important thing, always. Any cup competition is an achievement but only when combined with a good league finish can you boast of good management. Pompey reached the FA cup final in the same year that they finished last in the league, there is no way you could compare them and Chelsea that season. You can't live on the CL win forever and everything he has done since that season and arguably the following one have suggested there was a large element of luck in that too.
      Any cup win needs an element of luck.

I don't understand the bolded bit, are you basically trying to say that leading us to a FA Cup win, another Champions League final, our best league performance in years and some amazing footballing nights was mainly down to luck, and nothing to do with the fact that Benitez was a decent manager?

Did you see our squad when Benitez took over? With that team do you think it was very likely that you could win the biggest trophy in club football and finish in the top four with a manager who was in his first season in England? The fact that you're overlooking an achievement as big as the Champions League just because we finished fifth is ridiculously ignorant.

As for Wenger, he is good manager, he plays good attractive football, but he produces his squads on a shoestring. He also consistently finishes behind Man U and Chelsea, who both spend the money required to have stronger squads. I'm sure it wouldn't take him long to amass some silverware on a Mancini budget. Benitez has more silverware, but IMO Wenger has been more successful.
      How can you possibly argue that Wenger was more successful than Benitez in that period? He didn't win anything!

ReputationRep:
      This thread has become an absolute shambles. A mod needs to be brought in to close it before any other fools embarass themselves with their Sky style 'analysis'.

Even if I was so drunk I was lying upside down trying to drink my own piss I would make more sense than the half the fools in this thread.

ReputationRep:
      Please, for the love of god, stop making this into a debate about his time at Liverpool. He was not sacked from Liverpool this time, he was sacked from Inter. Discuss the merits of that, not his time at Liverpool which, without a shadow of a doubt, played little part in Moratti's decision to part ways with Rafa.

ReputationRep:
      Rafa should have been sacked from Inter but he also should not have taken the job in the first place :yep:

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
    Updated: December 24, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.