Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Student suing Kings college Medical school for racial discrimination Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gizmo!)
    if modesty was medicine there'd be no sick people in clarkey's hospital, its got to be said.

how remotely does this affect the view of a few racist students who might not even have voted?

did the black president give the few racist students an anti-racist speech and convert them all in an all too evangelical sweeping winover handclapping praise the lord chorus?

well no, he didnt, but just clarifying that theres not actual point in your point. cheers.
    The point isn't that there are no racist students but that clearly the majority are not, it isn't institutionalised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    Not sure what race you are, but just because you don't see it doesn't mean it's not there. I also think a comment like 'pulling the race card is a bad version of racism itself' is really quite stupid since a) what's a good version of racism and b) it's only bad if there's no racism. Exchange the fashionable term 'pulling the race card' with 'complaining about racial discrimination' and see how it sounds then.

Also, just because people don't complain and there are loads of people to complain doesn't mean there's nothing to complain about. You can't say there was no racial discrimination before Rosa Parks decided to sit where she wanted, nor would you say (I hope) that she should have respected her opportunity to be on the bus on the first place and not complained/sue.

(also, just pointing out that I'm kind of playing devil's advocate here. I initially came here to ask (sarcastically) if she's the only non-White person on the course, but decided to argue against you instead :top:)
    Of course it's possible that it's there, and to Gizmo - yes I am aware of the history of racism between blacks/asians (I live in Southwark!), and there is a strong community of both these ethnic groups at Guy's. Yes, there is a large proportion of black people on the EMDP programme, but they haven't all been failed.

Anyway, it's very difficult to have a useful opinion as I do not know the girl or the others involved - I'm just making the point that I certainly don't believe it to be a racist institution (a very different scenario to those attacks on an individual level).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    The point isn't that there are no racist students but that clearly the majority are not, it isn't institutionalised.

using the term institutionalised treads around the issue of racism in individual people. it will never be all the members of the institution that are racist. So to assume that the OP thinks KCL is racist is really missing her point.

it will always be a minority who are racist in not just kings but every uni you could mention, so theres no real argument in trying to say it isnt a majority when everyone knows thats the norm everywhere.

i feel a bit odd pointing that out when its common knowledge.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.