Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Labour is making a tit of itself in opposition Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boobies.)
    They do, yes, but its hardly Thatcher again, is it? They've not been 'ultra right wing' at all really.
    I can't really see much to differentiate them from Thatcher. In fact they are cutting services with more zeal then Thatcher ever did.

ReputationRep:
    A good reason to focus on the fact the coalition is Tory-dominated is because, although the main shed of votes from the Lib Dems is to Labour, the Tories represent the main electoral threat (even moreso now pretty much nobody supports the Lib Dems).

So given the bad press the Lib Dems have been getting for months solid since the coalition began, it's probably a good idea for Ed to point out that this is a mainly Conservative government.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boobies.)
    They do, yes, but its hardly Thatcher again, is it? They've not been 'ultra right wing' at all really.
    sorry? did I get really drunk, black out and write a load of stuff that I dont remember, because you are the second person to quote me on this thread, refuting claims that I never made!?!?!

Look at OP then look at my quote, he made some comment about the claims of Conservatives being very right wing and that the coalition is dominate by them. Now my post makes no reference of the far right part of his post?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamyourspiritfrombeyondth)
    I can't really see much to differentiate them from Thatcher. In fact they are cutting services with more zeal then Thatcher ever did.
    Alistair Darling said before the election that whoever won was going to have to cut and that it have to be worse than Thatcher. Gordon Brown couldn't even bring himself to say the word 'cut'! At least Darling was living in the real world.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8587877.stm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    Alistair Darling said before the election that whoever won was going to have to cut and that it have to be worse than Thatcher. Gordon Brown couldn't even bring himself to say the word 'cut'! At least Darling was living in the real world.

This.

For Labour to cry wolf when they created this mess is despicable. If anything, a question of morals needs to be placed over Labour's attitudes.

Our glorious leader Call me Dave, has said "cuts" aren't a nice thing, he understands the pain of the cuts as a result. These cuts have to be done.

As noted comically on the BBC once, if your in debt, your not going to turn around and say we are going to stop buying PG tips but we are going on holiday.
    It does not make sense. How will a holidays sort the debt?

You have to make savings. These savings will be used to pay off the debt.

It is a very different time.

Next year, we will see more and more private business and ventures encouraged by this government.

Things are improving but slowly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam_zed)
    omdz david "hitler" cameron zmg

seriously though, surely you cant argue too much with the claim that the Conservatives dominate the coalition?
    No, it is true, they do.

The issue is that Labour are waving aside the Liberal Democrats as 'props' or 'puppets' so they can go on and attack the Conservatives, as if we had a Conservative government and not a Coalition.

Because that's a lot easier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)

I was merely refuting the claim that this government was nothing like Thatcher's. And I think that it's not the fact that cuts have to be made that is causing resentment, it's the unfair distribution of them. 'We're all in it together' haha, yeah right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unvincibledudeman)
    Conversely, the coalition is making a tit of itself in government.
    So that begs the question, who is the bigger tit?
    At least Labour seem to be able to organise themselves, and be tits together. The coalition seems to be doing a good impression of a headless chicken.

All politicians are tits. That's how they work.
    They're like tits: but less responsive, and more difficult to milk.

[/terrible attempt at ???]

Labour have managed to organise themselves under two short and succinct statements:

"The Conservatives are so unfair!"

and

"The Coalition is a lie!"

This is not hard to do. Running a country during a global recession, where your policy inevitable involves disappointing certain interests, is rather harder, and Labour have largely failed to offer focused criticism or a distinct alternative.

PS: I am actually rather left-wing, though I think I may be giving the opposite impression.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deadly Lightshade)
    They're like tits: but less responsive, and more difficult to milk.

[/terrible attempt at ???]

Labour have managed to organise themselves under two short and succinct statements:

"The Conservatives are so unfair!"

and

"The Coalition is a lie!"

This is not hard to do. Running a country during a global recession, where your policy inevitable involves disappointing certain interests, is rather harder, and Labour have largely failed to offer focused criticism or a distinct alternative.

PS: I am actually rather left-wing, though I think I may be giving the opposite impression.
    To be honest, it more or less the same tactic deployed by the conservatives pre-coalition. All you do is criticise every single move the government makes and jump onto a bandwagon of populism. Cameron never offered a real alternative to Brown. The only real difference between them during the election was that Cameron was going to cut and deal out the damage immediately, and Brown was going to spread it out over a longer period.

My main issues with the coalition are:
    1) they are using completely wrong tactics to tackle the deficit and could very well end up doing more harm than good (maybe our record borrowings in November tell us that?)
    2) they are lying backstabbing *******s (the lib dems at least. The tories have stuck to their election promises. The lib dems have forgotten what "democracy" means)
    3) They don't give a crap about the little people (working classes) (why is it places like Preston and Liverpool are facing the maximum cuts, but Buckinghamshire and Windsor aren't really facing any?)

I'm probably giving the impression that I'm a Labour fan, which I am not. Although to be honest, I will probably vote labour the next time it comes to voting, mainly because the conservatives don't represent my views, and the lib dems are spineless and lie in their election manifestos. Labour is the lesser evil here.

The only good that could possibly come out of this is the alternative vote system. A step closer to having a democratic system where the people are actually represented.

All politicians are twatbags.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Male_Melons)
    This.
    For Labour to cry wolf when they created this mess is despicable. If anything, a question of morals needs to be placed over Labour's attitudes.
    And for the government to keep saying "it was labour's fault" is also despicable.
    If the government haven't noticed, there has been a global financial crisis. No matter who had been in government got the last 13 years we'd be in a mess.

(Original post by im so academic)
    amount of NEETs
    Which the government is going to make worse, not better.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Tbh though a healthy opposition keeps the government on its toes which is needed. Unfortuntatly Labour cannot even be described as opposition. They are just acting like a child putting its hands over its ears and screaming NO NO NO

ReputationRep:
    Teveth will be having words, wait where is he?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.