Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Argument with girlfriend - she slapped me. Watch

ReputationRep:
    You have a hotel for 3 nights in Paris.

I know what I would do...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KayK)
    ****ing feminists dude. Feminism must die.
    Is that sarcasm?

Violence is never acceptable. From man or woman. Even if it's a slap.
    To me feminism is just "equal rights for both sexes". Not "man hating bra burning raging lesbian". Which is the common stereotype. It has become almost a curse word, which I find sad.

ReputationRep:
    Can you just take me instead? I won't slap you, promise

ReputationRep:
    The ULTIMATE burn would be to take that friend of hers to paris as your birthday gift to her :awesome:

that would be epic :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luceria)
    Is that sarcasm?

Violence is never acceptable. From man or woman. Even if it's a slap.
    To me feminism is just "equal rights for both sexes". Not "man hating bra burning raging lesbian". Which is the common stereotype. It has become almost a curse word, which I find sad.
    Sarcasm? yes and no.

Of course i don't believe women should be hit, not even out of anger, likewise, i don't believe men should be hit either.

Feminism used to be about equal rights, but today? Today is has nothing to do with that, their protests are sexist and having a go at men. We need EQUALITY, i know so much 'feminists' who generalize and make men feel like **** just because they have a bad relationship.

The problem is, is the mentality of society won't conform with the idea of equality, it's always about blaming rather than solving. That's impractical and from hindsight we learn that the issues grew bigger when humans decided to ignore them and decided to view the world from their ignorant perspective.

The suffragists and suffragettes fought for the freedom of women, not the people who cry and 'hate' men.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NeonSkies)
    Trip to Paris with boyfriend > friend's birthday party.
    This is true, but I got a feeling that there is something more behind all of this. We don't know if they have been fighting a lot before all of this? I mean, if you fight a lot I understand why someone wouldn't feel good about a romantic trip to Paris. And if there is a lot of anger and name calling before this, it may be the reason why she got violent. I'm not saying that it's okay to slap, but it may not only be that the girl got mad about nothing.

But if she really is selfish or violent (even mentally), you should consider this relationship again. I have been slapped by guys and it's not that bad actually. I wouldn't compare it to hitting someone. But I don't think that it's okay, just talk about it with her after you have had a nice trip with your mate. Say that it's not okay and you don't want to be treated like that. There are two persons in a relationship so both have to work as hard for it. So if you are trying your best and she isn't, then I think you should break up.

Btw how many times have guys left their gfs alone with their plans because they had a night out with guys or they were playing cod with friends? Everytime when I see a thread like this guys comment "well, women should understand that guys need their own space and freedom, dump that *****" :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    You'll get over it, all lads do. Don't cancel and just take a female friend with you and see how she likes it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boobies.)
    Wow, I thought girls slapping people was alot more common than it is then. I don't condone it, I don't do it, but.. it happens, seems to happen a lot actually. which is why i didn't really know why he was that suprised. But i take my post back, Sorry.
    Like i say, if OP's account of what happened is true, then she is in wrong. But it just doesn't seem totally true at all.
    Maybe in soaps/films?

If there has been no prior physical violence/assault surely the slap is unacceptable and a form of harrassment itself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My girlfriend came over this afternoon, thought we'd have a nice day in...until she casually tells me that she's effectively cancelling the plans we'd already made because it's her friends birthday party.

I have booked a trip to paris to stay there for 3 nights and she knows about this plan for a month now. I'm covering all the expenses, it's all coming out of my wallet. Not only am I really disappointed that she's choosing a friend's birthday party over spending a weekend away with me (although I wouldn't mind IF my plan was flexible, which it isn't because it's booked so it has to be cancelled).

She told me I can cancel the bookings, which is true...but then I'm charged a damn cancellation fee from the hotel which is a lot of money, WASTED money! Naturally I got really angry about this and I hated that she's not even considering 1. my feelings and 2. my money!

We started arguing a lot and had a heated exchange and I said "piss off to your friend then I can't stand the sight of you" which I agree was very rude of me but she slapped me across the face for it!!!

I was just shocked and froze, never expected her to do this and she never has in all the time we've been together (it's a long relationship). I was SO angry I was just fuming and I think she got scared just from the look on my face, so I told her to leave before this gets from bad to worse.

She kept ringing and texting after but I switched the phone off and went to sleep so that I can cool off instead of having a ****ging match via text.

Now I don't know what to do, I said some bad things but I can't believe she slapped me. I feel so disrespected and although I really love her this is just something I can't let pass. I'm facing the dilemma now, to follow my feelings and forgive her and just put it behind us or to follow my principles and stand up for my dignity by leaving her.

I feel so annoyed that all this has come about from something that should have been a romantic trip away, instead it's led to this disaster.

I really need some advice on how to approach the situation please, would appreciate your views on what would be the right thing to do because I don't want to act irrationally in this anger.

thanks.
    Your GF is crazy!
    She turns down your invitation to spend a weekend with you in PARIS!!!! to go to her friends birthday???
    she's not worth it ....

ReputationRep:
    I consider myself a feminist. I don't hate men, or "bash them". Feminism to me is simply "equal rights for everybody." Not the common stereotype and misconception of "man hating raging lunatic." Yes, there are a few idiots who act like that. But you can't generalise everybody. I live in Norway, which has been voted "most gender equal country" in the world ( along with other Scandinavian countries) and I don't share this view on feminism at all. People seem to have loads of different opinions. It's confusing and sad.
    I completely understand what you mean, though the reason why i hold this view is because i have many friends and know many people who refer to themselves as active 'feminists'. Goals which benefit women, but do not benefit men. Or goals which benefit women and disadvantage men.

If people believe in equality, why not call themselves an 'Egalitarianist', it doesn't demand that you don't specify on topic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KayK)
    I completely understand what you mean, though the reason why i hold this view is because i have many friends and know many people who refer to themselves as active 'feminists'. Goals which benefit women, but do not benefit men. Or goals which benefit women and disadvantage men.

If people believe in equality, why not call themselves an 'Egalitarianist', it doesn't demand that you don't specify on topic.
    Yeah. And that sucks. They kind of ruin everything. I wouldn't call them feminists, just lunatics. Yes, that's not a bad idea either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by otilov)
    should have slapped her back
    That's equality.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. And that sucks. They kind of ruin everything. I wouldn't call them feminists, just lunatics. Yes, that's not a bad idea either.
    I'm glad we could come to terms then

Btw, i LOVE norway.
    • TSR Support Team

How ungrateful is she, you had this book for ages yet she changes her plans. To top if off she then slaps you, sounds like this girl has some serious issues with herself, I am not sure I could forgive anyone if a girl pulled a stunt like this on me. I suggest if you are going to give this relationship another shot you both need to have a serious heart to heart talk about all this, but i'd leave it a day or two.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KayK)
    I'm glad we could come to terms then

Btw, i LOVE norway.
    Tehe. No problem... That's nice . I love Britain (if you're from Britain,lol). Huge Anglophile/Britainphile/Irelandphile.

ReputationRep:
    I consider myself a feminist. I don't hate men, or "bash them". Feminism to me is simply "equal rights for everybody." Not the common stereotype and misconception of "man hating raging lunatic." Yes, there are a few idiots who act like that. But you can't generalise everybody. I live in Norway, which has been voted "most gender equal country" in the world ( along with other Scandinavian countries) and I don't share this view on feminism at all. People seem to have loads of different opinions. It's confusing and sad.
    So why is it a misconception, now I know many feminists arent like that stereotype but there is a sizeable percentage that are, or at least have a massive chip on their shoulders.

Just like I know girls who throw the feminst word around to justify anything, or girls who say they are feminists in the sense its just about equal rights, then have more male friends than female, and say to a male friend about why doesnt he ask out the girl at the bar as she is hot, or has drinking games with the men.

Theres no smoke without fire as they say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My girlfriend came over this afternoon, thought we'd have a nice day in...until she casually tells me that she's effectively cancelling the plans we'd already made because it's her friends birthday party.

I have booked a trip to paris to stay there for 3 nights and she knows about this plan for a month now. I'm covering all the expenses, it's all coming out of my wallet. Not only am I really disappointed that she's choosing a friend's birthday party over spending a weekend away with me (although I wouldn't mind IF my plan was flexible, which it isn't because it's booked so it has to be cancelled).

She told me I can cancel the bookings, which is true...but then I'm charged a damn cancellation fee from the hotel which is a lot of money, WASTED money! Naturally I got really angry about this and I hated that she's not even considering 1. my feelings and 2. my money!

We started arguing a lot and had a heated exchange and I said "piss off to your friend then I can't stand the sight of you" which I agree was very rude of me but she slapped me across the face for it!!!

I was just shocked and froze, never expected her to do this and she never has in all the time we've been together (it's a long relationship). I was SO angry I was just fuming and I think she got scared just from the look on my face, so I told her to leave before this gets from bad to worse.

She kept ringing and texting after but I switched the phone off and went to sleep so that I can cool off instead of having a ****ging match via text.

Now I don't know what to do, I said some bad things but I can't believe she slapped me. I feel so disrespected and although I really love her this is just something I can't let pass. I'm facing the dilemma now, to follow my feelings and forgive her and just put it behind us or to follow my principles and stand up for my dignity by leaving her.

I feel so annoyed that all this has come about from something that should have been a romantic trip away, instead it's led to this disaster.

I really need some advice on how to approach the situation please, would appreciate your views on what would be the right thing to do because I don't want to act irrationally in this anger.

thanks.
    I have an awful temper. If it were me, I'd make her think we were breaking up for about a week, then gradually take her back (once she'd apologised profusely and bought me dinner). But, then, I'm a very bitter person To me, her behaviour sounds inexcusable. You made a huge sacrifice to book that holiday! This has even got me worked up on your behalf If it has been a long relationship and this glitch is an anomaly, then just make sure she thoroughly apologises. If it is not THAT serious (as in plans for life long partnership) then I'd ditch her; her actions demonstrated a very mean, careless, dismissive side of her personality.

ReputationRep:
    Tehe. No problem... That's nice . I love Britain (if you're from Britain,lol). Huge Anglophile/Britainphile/Irelandphile.
    ill swap places with you any day you can live in my home in ireland/uni in bath and ill take your norwegian home just need to learn the language...

ReputationRep:
    What a *****!

ReputationRep:
    I think the word is Eirophile. (sorry to be pedantic!)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 3, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.