Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is Bob Dylan the greatest songwriter ever? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovely_me)
    Oasis, and when I say Oasis I mean Noel. :adore::adore:

You can't be from Manchester and not love Oasis, it's like scientifically impossible.
    Noel's alright, but if the award goes to anyone in Manchester it's Morrissey.

ReputationRep:
    Aside from Dylan, Brian Wilson & Morrissey ...

What about Black Francis from the Pixies? His lyrics were pretty dark but clever and influential.

I plan to have "Monkey Gone To Heaven" played at my funeral :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OmicronPersei8)
    Aside from Dylan, Brian Wilson & Morrissey ...

What about Black Francis from the Pixies? His lyrics were pretty dark but clever and influential.

I plan to have "Monkey Gone To Heaven" played at my funeral :rolleyes:
    Yeah the Pixies are excellent, "with your feet on the air and your head on the ground...".

I really love U-Mass too, quite savage and biting. How about Caribou, Debaser, Here Comes Your Man?

ReputationRep:
    IMO the greatest songwriter ever is John Lennon x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inversion)
    Yeah the Pixies are excellent, "with your feet on the air and your head on the ground...".

I really love U-Mass too, quite savage and biting. How about Caribou, Debaser, Here Comes Your Man?
    Ahh finally a fellow Pixies fan! I just love Doolittle in general .. can never get enough of it.

Hey, Ana & Velouria have got to be favourites. Especially Hey .. "we're chained"

Also, weren't Thom Yorke & Kurt Cobain influenced quite a bit by Black Francis & The Pixies ... maybe not so much the latter. I'm not too sure

ReputationRep:
    Lennon

ReputationRep:
    So you're not an Oasis fan then?

Your main argument seem to be 'look how many people bummed off MJ. This must mean MJ > Oasis.
    A true fan has no care for how popular their artist is or how unpopular they are. In that respect I would say Oasis fans are truer.

Oasis 4eva - God Bless :suith:
    Are you ever able to string together a coherent argument without referring to people's rectums or private areas?

I never claimed to be a true Oasis. I was an avid fan back in the day (when I was like 10), had the albums, t-shirts, been to see them live. As I grown older I don't find their music had that lasting and enduring appeal. And rather than bummed, I think the word you're looking for is adored.

I don't think Nelson Mandela even knows who Oasis are but he certainly knew who Michael Jackson was.

Michael Jackson wrote and performed songs which were catchy and enduring and some cases rather moving like "I'll Be There", "Man in the mirror", "Heal the World", "Earth Song"....... he certainly didn't write all his songs but then again didn't Oasis rip-off the opening riff from Don't Look Back in Anger from John Lennon's Imagine and Cigarettes and Alcohol from a Rolling Stones track? Also didn't they do covers of Slade's "Come Feel the Noise", destroyed a classic in "Blue Moon" and wasn't Shaker Maker following the same tuneset as the Coca-Cola song "I'd like to teach the world to sing"?

Oasis were hardly original. Even Jacko's earliest track with the Jackson 5 "I want you back" easily wipes the floor of anything Oasis produced and chances are 40 years from now people will still be listening to MJ.

I'll let you off the hook after all you are only 16 and you missed out on MJ and arguably Oasis during their heydays but you will realise as you get older there is a lot more to music than just the song.

Also put it this way; people visit Gary, Indiana every year because it was MJ's home. People visit Detroit because it was the home of Motown Records probably the greatest record label ever. Legions of tourists come to Liverpool because of the legacy the Beatles left behind. People go to Abbey Road in London to mimic the Beatles album cover.

Millions visit Graceland because it was the home of Elvis. Nobody comes to Manchester because of Oasis. Fair enough, there isn't a museum as such for Manchester music but surely if there was demand for it they council would construct one and frankly I think it'd be a waste of money. Oasis didn't define Manchester or it's people and they certainly weren't our greatest sons.

That mantle goes to people like Robert Peel, Alan Turing (invented the computer) and John Dalton (although he wasn't a Manc, he spent most his life and did his research into the splitting of the atom there) oh and George Stephenson who constructed the world's first steam train and railway line (from Manchester to Liverpool) as well as being the centre of the Cotton industry during the 18th and 19th centuries and not to mention it's football teams aswell.

The fact is the Manchester, the UK and the World would have survived without Oasis but it would have been an emptier place without the likes of MJ, Elvis, The Beatles and Bob Dylan. Whilst Bob Dylan was championing civil rights the Gallaghers were busy bragging about how they got pissed on a Saturday evening and got into street brawls. Very inspiring. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    MATE, I don't bring this up often for obvious reasons but I was born in Wythenshawe. I WILL headbutt you to the ground if you insult me again.
    Calm it love, I know Wythenshawe isn't the nicest of places but you don't have to go all violent about a simple disagreement.

:teehee:
    Wythenshawe?!

ReputationRep:
    It's subjective really

I love Bowie and Springsteen, and they're two of the greatest songwriters ever, but you couldn't compare the two.

Also when you say songwriters then you must consider those who wrote great songs, yet weren't performers, like *ahem* Phil Spector...

ReputationRep:
    It's indubitably Leonard Cohen. What song could be truer than The Stranger Song. Though, it depends what sort of lyrics appeal to you. Bob Dylan's lyrics appear so great because, in a way, they're so blatant in message. He doesn't really sing much meaningful about people and produced a lot of rubbish. It's like comparing T S Elliot to William Blake - Elliot is so much more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pheylan)
    nah, john lennon is
    I went to rep you but apparently i've reached my daily limit

ReputationRep:
    Wtf has Buckley ever done that's been notable except ripping off a song?

Lol, who do you think you are, calling us youths?! You can't be that old yourself considering you're on a student website.
    :pierre:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stuartmaccormick)
    Jeff Buckley >>>>>> Bob Dylan

Oasis are not even in the same league IMO
    Jeff Buckley is undoubtedly one of the best singer/guitarists ever, but I don't think many would say he's a better songwriter than Bob Dylan or the vast majority of others already mentioned in this thread.

Agreed on Oasis.

ReputationRep:
    By no means the greatest songwriter ever, but still pretty damn talented, I'd say Tobias Sammet is worth a look, his work with Edguy and Avantasia is fantastic.

ReputationRep:
    As if anyone's mentioned Oasis. They're absolutely awful.

Bowie for me.

ReputationRep:
    Someone mentioned Jeff Buckley earlier on this thread. Now I love Jeff and he wrote some pretty good songs ('Everybody Here Wants you' is a killer) but he will be best remembered for interpreting other songs. He's nowhere near as talented song-writing wise as my beloved Brian Wilson though :P

Also someone mentioned that Michael jackson couldnt play instruments? In fact he's credited, on HIStory especially, as playing keyboards, drums and guitar. So there you go

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolawonder)
    Someone mentioned Jeff Buckley earlier on this thread. Now I love Jeff and he wrote some pretty good songs ('Everybody Here Wants you' is a killer) but he will be best remembered for interpreting other songs. He's nowhere near as talented song-writing wise as my beloved Brian Wilson though :P

Also someone mentioned that Michael jackson couldnt play instruments? In fact he's credited, on HIStory especially, as playing keyboards, drums and guitar. So there you go
    Yeah, you've summed up what I tried to say about Buckley, but you did it better. I would say that Elvis Presley and Johnny Cash are two the greatest artists ever, but to call them great songwriters would depreciate the art of songwriting. They, like Buckley, came into their own when they covered other people's work.

ReputationRep:
    It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)
    Darkness at the break of noon
    Shadows even the silver spoon
    The handmade blade, the child’s balloon
    Eclipses both the sun and moon
    To understand you know too soon
    There is no sense in trying

Pointed threats, they bluff with scorn
    Suicide remarks are torn
    From the fool’s gold mouthpiece the hollow horn
    Plays wasted words, proves to warn
    That he not busy being born is busy dying

ReputationRep:
    YES. I don't really know what to add, so I'm going to list some of my favourite Bob Dylan tracks, for their lyrics as well as the quite excellent music.

- Mr Tambourine Man
    - Not Dark Yet
    - Don't Think Twice, It's Alright
    - Visions of Johanna
    - Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands
    - Idiot Wind
    - Nettie Moore
    - I'm Not There

And many more besides. I also think people like Nick Drake (though he only did three albums), Leadbelly, Muddy Waters, and maybe Thom Yorke are sort of contendors, though that's probably more a reflection in my taste in music than objective quality.

Jeff Buckley made some great songs, but didn't release enough to be called a great songwriter. His dad, Tim Buckley, was pretty amazing too.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 24, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.