Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

[COMPETITION] When will the IPcalypse happen? watch

ReputationRep:
    So... what's going to happen when they run out? :erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Stig)
    So... what's going to happen when they run out? :erm:
    Not much actually - it just means people won't be able to buy block allocations of IPv4 IP addresses. There'll be stacks still available to use, and datacentres and ISPs will have plenty spare.

At some point, we'll need to migrate to IPv6 though. There hasn't been enough uptake for it yet, but with more and more devices becoming available, we clearly need a huge number more addresses. IPv6 will give us around 340,282,366,920,938,000,000,000, 000,000,000,000,000 unique IP addresses, compared to the 4,294,967,296 we have now.

ReputationRep:
    12pm on the 29th of january.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    hmm, I reckon 31/01 (and if it is it'd be awesome as its my birthday :awesome:)

ReputationRep:
    In terms of the IPcalypse it only means IANA has allocated all the addresses out to the Regional Registrars (RIPE, ARIN, APNIC). Telcos etc . will be getting there addresses from the regional registries rather than from ARIN.

I believe there was some rule/deal in that once the were only 3 blocks left for allocation by IANA they would be allocated to the three main Regional Registries.

I doubt there will be much trading in individual IP addresses as it's not really technically feasible to move an address to somewhere else in the internet (Unless the Default Free zone can handle 2^32 entries)

The real issue I know of with IPv6 is some of the supporting protocols are still very new (DHCPv6 is still quite new). For businesses there's not really the killer application that requires IPv6. If you've got IPv4 addresses then what extra does IPv6 give you - I've been running IPv6 on my home network for several years. Almost no traffic goes via the IPv6 tunnel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mfaxford)
    In terms of the IPcalypse it only means IANA has allocated all the addresses out to the Regional Registrars (RIPE, ARIN, APNIC). Telcos etc . will be getting there addresses from the regional registries rather than from ARIN.

I believe there was some rule/deal in that once the were only 3 blocks left for allocation by IANA they would be allocated to the three main Regional Registries.

I doubt there will be much trading in individual IP addresses as it's not really technically feasible to move an address to somewhere else in the internet (Unless the Default Free zone can handle 2^32 entries)

The real issue I know of with IPv6 is some of the supporting protocols are still very new (DHCPv6 is still quite new). For businesses there's not really the killer application that requires IPv6. If you've got IPv4 addresses then what extra does IPv6 give you - I've been running IPv6 on my home network for several years. Almost no traffic goes via the IPv6 tunnel.
    Just to clarify, when this final /8 block is allocated in the next day or 2 to APNIC, each of the five RIR's will receive a final /8 each, exhausting the supply from IANA.

They predict the RIR's will run out by about September at the current rate of allocation.

ReputationRep:
    I am going to be quite annoyed if I miss out by one day...considering I debated 1st or 2nd

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    I am going to be quite annoyed if I miss out by one day...considering I debated 1st or 2nd
    I think I'm going to be 2 days late considering I guessed for 10 days early

ReputationRep:
    OH NOOOOOES
    http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=t..._exhaustion%2F
    IS OVER...

ReputationRep:
    Is it actually over? The BBC is just saying the addresses are "nearly exhausted", and the IPv4 Twitter feed says there are "under 2 million".
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12306573
    http://twitter.com/IPv4Countdown

No one has February 3rd so starting to look good for my guess. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    Is it actually over? The BBC is just saying the addresses are "nearly exhausted", and the IPv4 Twitter feed says there are "under 2 million".
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12306573

No one has February 3rd so starting to look good for my guess. :awesome:
    Unless I am mistaken, once down to the last 5 /8 blocks IANA protocol is to automatically assign each RIR a block and this is triggered automatically but I guess the counters are still counting down because all they are doing is extrapolating the rate of IP address exhaustion and not necessarily taking into account IANA's exhaustion protocol

ReputationRep:
    Well it's definately down to 0 now:

ReputationRep:
    It's all over!

Potally_Tissed and wizard710 are the winners!

ReputationRep:
    Today.

ReputationRep:
    Oh noes.

ReputationRep:
    :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    2 is just as close to 3 as 4. Alas, was so close. :sad:
    Well it is the afternoon, so technically we're closer to the 4th than to the 2nd.

ReputationRep:
    Ah well. :sad: Congratulations. :sad:

Maybe next time. :moon:
    Next time we run out of IP addresses? Not likely to happen for a long time with IPv6. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    It's all over!

Potally_Tissed and wizard710 are the winners!
    Awesome

ReputationRep:
    If not for the day, your time (15:30) was more or less spot on. :king1:
    I only guessed that cos it is the time that I finish my last exam :

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2011
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.