Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSRBC -- January '11 Watch

• View Poll Results: What book do you want TSR to read?
    24.44%
    The Book Thief
    17.78%
    A Case of Exploding Mangoes
    4.44%
    The Handmaid's Tale
    2.22%
    Heart of Darkness
    33.33%
    To The Lighthouse
    4.44%
    Villette
    2.22%
    A Thousand Splendid Suns
    8.89%
    The Killing Jar
    0%
    The Pillowman
    2.22%

(Original post by spacepirate-James)
      gonna read a chapter of Ulysses tonight. or try.
      :love: Do you intend to read Finnegan's Wake any time soon? :eek:

ReputationRep:
      I've always wondered what a degree in english is like? Where are you studying it, and what's it like.

Simples. We both post in our spoiler and ........ oh i dunno. :emo:

ROCK.
      Spoiler:
      Show
      paper

I didn't peek, honest.

It is disappointing, but that might just be this particular course/uni. And the fact that I only applied to do English cos I didn't know what else I wanted to do. I will PM you about it sometime.

(Original post by sandys1000)
        Oh good luck with that I gave up on Ulysses after a few pages.
        Go for it again. It's simply amazing.
        • Political Ambassador
        • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
        :ahee: so what books did everyone else get for Crimbo?

Paradise Lost and Inferno for me I think my parents were trying to tell me something
        I have like 5 different editions of PL

**** knows why.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Potiron)
        Spoiler:
        Show
        paper

I didn't peek, honest.

It is disappointing, but that might just be this particular course/uni. And the fact that I only applied to do English cos I didn't know what else I wanted to do. I will PM you about it sometime.
        you win. here's some monopoly money as your prize

Spoiler:
        Show

what uni do you go to? :ninja:

aye. PM will do fine. sorry about the course though, I'm sure it'll get better...

(Original post by paddy__power)
        I have like 5 different editions of PL

**** knows why.
        does it not sadden you that it's only our nominations that don't have any votes?
        • Political Ambassador
        • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
        Spoiler:
        Show
        paper

I didn't peek, honest.

I know this feeling. It is very disappointing as a degree. Again, that could be an incompatability issue between me and the uni.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by im so academic)
        :love: Do you intend to read Finnegan's Wake any time soon? :eek:
        perhaps. thank god I don't need to read it for my dissertation this year

I'm think after Ulysses, I'm going on a poetry binge. no, I lie. I'm going on a 'classic' binge. I have never read Lord Of The Flies/Of Mice and Men/To Kill a Mockingbird. Yes. It's shocking, I know. I'm going to see what makes them tick

---

Guess the book:

Everyone had always said that John would be a preacher when he grew up, just like his father.
        • Political Ambassador
        • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
        you win. here's some monopoly money as your prize

Spoiler:
        Show

aye. PM will do fine. sorry about the course though, I'm sure it'll get better

does it not sadden you that it's only our nominations that don't have any votes?
        No. I was quite aware that in their ignorance people were unlikely to vote for things they have never heard of ;]. I'm still waiting for a reply from the person that claimed to have read both of my suggestions. :dontknow:

perhaps. thank god I don't need to read it for my dissertation this year

I'm think after Ulysses, I'm going on a poetry binge. no, I lie. I'm going on a 'classic' binge. I have never read Lord Of The Flies/Of Mice and Men/To Kill a Mockingbird. Yes. It's shocking, I know. I'm going to see what makes them tick
          Woah, what degree are you doing that requires you to read Ulysses? (English right?)

Those three you've mentioned shouldn't be too hard for you really. You can pretty much read them within a day or two if you have the time. :yep:

ReputationRep:
          No. I was quite aware that in their ignorance people were unlikely to vote for things they have never heard of ;]. I'm still waiting for a reply from the person that claimed to have read both of my suggestions. :dontknow:
          I think that explains the popularity for 1984. Meh.

Looking forward to Conrad. It's a short read.

Woah, what degree are you doing that requires you to read Ulysses? (English right?)

Those three you've mentioned shouldn't be too hard for you really. You can pretty much read them within a day or two if you have the time. :yep:
          Well, oddly I'm still in school doing Advanced Higher English. We need to do an over-glorified essay on our chosen author. Picking Joyce meant I had to write on Dubliners, A Portrait, and maybe bits of Ulysses. I'm a hopeful medic in real life

I borrowed Of Mice and Men out of the library (**** YOU LIBRARY. Stop fining me! Just because I'm a lazy ******* ) and started to read it.
          • Political Ambassador
          • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
          LOTF is not a great book really, it's not bad but not as great as people think.

OMAM is one of my favourite books, as is TKAMB; both are well written and easy to read. Two of the earliest 'classics' I read all those years ago.
          • Political Ambassador
          • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
          I think that explains the popularity for 1984. Meh.

Looking forward to Conrad. It's a short read.
          It is indeed a short, easy read. I never finished it but made a decent dent in a short time.

1984. Oh dear. I can think of few books more obvious, which is not a good thing.

ReputationRep:
          LOTF is not a great book really, it's not bad but not as great as people think.

OMAM is one of my favourite books, as is TKAMB; both are well written and easy to read. Two of the earliest 'classics' I read all those years ago.
          That's the thing isn't it. People always rave on about the same old books for their top 10. 1984/LOTF/TKAMB always make an appearance.

I mean sure, 1984 was a great book but if you look at it from the viewpoint in terms of style of writing, then it's pretty average IMO. I'm wondering whether the same is of the other books.

ReputationRep:
          Go for it again. It's simply amazing.
          I will do at some point. I've got a lot on my list though. I need to finish The Count of Monte Cristo before (by the looks of it) Heart of Darkness.
          • Political Ambassador
          • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
          That's the thing isn't it. People always rave on about the same old books for their top 10. 1984/LOTF/TKAMB always make an appearance.

I mean sure, 1984 was a great book but if you look at it from the viewpoint in terms of style of writing, then it's pretty average IMO. I'm wondering whether the same is of the other books.
          I think TKAMB is actually very well written but the same is true of many books I'm sure. The problem is that people think that the right thing for them to do is choose 'classics', to choose things other people will instantly connect with 'good' literature and this is self fulfilling and self perpetuating. I'm not saying a lot of it isn't brilliant literature, it is, but the fact that so many people would have their entire top list circumscribed by recognisability is a little sad. Ironically most of my favourite books are 'classics' :p:

Well, oddly I'm still in school doing Advanced Higher English. We need to do an over-glorified essay on our chosen author. Picking Joyce meant I had to write on Dubliners, A Portrait, and maybe bits of Ulysses. I'm a hopeful medic in real life
            :love: Sorry, but you should do a bit of Finnegan's Wake in there.

Or write your essay in that style. :gah:

I borrowed Of Mice and Men out of the library (**** YOU LIBRARY. Stop fining me! Just because I'm a lazy ******* ) and started to read it.
            :rofl: Btw, don't do what I did and read it at a fast pace, otherwise you'll miss out certain things.

(Original post by sandys1000)
              I will do at some point. I've got a lot on my list though. I need to finish The Count of Monte Cristo before (by the looks of it) Heart of Darkness.
              The Count of Monte Cristo? Good luck with that! :p:

ReputationRep:

aye. PM will do fine. sorry about the course though, I'm sure it'll get better...
              I cannot tell a lie, I did peek with my eyes. So you can keep the money. Else the guilt will tear me apart.

It may get better, but I have reapplied anyway and I have options coming out of my ears, I can stay or go next year.

Where are you planning to go to university? We're veering wildly off topic here.

I know this feeling. It is very disappointing as a degree. Again, that could be an incompatability issue between me and the uni.
              Dang, I was about to point him towards you for a positiver view of English. How long have you been doing it for?

ReputationRep:
              Um. I just went on Amazon and, er, accidentally bought a Kindle.
              Oops.
              :shiftyrun:
              • Political Ambassador
              • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
              I cannot tell a lie, I did peek with my eyes. So you can keep the money. Else the guilt will tear me apart.

It may get better, but I have reapplied anyway and I have options coming out of my ears, I can stay or go next year.

Where are you planning to go to university? We're veering wildly off topic here.

Dang, I was about to point him towards you for a positiver view of English. How long have you been doing it for?
              Literature is beautiful, studying it is limp, anemic and facile at times. You have to take the good with the bad or resign yourself to placing false significance on the redundancies they posit as significant. I could continue but won't.

I'm a first year.

Submit reply
            TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2011
          • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
            What time of year is the worst for students?
          • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
            Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.