Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Kindle and other E-book readers discussion. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harrietta)
    I don't believe in E-books. Takes the fun out of reading.
    Yeah, definitely. I hope I'm dead before they really take off.

ReputationRep:
    I used a couple of ebook readers for a few weeks each, and they're good, but yet I still wouldn't go out and buy one.

When I'm reading, I tend to read a book at a time, or I'm doing research. In the first case, I'd be as well carrying the book around as I tend to have a rucksack with me; in the latter case, I'd have a laptop or similar there with me and read off there to make things easier.

I can definitely see the benefits though - my uncle got one for Christmas as he's struggling to walk a bit now and spending most of his time sitting in the front room; it's smallerand the same weight for him to pick up, good for his long-sightedness, and means he doesn't have to get up to go and buy or pick up a new book

ReputationRep:
    i got a kindle for christmas too, i'm obsessed with it atm. i've been reading books i've never even heard of before.
    i love the fact you can sample the books before you buy them, it saves a lot of money if the book is actually crap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bex285)
    We saved ourselves £2 buying ours before now
    Also mine's meant to arrive today but no sign as yet!
    £3 for those of us who got the 3G version!

ReputationRep:
    It still hasn't arrived :'(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yoghurt)
    £3 for those of us who got the 3G version!
    Aah, you superior beings

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ziedj)
    It still hasn't arrived :'(
    Ditto, but mine's cause there's no post in Scotland today

I wouldnt get the kindle, amazon seem to retain too much control of things (itunes style), I would try one of the others though.

I think the only thing that would bother me if was I wanted a book that didnt have an electronic version. I mean, I want to actually be able to put all my books on it...not have some left out.

ReputationRep:
      I just got the £99 samsung e65 ereader that PC world/dixons are doing. I really love it :-D Got loads of classics on there, and loads of other stuff.

I went for the samsung over the kindle because I didn't care about the browsing and I wanted to be able to loan ebooks from my local library without having to worry about the format.

Not being able to read ePub is poor of the Kindle really, because it's the standard non-proprietary format.

ReputationRep:
      **** you Royal Mail you ****ing ****heads where's my ****ing kindle i ****ing hate you, you piece of **** delivery service

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ziedj)
      **** you Royal Mail you ****ing ****heads where's my ****ing kindle i ****ing hate you, you piece of **** delivery service
      I think I love you

ReputationRep:
      IT'S HERE!!!! I'm such a big wean lol.

ReputationRep:
      Is there much of a difference between the Amazon 3G Kindle and the Amazon non-3G Kindle ? Is the £40 extra worth it?

Besides this, what's the best Ebook out there?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by T-Toe)
      Is there much of a difference between the Amazon 3G Kindle and the Amazon non-3G Kindle ? Is the £40 extra worth it?

The difference between the two is that you can browse the kindle store and the internet for free in over 100 countries without the need off a Wifi connection with the 3G model.

With the non-3g model you have to connect to a Wifi hotspot or, a wireless connection within your home. It's up to the individual as to whether they think its worth the extra £40. I personally think it is, but I can understand if some people think it isn't.

ReputationRep:
      I'd say it isn't worth the extra money personally. No one buys a kindle to browse the internet, there's no colour and it only serves to waste battery. Besides, 99% of people will buy books when they're at home. I don't see why you would spontaneously want to order a book when you're out and about - most people naturally look for another book when they're nearing the end of the one they're reading anyway.

The only time I can see the 3G would be handy is if:
      a. You're traveling the world a lot and so don't have a computer to hand (if that's the case, load up the kindle with lots of books before you leave, that's what the hard-drive is for!)
      b. If you're browsing in a bookstore, you can immediately order any books you like the look of (but that's a pretty minor convenience, and not worth £40 IMO)

ReputationRep:
      Okay this is a joke, it STILL hasn't arrived, and I'm going back to uni today so I won't even get it until I next visit home!

Also, as for the 3G one, you can browse wikipedia / your emails / news sites / whatever else too, which I think is pretty handy for travelling :P

ReputationRep:
      3G one is also useful if you subscribe to a newspaper or blog. You'll get it delivered to your Kindle automatically.

Obviously if you've got a Wifi connection it won't be an issue.

And the newspapers are very expensive. And mostly without pictures. And The Daily Fail. >.<

I just want John Lewis to hurry up and start stocking the Kindle! I'm not pay £152 on Amazon when I can get it for less in John Lewis

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by moneyballs2)

I just want John Lewis to hurry up and start stocking the Kindle! I'm not pay £152 on Amazon when I can get it for less in John Lewis
      Why would it be less in John Lewis? It's advertised at Amazon prices on their website :confused:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by T-Toe)

The 3G version comes with distractions.

I almost bought it, but then realised that I would end up spending too much time browsing/facebooking etc, and not enough time reading, which is why I wanted the thing. Also, it is all black and white, with clumsy interface. It's just not meant for browsing.

Also, you can fit 3000 books on that thing, surely that's enough for you to stock up before a long journey so you can do without your kindle store till you find another hotspot?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by bex285)
      Why would it be less in John Lewis? It's advertised at Amazon prices on their website :confused:
      The wonders of staff discount

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.