Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are there any truly 'bad' universities in the UK? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BigDaveLFC)
    Hull because it's in Hull
    lol. My teacher studied there, and she's got a nice wage. Also Bradford university is quite far down, but they are really good for pharmacy based courses ie: optometry, medicine etc..

I'm wanting to go to an "ex-poly" but they have fantastic Cisco links. Consider this-everyone who applied to work for Cisco in their placement year got a job. 100% of applicants received the job

http://www.staffs.ac.uk/faculties/co...excellence.jsp

(Original post by Stafford University)
    Recently, Cisco offered us some very..very expensive networking equipment for free on ‘long term loan’. This kit is probably only available in perhaps one other HE networking laboratory in the UK. The loan will allow our students access to equipment that they would otherwise have no chance of using, and so further improve their employability
    Cisco are not a generous organisation like Microsoft, which shows that they must have some fantastic links/good teaching standards to be given the equipment in the first place

Also, I've said it before and Ill say it again. I am ashamed for Leeds met
    (Original post by Leeds Met)
    Applicants over 21 years may not require formal qualifications but must demonstrate the motivation to succeed and the potential to complete and pass the course. You may be required to provide evidence of previous learning or attend an interview.
    http://courses.leedsmet.ac.uk/main/d...5&attendance=4

That's not to say that they aren't good for other courses though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wookie42)
    My mistake, I thought we were talking about Derby

However after finding out you were making reference to South Bank you must be having a laugh/the statistics must be skewed somehow. No offence, but LSB is an s-hole. I'm no snob when it comes to uni - far from it in fact - but no way do they have decent grad options.

I don't see why you can't have good prospects from it? It's in London which yes means the likelihood of finding a good job is greater, but as said earlier, a sales assistant job ain't gunna earn you 22k. I can't be certain but glancing at their website their degrees seem mainly based in technology and business (there is some laughable stuff on there too though, mind housing studies, anyone?:rolleyes:), which are in high demand and can get some really good jobs..

ReputationRep:
    Out of the 120 or so there are almost 100 of them are totally pointless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de_monies)
    lol. My teacher studied there, and she's got a nice wage. Also Bradford university is quite far down, but they are really good for pharmacy based courses ie: optometry, medicine etc..

I'm wanting to go to an "ex-poly" but they have fantastic Cisco links. Consider this-everyone who applied to work for Cisco in their placement year got a job. 100% of applicants received the job

http://www.staffs.ac.uk/faculties/co...excellence.jsp

Cisco are not a generous organisation like Microsoft, which shows that they must have some fantastic links/good teaching standards to be given the equipment in the first place

Also, I've said it before and Ill say it again. I am ashamed for Leeds met

http://courses.leedsmet.ac.uk/main/d...5&attendance=4

That's not to say that they aren't good for other courses though
    Staffs have been running computing courses for a looong time. Good department there for CS and such. Thing is though, if they really were that good they would be higher up the rankings as both a uni and more importantly a department. I know tables aren't everything, but it does make you wonder what's really going on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)

if somebody gets EE, no they are not doomed for life, they can do plenty of things, just academics obviously isn't their strong point so they should pursue something else.
    and if a course isn't popular it probably shouldn't be running in the first place!
    No, I think you've missed my point.

What is the difference between a Cambridge matriculation offer student goes on to achieve EE grades but then decides to drop out 2 months later and someone who has gained entry to a top 100 university but still only attains EE and also drops out?

NOTHING. (According to you, someone who achieves EE does not have academics as their strong point, yet one of them was able to gain a matriculation offer but only achieved EE.. Yet it could be argued this person is academically capable). Therefore EE =/= academically challenged.

Both achieved the same grades, both are at the same stages of their lives after dropping out. Do you think entry level employers will care about someone who achieves 10 A*s at GCSE? :lol:

Also, I'm pretty sure it is mostly the sciences/engineering (amongst others such as Archeology etc - nothing wrong with any of the courses btw!) courses that are in Clearing in August YET I'm sure you would argue that these courses should run.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-Toe)
    :lolwut: So (s)he thinks (s)he has the audacity to proclaim Oxbridge to the heavens and scorn every other uni?

I would laugh if 'im so academic' got rejected from Oxford. She/he would probably kill him or herself.
    Considering how much time he/she spends on TSR and judging by their post count, it would surprise if she/he was turned down to do A levels let alone oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maskofsanity)
    Yes it does.
    No it does not.

Look at my post above this one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usainlightning)
    Out of the 120 or so there are almost 100 of them are totally pointless.
    I assume you mean non-Russell/1994 groups.

ReputationRep:
    I actually read through all 5 pages of the thread.

And finally realized...

TSR = TheSownRose lol duuhhhh, how clever.

and yeah, that was the most interesting thing I got out of this thread.

ReputationRep:
    Derby just came up on those ads above 'Who Quoted Me' :O

ReputationRep:
    Any university that deals in 'points'

Just going to stick it out there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperStarr1)
    No, I think you've missed my point.

What is the difference between a Cambridge matriculation offer student goes on to achieve EE grades but then decides to drop out 2 months later and someone who has gained entry to a top 100 university but still only attains EE and also drops out?

NOTHING. (According to you, someone who achieves EE does not have academics as their strong point, yet one of them was able to gain a matriculation offer but only achieved EE.. Yet it could be argued this person is academically capable). Therefore EE =/= academically challenged.

Both achieved the same grades, both are at the same stages of their lives after dropping out. Do you think entry level employers will care about someone who achieves 10 A*s at GCSE? :lol:

Also, I'm pretty sure it is mostly the sciences/engineering (amongst others such as Archeology etc - nothing wrong with any of the courses btw!) courses that are in Clearing in August YET I'm sure you would argue that these courses should run.
    first off show me any cambridge student who has achieved EE in the last decade... i doubt you'll find any. in the past few years you'll find a couple of AABs and but nothing below that. the EE offer at oxbridge is just a historic thing, it doesn't mean that they expect the student to obtain anything remotely close to EE.

so you're whole theoretical point is completely invalid.

and if a course is in clearing it means it has some places left, not that it's unpopular. and i'd actually argue some science subjects at some universities shouldn't run if the quality of teaching isn't up to scratch... and judging by the science teachers in my school, it really isn't at a fair number of universities.

ReputationRep:
    TheSownRose: We all know you go to a university that's perceived as being crap. Please stop making threads on this topic!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kerny)
    Oxford and Cambridge offers of EE are only given out to exceptional students in order to negate the pressures of exam stress.
    I'm probably digressing a bit here, but if they're applying to a university where there's almost certainly going to be a few years of very important exams and where academic achievement is paramount, surely they will be looking for people who can cope with exam stress? Sure if there's other circumstances that may lower thier grades a bit but wouldn't it be better if they deferred for a year if that was the case? It just confuses me a bit...

Anyway back to the question: I don't think there are necessarily bad universities, but some aren't as academic as others. Vocational degrees have as much place in the education system as academic ones, and people have a right to study whatever they choose to, we're all paying the same amount (at least for the moment!) after all! What makes a university bad is when there are disorganised departments, lecturers who may (or may not be) ridiculously intelligent and have tons of knowledge in thier field, but can't give a proper lecture/can't communicate properly with human beings for toffee and the main university body couldn't give a toss about the students.

Luckily, I don't have these

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jakko247)

including QM than, cos you know they deal in points as well

pointless topic for all those education snobs to come out and play and prove they know nothing about higher education in this country

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
    first off show me any cambridge student who has achieved EE in the last decade... i doubt you'll find any. in the past few years you'll find a couple of AABs and but nothing below that. the EE offer at oxbridge is just a historic thing, it doesn't mean that they expect the student to obtain anything remotely close to EE.

so you're whole theoretical point is completely invalid.

and if a course is in clearing it means it has some places left, not that it's unpopular. and i'd actually argue some science subjects at some universities shouldn't run if the quality of teaching isn't up to scratch... and judging by the science teachers in my school, it really isn't at a fair number of universities.
    It's a hypothesis, it is not invalid. Just because something may not have happened in the last 10 years, does not mean it won't in the next 10.

To my knowledge you need a higher level of education to teach at university than you do at a school (i.e. Undergraduate/PGCE v. MA/PHD etc).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jakko247)

Heh, QMUL just gave me a points offer Standard entry req's are ABB though.

ReputationRep:
    It's a hypothesis, it is not invalid. Just because something may not have happened in the last 10 years, does not mean it won't in the next 10.

To my knowledge you need a higher level of education to teach at university than you do at a school (i.e. Undergraduate/PGCE v. MA/PHD etc).
    You are just talking theoretical nonsense. The EE offer is given in extremely rare circumstances to people with unusually high levels of intelligence. That's all there is to it.

ReputationRep:

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. The likelihood of anyone getting that kind of offer is ridiculously low, and even then it is only for those who are academically brilliant. You're the kind of person who just wastes everyone else's time on TSR arguing with you because you won't give up even though you're clearly wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Everything with "metropolitan" in the name.

Anything that is the name of a proper university with another random word put on; "Oxford Brookes" "Southampton Solent" "Nottingham Trent" etc.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.