Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Giving blood - your views Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to give blood and I definitely would if I wasn't so bad with needles. I just pass out pretty much every time I get an injection, it's not that I'm scared of needles - I'll barely notice the needle going in but then it'll all go black. i can imagine it would be worse with giving blood.

ReputationRep:
    I would do it, but I'd have to be knocked out cold first. I'm not squeamish about blood itself, but for some reason I absolutely despise the idea of drawing out blood.

ReputationRep:
    I used to give blood in the army, hough I'm not supposed to as I am extremely underweight (41KG).
    I think it is very important to give blood, someone might need it someday and you might need it too.

ReputationRep:
    I've given blood twice, I'm group O+.

However, as I've been involved with the menfolk, I'm no longer eligible, until such a time as the rules are changed. Plenty of gay men ignore the rules and donate anyway, but I can't be bothered with that, if they don't want it, they don't want it.
    The LGBTQ section of the student union (I attended their meetings for a short while) are campaigning to have the rules for blood donation in that area changed. I frankly haven't bothered to join in, though I support their cause, to a certain extent.

ReputationRep:
    I give blood.
    I'll give blood again, many a time.
    I very much believe in it
    I'd have no problem taking a blood transfusion if i needed it, knowing that I donate whenever I can.
    All my friends annoy the hell out of me, saying 'oh i don't like needles' or 'i don't like the idea of giving blood' - That day or so of discomfort could save someone's life. ****ing grow a pair.

ReputationRep:
    only if i were paid

you'd make a killing if you were O neg

ReputationRep:
    I've never given blood before, though I used to go along with my mum when I was little.... (free orange juice and biscuits, oh yeah.)

But now I can't give blood and I really wish I could... I'm going to need several blood transfusions and platelets over the next few months so I can't donate any myself and I don't think I will be able to even if I get completely better

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to burst people's bubbles about giving blood! Tis still good that you want(ed) to though . Oh yeah, after the 2nd donation you get a keyring with your blood type, and a red card after your first donation, blue card after your 5th and so on so it's handy to keep on your keys/in your purse incase you do have an accident!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not getting a bus and then going on a huge walk just to give blood i don't need to convince myself i am a good person

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JGR)
    I've given blood twice, I'm group O+.

However, as I've been involved with the menfolk, I'm no longer eligible, until such a time as the rules are changed. Plenty of gay men ignore the rules and donate anyway, but I can't be bothered with that, if they don't want it, they don't want it.
    The LGBTQ section of the student union (I attended their meetings for a short while) are campaigning to have the rules for blood donation in that area changed. I frankly haven't bothered to join in, though I support their cause, to a certain extent.
    It does seem harsh but it's just a precaution to prevent people who MAY have HIV from giving blood, as obviously the risk is higher between two male couples or men who have sex with other men. Although they test for HIV every time you donate so ... they would spot that before giving it to someone! Sorry you can't give blood though, I'm sure you're healthy!

ReputationRep:
    I personally wouldn't do it...purely because of passing out after having a blood test so I dont think having loads of blood taken would be too good. Having said that one of my mates wouldn't be here today if she hadn't had a transfusion so it is a good thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachlala14)
    Believe me, you're not the first person to ask me this...It's just my personal opinion! I don't want anyone to have my organs and I don't want to take anyone's organs - I've thought hard about it for a long time and came to the that conclusion, discussed it with my mother who's a palliative care nurse and have close relatives that have had numerous heart transplants which have been unsuccessful and have been rejected by their body.
    It's worse seeing an organ being rejected by someone's body than dying in my opinion - my cousin is just slowly having his life dragged out while his body packs up in between transplants; he's frequently sick, on so many pills morning and night and the doctors say that if he keeps rejecting all the donor hearts he'll probably not live past his twenties, he's about 12 now.

So yeah...may seem selfish at first glance but I just wouldn't accept someone else's organs and I'll not complain if someone else wants them! I've weighed up my options, beliefs and others opinions and decided it's not for me and it doesn't put a dampner on my life or my family's in the slightest
    Forgive me for saying, but that's crazy. You'd choose certain death over possible death? Rejection is not a certainty. It's not even *likely* in some situations. If it does happen, it can sometimes be treated. On the other hand, if you need an organ and you turn it down, you will certainly die, in lots of pain. Death is not treatable. That just doesn't make any sense.

(Original post by NurseTobex)
    It does seem harsh but it's just a precaution to prevent people who MAY have HIV from giving blood, as obviously the risk is higher between two male couples or men who have sex with other men.
    Is it obvious? Really?

ReputationRep:
    I have done, but the system really does make it hard to give.

Life is too unpredictable to tie oneself down to set appointments, and they're usually full when I drop in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revd. Mike)
    Forgive me for saying, but that's crazy.
    It's called freedom of opinion. If i don't want someone else's organs, that's my perogative and there's no need to judge me for it. Maybe I just want to be buried with all my own organs and not someone elses.
    I might make the decision to be a living donor for a family member if the need ever arises but if not, I will not be donating/receiving any organs.

(Original post by Revd. Mike)
    You will certainly die, in lots of pain. Death is not treatable. That just doesn't make any sense.
    It's called IV Opioids. "You will certainly die, in lots of pain" just doesn't make any sense. Maybe like 100 years ago...

ReputationRep:
    I havent given blood but i may do in the future- its a good idea. I would recieve blood if i had to.

ReputationRep:
    I've given blood and would receive it.

Why not give blood? So little pain for somebody else's gain! If you want to help people this is the way to do it.

ReputationRep:
    I've done a few times. Got a bit anaemic so took a year's break, hope to start again in the new year. It's my resolution

ReputationRep:
    I would give blood but can't because of medicatoon, age and weight.

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to donate blood, but I automatically have HIV in the eyes of the National Blood Service. :rolleyes:

(Original post by rachlala14)
    It's called IV Opioids. "You will certainly die, in lots of pain" just doesn't make any sense. Maybe like 100 years ago...
    If only they really worked. :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    I would give blood, if I was able to (apparently I need to wait 6 more months because I left the country), and as soon as those 6 months are up, I shall. I would accept. I have nothing against people who don't, it's their body and their choice - even if I don't agree with this view.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.