Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is your New Year's political wish? Watch

• View Poll Results: What is your New Year's political wish?
    Bring down the ConDem Coalition
    34.88%
    Bring down the entire UK Party System
    10.47%
    Bring down the banks (but not the government)
    6.98%
    Bonfire of elites; Libert égalité, fraternité
    9.30%
    Invade Luxembourg (let's annex it. Seriously.)
    13.95%
    Spend less time thinking about politics
    6.98%
    Warn people about the dangers of global warming
    9.30%
    Support the Royal Family for the Wedding
    8.14%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by domino0806)
    Well, if you're so politically opinionated, do tell me what a "large step to the right" would involve, in your view.
    Tighter controls on the welfare system, it's far too easy to abuse IMO. There's also not much incentive for the work-shy to work, so I'd like to see some of the freebies those on benefits enjoy scrapped. Also people who have children while on benefits should not recieve child benefit (they knew the situation, don't expect more handouts:rolleyes:). I'd love to see lower taxation, but I highly doubt that that is very plausible due to the current economic climate. Again on the point of taxation, I'd like to see inheritance tax and savings tax scrapped. On the topic of the NHS, anyone trying to use it should have had to be a working resident here for at least two years, so that they've paid into the system. Schools should have discipline restored, and teachers should be allowed to use corporal punishment. The death penalty should be reinstated for the most serious crimes (only where the evidence is undisputable, obviously), of course this won't happen because of the damned EU Human Rights convention.

As I've said, most of that won't happen anytime soon unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    Mine is to never again dabble in politics. It is crap, soul-destroying and based on what you say, not what you believe.

Good riddance.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.