Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lonely14)
    :rolleyes: Yeah. I'm pretty sure I am reading the right books.

I understand what are you saying, I know Harry has suffered a lot, but as I've just finished order of Phoenix and I've took great dislike to his father James as well (Bullying Snape :mad:). I never liked Sirius either (so grumpy), glad he died.

I forget Harry is a teenager and his behaviour is quite expected. (but just him being angry and miserable all the time puts me off the book). All the other charaters are really likeable e.g. Ron, Hermione and Dobby.

I just take book characters quite seriously.
    When you finish Deathy Hallows hopefully you'll see him differently. Just because his father was an arse, this doesn't mean that Harry is. Dumbledore constantly states that Harry is a lot more like mother, loving, caring, selfless beyond doubt etc. He is angry 'cause his parents are dead and he feels alone, the Order are treating him like a child even though so much depends on him, I imagine it takes a lot to hav ethat on your shoulders!

Uhh, anyway i'm getting far too into it! As I said, hopefully you'll see Harry differently at the end of the series!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luceria)
    Tehe. Ob...................vi......... ......ously. (I do love Alan Rickman)

Yes, she is indeed the ginger one.
    Made me lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peachz)
    When you finish Deathy Hallows hopefully you'll see him differently. Just because his father was an arse, this doesn't mean that Harry is. Dumbledore constantly states that Harry is a lot more like mother, loving, caring, selfless beyond doubt etc. He is angry 'cause his parents are dead and he feels alone, the Order are treating him like a child even though so much depends on him, I imagine it takes a lot to hav ethat on your shoulders!

Uhh, anyway i'm getting far too into it! As I said, hopefully you'll see Harry differently at the end of the series!
    Yeah, you're probably right. On to Half-Blood prince now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lonely14)
    Yeah, you're probably right. On to Half-Blood prince now.
    Read faster! (My apologies for sounding a bit arsey earlier! hahaha)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anfieldred07)
    Simple question really. Myself? Not a fan. I can see the attraction but it just doesn't stimulate me. Its very rare i come across somebody who doesn't like the films or books (or both) so i thought i would see the response on here.
    Same here. I read about 5 pages of the first one and watched the film, played the PS1 game. But couldn't be arsed to keep up with it.

Still to this day I've not seen any of the others, I cba and more important things to worry aboot :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luhar)
    Dobby is an elf
    Only a true Harry Potter follower would say that!

ReputationRep:
    Unrealistic characters. The genocidal undertones are also too strong.

ReputationRep:
    I've only ever read (part of) one Harry Potter book (Philosopher's Stone). When the book came out in 1997 it was a kind of parent's book of the month , a throwback to books of the 50s and 60s , that could have just remained a cult book like Automated Alice. It became a more than a cult- it became very popular.

I know that I am too old to gauage whether it is actually spellbinding but I can't help feeling that it's just The Worst Witch , Roald Dahl , a bit of Famous Five and Lord of the rings all stirred in a cauldron and not as enjoyably easy to read as the first 2 for a start. J K Rowling is clearly impressive in her fortitude to write so many words on the topic but I wonder why quite so much War and peace effort has been devoted to what, in the films, is just CGI based around a school. It doesn't have the Lemony Snickett's Series of Unfortunate Events kind of dark gothic splendour to it and that only got one film.

ReputationRep:
    The books are fantastic!! The movies? Not so much.

(Original post by smileygirlx)
      Oh my goodness! How can you not love Harry Potter?! Its got everything; magic, mystery and cute dwarf called Dobby!
      It's like saying 'i hate chocolate'!
      He's an house elf.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Mr Incredible)
      He's an house elf.
      you clearly love harry potter then!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by meenu89)
      I never understood the hype about it either.
      You don't understand anything beyond Boris.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by thevelvetonion)
      I only know a few people who don't like it. I think most people who like it, love it.
      How can someone love something and not like it?:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
      I find this quote a little amusing

"My best friend at Brown has never seen a 'Harry Potter' movie or read the books. And one guy I dated didn't know anything about the films, much less that I was one of the stars, which I found hilarious."
      -Emma Watson

How could he not have known? I'm having a hard time believing he's never seen a Hermione poster etc etc.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Luceria)
      I find this quote a little amusing

"My best friend at Brown has never seen a 'Harry Potter' movie or read the books. And one guy I dated didn't know anything about the films, much less that I was one of the stars, which I found hilarious."
      -Emma Watson

How could he not have known? I'm having a hard time believing he's never seen a Hermione poster etc etc.
      :lolwut: Not sure if she was being serious. :unsure:

Never seen, which probably means never heard of Harry Potter while living in States! :shock:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Concern'd Viewer)
      The fact is:
      Magic does not exist. This is the book's major flaw.
      The fact is: novel is about fiction. Fiction does not exist. It can **** you though.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by smileygirlx)
      you clearly love harry potter then!
      I love smiley girls.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by SoulfulBoy)
      How can someone love something and not like it?:rolleyes:
      I said people who like it love it. Not people who love it like it. You can like something without loving it..

ReputationRep:
      I like the books but not a big fan of the films but once i was forced into watching it and its actualy really gud

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by anfieldred07)
      Simple question really. Myself? Not a fan. I can see the attraction but it just doesn't stimulate me. Its very rare i come across somebody who doesn't like the films or books (or both) so i thought i would see the response on here.
      I'm completely in love with books. An ultimate book fan. However, reading Harry Potter I have to agree with you. I'm not into fantasy books and I think Harry Potter over-indulges in this whole fantasy of magic and etc.
      Sorry just not a fan.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.