Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    how unfortunate.
    you should be grateful that you have offers from the LSE and York.
    **** happens, get over it. we all will get rejections sooner or later, just accept it.
    i'm dissapointed that leeds rejected me because they were going to be my first choice. on the other hand i've recieved offers from liverpool and exeter.

ReputationRep:
    If you are indeed not a troll, then you might have been dropped because of your personality, attitude, or because they got the idea you weren't passionate about the subject.

(Original post by Martin_PPE)
      But on paper I am faultless (many other people from my school applied as we send lots of people onto Oxbridge and my qualifications were the highest out of all of them). I am going to telephone them tomorrow again and ask to speak to the professor who interviewed me.
      SO many people are faultless on people.

That's why they have interviews/admission tests.

:rolleyes:

My God.

(In fact just because you have perfect qualifications it doesn't make you the perfect student).

ReputationRep:
      It would have been obvious if he was putting on a brave face. I am good an analysing people and we genuinely did hit it off, so don't spout rubbish that you don't understand.
      I'm the one that doesn't understand? If you are 'good at analysing people' then why did you get rejected? This lack of logic thing you have going on might be one of the many possible reasons you didn't get in!

(Original post by AskMeAnything)
        I'm the one that doesn't understand? If you are 'good at analysing people' then why did you get rejected? This lack of logic thing you have going on might be one of the many possible reasons you didn't get in!
        Literally.

Reasoning ability: ability to analyse and solve problems using logical and critical approaches, ability to assess relevance, capacity to construct and critically assess arguments, flexibility and willingness to consider alternative views;

http://www.philosophy.ox.ac.uk/admis...ission_for_ppe

ReputationRep:
        1. but my revision suffered due to a skiing holiday, so i put this on the form).

2. but being turned down is ludicrous.

3. he has written a letter of complaint to the college

Martin
        1. what a RUBBISH excuse. in fact, its not even an excuse, its absolutely ridiculous and i cant believe you put that on your application
        2. GET OVER IT - you're not the only one and you were never guaranteed a place
        3. that's pathetic

in my eyes, you dont deserve a spot there anyway. get over it

ReputationRep:
        agreed (+rep)

ReputationRep:
        Hopefully I will find out why I was rejected tomorrow when I call them again. There's an outside chance it may have been a mistake anyway so I'll just have to wait and see.

ReputationRep:
        Hello all, this is my first post here so I will try to be as concise as possible to ensure I do not overcomplicate matters.

My name is Martin, and after much deliberation I decided that Oxford would be the university best suited to my planned study of PPE (philosophy, politics and economics in case you didn't know). Naturally, my school supported this decision and the head of sixth form contacted the college to let them know of my intentions to apply (school policy to ensure high acceptance rate).

So the time came to apply and I filled in my UCAS (7A*'s at GCSE, A* A* A predicted grades. Would have been more but my revision suffered due to a skiing holiday, so i put this on the form). As expected I was invited to interview pretty quickly unlike some of my peers who did not even get interviewed.

The interview went swimmingly, the interviewer even dropped heavy hints that I would be chosen, so, naturally, we planned for me to live in oxford and I began studying all the major historical happenings and we even bought a romper suit with the oxford university logo embossed in the lapel (straying off topic here).

I logged into UCAS on the 24th to find an 'unsuccessful' stamp on my application to oxford. Reeling with shock I immediately telephoned the college to have my say but I was told no-one would be there to answer my calls until after christmas, which, i'm sure you'll agree, is outrageous. The verbal contract me and the interviewer held has been shattered and i'm beginning to think oxbridge in general is as rubbish as people say. I wasn't sure I wanted to go there in the first place and having put trust in a university which has a reputation for apparently being 'the best' (...) but being turned down is ludicrous.

Could someone please explain why I might have been rejected considering the interviewer guaranteed me that I would be accepted (firm handshake, smiling etc)? I have spoken to my head of sixth form already and he has written a letter of complaint to the college that they have acted with misleading conduct. He said there's a chance I might get in if we prove that I have been misled. As it stands at the moment I have to hear back from York and I have an offer from LSE but both of these are subpar for the course I want to study so I feel lost and confused.

Thanks alot,

Martin
        You imbecile. Did it ever occur to you to lie?

ReputationRep:
        Bro, I think they liked you, but you just didn't have enough "pizazz."

ReputationRep:
        I really hope your not a troll because you fully deserve to had been rejected from oxford.

ReputationRep:
        Also, the LSE is subpar for PPE? The LSE is not subpar for ANYTHING. I cannot believe you even got in there; you do not deserve it.

ReputationRep:
        Hopefully I will find out why I was rejected tomorrow when I call them again. There's an outside chance it may have been a mistake anyway so I'll just have to wait and see.
        It won't be a mistake.

The interviewer will feel happy if his or her decision is an easy one, hence you obviously sucked hard. Sorry man.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by INTJ)
        You imbecile. Did it ever occur to you to lie?
        It's a lie, first off.
        Secondly, if in our fictional world, he got to interview, they must not have minded.
        Thirdly, lying your way into university? I wouldn't. I'd feel incorrect to take a place given to me by accident too. Say if Oxford gave me a place accidentally, then said "Well, we'll honour our letter" I'd say "Don't worry about it, I'll withdraw my application."

Or at least, I'd hope I would.

ReputationRep:
        People, we don't just have a troll OP; we have a male Veruca Salt on our hands! (Except instead of the doting parents, we've got the doting Head of Sixth Form. My oh my.)

Oxford sends out feedback letters in January regarding their decisions, so all applicants get to find out why they were accepted/rejected then. Just put down the phone and be patient like most of the other TSRians here, for crying out loud...

The interview, written work and additional testing all certainly play a significant part in the decisions we come to. Given that, typically, candidates will be amongst the very best in their school, and/or will present outstanding public examination results, these additional factors help us to make more informed decisions, sensitive to the particular aptitudes of each candidate. It’s not true, though, that the interview is always the most important single factor. It may be for some candidates that their performance at interview marks them out, and silences any doubts that may have been present due to perceived weaknesses noted elsewhere. On the other hand, candidates may have bad interviews – perhaps due to nerves – and on the strength of their excellence in other aspects of assessment they may still be offered a place. Overseas candidates may still be assessed without interview of any sort, though with improved telephone facilities it’s now quite rare for this to be the case. We take all factors (including proven examination performance) into account.

In joint degrees – and at Oxford all degrees involving philosophy are joint degrees – there will need to be agreement between the different branches of the degree. Someone may look like a talented philosopher, but if his or her ability at the chosen modern language is not good enough the candidate will not get a place. A strong performance in physics will be required from a physics and philosophy applicant. In PPE, or in Literae Humaniores, which cover a wide range of subjects and types of study, the rule of thumb is probably that successful candidates will show excellence somewhere, and no obvious weaknesses anywhere. It would be very rare for a PPE applicant to look outstandingly strong in all of philosophy, politics and economics; but they must be strong enough in all three to pass the first year, and strong enough in two to be likely to do well in the final examinations.

http://www.philosophy.ox.ac.uk/admis...rgraduate_faqs

Information for you OP. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by Miss Anonymous)
          yeh, you are right...!
          *suspicious*
          oh and it seems as if 'oxford_destiny' has disappeared now... coinciding with people realising he isn't for real...

ReputationRep:
          Poor troll is poor. Now bugger off.

ReputationRep:
          I don't mean any offence, but most who applied to Oxbridge from my school have a better academic record than you e.g. 11+ A*'s and pretty much perfect IB scores... To me it really doesn't seem surprising.

ReputationRep:
          It's bizarre that people should be rejected when they literally are the epiphany of perfect. I am the same, apart from the blemish in my GCSE record and my poor performance in my Economics AS (79%) and they have the gall, the cheek, to reject me. Who could possibly be better? You can't be telling me that Oxford receives 4,500 perfect applications? It's absolutely barmy. Someone should do an expose (maybe the daily mail perhaps?)
          You're not the "epiphany" (I think you mean epitome) of perfect if you have some dodgy grades at both GCSE and AS Level! These blemishes on your application along with your arrogance sound like a good enough reason for a rejection to me.

Your Oxford romper suit sounds delightful though - I hope you still wear it!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.