Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why has Nobody Been to The Moon for Over Forty Years? Watch

ReputationRep:
    The novelty value of going to the mood has long since past. As such, I imagine it would be implausible to assume the funding for something that's underfunded as it is (NASA). Besides, I think the original incentive to get to the moon was prove to the world, particularly the Russians, how technologically capable America was. With no cold war going on and space travel being old news, quite simply, what would be the point?

ReputationRep:
    no need to show off to the Soviets or distract from Vietnam War anymore.

ReputationRep:
    Because,suprisingly to the US governMent, it was discovered the Moonn was not Made of cheese and as such there plan to create a cheese Mine failed.

So yep nothing to see there !

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing to do there that can't be done robotically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lonelykatana)
    Nice one?

ReputationRep:
    Good lord the vast majority of this thread is hideously idiotic. Simple answer to the question is that now the novelty of lunar landings has gone away it's hard to get the American public to pay the costs. The public is stupid at the best of times and doesn't recognise all the scientific advances that came about as a result of the Apollo program, they just see it as a waste of money that could be spent on other things.

In the absence of a Soviet threat and the Space Race it thus becomes impossible to gain the political traction to achieve anything. Look at the Constellation program, it was a great program designed to establish a moon base and then get to Mars. It was cancelled because it cost too much and because there is an undercurrent in certain circles that robotic exploration is better (it's not).

The only way the USA is ever going to get serious about it's space program again is when the Chinese land on the moon (sometime in the late 2010's) and start seriously looking at Mars. This combined with rising tensions between the USA and China may well result in another Space Race if the USA can afford it by then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    The last lunar landing was in December 1972. But anyway, it's really expensive. NASA was planning to go with its "Constellation" program but it was cancelled not long ago They need to set up a lunar base to be honest, it would be a much more cost effective way of discovering more about long term travel in space, in the long run at least.
    This...

ReputationRep:
    I think you'll find I'm currently on said moon

ReputationRep:
    Wallace & Gromit went not too long ago, why didn't you join them?

ReputationRep:
    We should go again.
    it's been year and years, maybe somethings changed
    plus can't beat the view :cool:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.