Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Illegal downloading and file sharing IS theft, why don't you admit it? Watch

ReputationRep:
    The legal definition of theft is to permanently deprive someone of something. When you decide to do an unpaid download you aren't taking anything from the artist, they still have their track.

ReputationRep:
    I thought artists made the bulk of their money by touring and merch? :curious:

ReputationRep:
    Its stealing in the same way that people 30 years ago tapes songs from the radio, or how people taped TV shows on VCR. (i.e not stealing).

Why pay for something you might not like?

Download it first, if you really like it, go buy some of the bands merchandise or go buy their CD, or better still, go to a gig.

ReputationRep:
    It's not theft. It's sharing Illegal sharing.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    I don't pirate anything, but I do think that trying to stop it is a lost cause. There was no music industry worth speaking of for thousands and thousands of years, but it survived all that. Only in the past 100 years or so have the facilities for a music industry existed. So if the music industry in its current form "dies", or "is killed", as everybody is so worried about, we'd only be returning to the usual state of affairs. There's no way they are going to wipe out piracy, and they should probably spend the money they spend on preventing it on a developing better business model instead.

But I agree, it is stealing in the "illegally acquiring something for free that you'd normally pay for" - but is it illegal because it's wrong, or is it wrong because it's illegal? I'm undecided

ReputationRep:
    What is wrong with the musc in the charts these days?
    maybe you should be more open-minded to different genres!!!

ReputationRep:
    Quite frankly, any artist who threatens to stop performing/recording because of piracy is clearly only in it for the money. On principal, I buy only independant music, straight from the artist if possible. All of the major labels on earth could crash and burn tomorrow, and I would throw a ****ing street party.

Also, if anyone is interested, there is an app for uTorrent that searches various websites for music that artists have released for free and legally. Some of it is incredible. Also, if you're into acoustic/alt rock stuff, check out The Flashbulb. Once again, you can get his music for free online legally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sendaii)
    Also, if anyone is interested, there is an app for uTorrent that searches various websites for music that artists have released for free and legally. Some of it is incredible. Also, if you're into acoustic/alt rock stuff, check out The Flashbulb. Once again, you can get his music for free online legally.
    Have you got a link to this app?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beadle's About)
    C'mon people....you wouldn't kill off footballers' livelihoods if you were a football fan by not paying to get into a football match or by stealing a football shirt.
    no but I'd happily stream football matches over the internet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beadle's About)
    :blah:
    I sometimes (illegally) download music from bands that release extremely limited amounts. Say, for example, 50 tapes (yes, some people still use tapes).

What do you think of that? :holmes:
    Not that I actually give a **** because I disagree with what you're saying, but I want to hear what you have to say about the subject regardless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mm_Minty)
    I thought artists made the bulk of their money by touring and merch? :curious:
    They do. It's really the record companies that are losing out from illegal downloads, not the artists. Most artists (Metallica aside :teehee: ) probably don't give a toss.

ReputationRep:

This does not condone piracy in anyway but they are definitely not the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    I once read an article that actually said IF the music industry is suffering from piracy then it will actually help music. The reasons given were that record labels would then only spend money on the absolute best artists because they wouldn't be able to afford to give deals to average/crappy artists like they do now solely for the marketing and money making rather than to make genuinely great music.

Also because it means artists make the bulk of their money from touring and not CD/download sales, which also promotes the idea of only the best artists who are actually able to sing/perform live releasing music..unlike a lot of the artists today who rely on heavy studio editing and autotune.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobo06)
    Have you got a link to this app?
    You have to update uTorrent to the latest version to allow for apps, and then click the Apps button in the left-hand task bar. It should be on the first page, it is called ZuluMusic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sendaii)
    You have to update uTorrent to the latest version to allow for apps, and then click the Apps button in the left-hand task bar. It should be on the first page, it is called ZuluMusic.
    uTorrent has been asking me to update for months and I've never bothered...I've been missing out!
    Cheers

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.