Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Musician tour earnings released - more than footballers pay! (gasp) Watch

ReputationRep:
    And they have the hear to complain about illetal music download

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_E_X)
    I didn't know this, no. I thought (from all the media hype about how much footballers are paid) that they would be paid a lot more than musicians and more than other athletes: at the top level, neither of these things are true. Congratulations if you knew this already, sorry for wasting your time
    I always just worked it out by how much you pay for a ticket to see a top musician play. They're usually around £50~ whereas a ticket to see a football match at the top level is around ~£40. Football matches tend to happen about once a week whereas a top musician can play a show every other day, if not every day for period of about 3 or 4 months, twice a year usually. That's how I've always come to a conclusion, top musicians play more often.

As for merchandise football obviously comes out top on that one but I still wouldn't consider it enough to outweigh everything else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lemons)
    I think they are all overpaid, but I also think that musicians probably work harder for it. They are constantly on the road and that must be really hard for their family life, and most footballers don't have that kind of lifestyle.
    Err footballers at the top level generally start playing obsessively as kids (eg 4 or 5) and pretty much spend their entire life training and practising, how is that any different to a musician?

If anything its more physically demanding to be a footballer.

Not all musicians choose to tour or so extensively, only those who really enjoy it, do it.

Likewise with many young footballers, they leave behind their families and go abroad to ply their trade, this is in particular for young players from South America. Carlos Tevez has continuously talked about him being home sick and missing his children in Argentina.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_E_X)
    He's not a good source, he is motivated to make Tevez look like he is earning more than he is. I remember listening to that interview when it was released (I didn't listen again just now), but he is not a good source. I honestly don't believe the £286k figure.
    Search google for "tevez salary" and the amounts really do vary. The top result is from The Independent newspaper and quotes £150k/week, and doesn't mention tax. Yours is the only source quoting £286k and I do not think it is a reliable one.
    It's possible Marsh is telling porkies, but don't forget that as well as his salary Tevez got a hefty percentage of the transfer fee (£47million) - the "going rate" is 10%, but I bet Tevez got more. That is how Stan Collymore became the richest player in English football for a while back in 90s - 3 hefty transfers in 3 or 4 seasons.

ReputationRep:
    Musicians have to fund the tour by what they earn from it. Gaga may have earned that much from the touring, but how much has it cost her? She's currently running at a loss and hence why this tour is NEVER ENDING! They don't get that much from selling CD's anymore so touring is their way of life now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hothedgehog)
    I frankly don't care. Musicians spend hours moving themselves between places which is tiring, then they've got 2 hours of high powered shows to do every night, sound check and maintaining a life with their family and loved ones.
    You do realise they only do that when they decide on their touring schedule so that they can make the most money for themselves? No one is forcing them and they reap all the benefits.

Footballers do plenty of travelling as many games are played away from home, especially with the growth of European competitions means they are travelling further and further.

Time table wise, many football games are played twice a week and over this festive period they squeeze in even more games so there is a lot of preparation for each game, including training. Lots of players cant even enjoy a Xmas meal with their family since theyre on such restrictive diets and some even train on Xmas day.

They have to keep themselves at the top of their game so can't injure themselves or lose their voices or whatever and often they go on stage with problems when doctors tell them not to. Footballers have a restricted diet, some training at regular times and a football match every now and again. It's not like they've got a particularly disrupted lifestyle and if they get injured it's not the end of the world for them because they've got replacements.
    Err wtf..? You think footballers can just go injuring themselves? Players put themselves at risk physically every game and moreso when they are injured, some even take injections to make it through some games.

You do realise that these training sessions happen pretty much every day and are intensive in order to keep the players at top physical condition?

Footballers also do not have the massive trouble with massive initial costs of recording albums and so on that often hampers new musicians from breaking through to the 'mainstream'.
    Footballers also cant just go onto shows like the X factor and gain immediate success and fame. You do realise musicians dont front the costs themselves and record labels take the risk on them? Throw in the growth of the internet which gives musicians so much more exposure.

As well as that on a more personal point of view, I enjoy music and don't mind paying to see a gig which I enjoy. I couldn't care less for football and having watched some games footballers it's clear that some footballers are lazy, rude and unfit.
    :facepalm: Lot of people dont care about music and love football, it's not exactly a minority sport in terms of popularity.

You do realise there are probably more rude, aggressive, insulting and lazy musicians than footballers? I've seen plenty of clips showing how rude Justin Bieber is for example behind scenes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PurpleMonkeyDishwasher)
    A rather peurile way of putting it but musicians produce art which enriches the lives of the people who pay their wages. How in the same way can a top-earning footballer's wage be justified?

watch that and tell me that footballers don't enrich people's lives. I got chills just watching that video.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)
    They could play for Chatham for all I care, my statement is still true nonetheless; they weren't getting plaid for playing football when they were 8, they are now.
    And as someone already said, travelling from London to Newcastle is hardly a stretch when you consider that musicians have to travel all over the globe if they're doing such a tour.
    Footballers only have to do that if they're in one of the multi-country cups (Champions League et al).
    There is a huge difference between playing football at 8 years old and being a top professional player.There is huge devotion and dedication involved as well as a risk factor. Many have ditched further education to fufil their potential.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_E_X)
    Why? This is exactly what I mean, how do you determine who does 'deserve' it and who doesn't? If I had to choose between having no music to listen to or no football to watch for the rest of time, I would choose to watch football, every single time.
    That's your opinion. Personally I couldn't care less if football was completely wiped off the face of the earth, but I can't even go a day without listening to music.

Edit: I'm not arguing either for or against your point, btw. Merely stating my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)
    They could play for Chatham for all I care, my statement is still true nonetheless; they weren't getting plaid for playing football when they were 8, they are now.
    And as someone already said, travelling from London to Newcastle is hardly a stretch when you consider that musicians have to travel all over the globe if they're doing such a tour.
    Footballers only have to do that if they're in one of the multi-country cups (Champions League et al).
    All of your arguments are so shallow its a joke. Yes it may be true that only certain footballers play in multi-country caps but this thread is about the highest paid footballers and 90% of the highest paid footballers do play in such competitions. The exact same thing could be argued of musicians in that only the top musicians will be required to travel all over the globe on one of their tours. Your argument about footballers getting paid to do something they did before for free makes no sense. There are probably thousands of people in this country who make their own music and get no profit from it. I would also assume that at some point in their lives the top musicians did not make any money from some of the music they made.

ReputationRep:
    Someone once told me, that Lady Gaga concert tickets can completely sell out within five minutes of release! So if so many people are willing to buy them, then the artist may as well sell them really expensive.

I think maybe music tends to be generally a more popular interest than football, hence the musicians being paid more. Though, I'm sure footballers and musicians probably work as hard as each other. They entertain large audiences, so they deserve all their money.

ReputationRep:
    People who put up arguments about which type of people are overpaid are rather naive in my opinion.

Think about it. If you took an average if how much footballers across all tiers of English Football earn, it would be less than the national average. I have more knowledge in that field, however I'm sure it would be the same if you took all professional and semi-professional musicians. People who earn a lot of money in football are very few in number, relative to the total number of them in their field. Same goes for any field of work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    Someone once told me, that Lady Gaga concert tickets can completely sell out within five minutes of release! So if so many people are willing to buy them, then the artist may as well sell them really expensive.

I think maybe music tends to be generally a more popular interest than football, hence the musicians being paid more. Though, I'm sure footballers and musicians probably work as hard as each other. They entertain large audiences, so they deserve all their money.
    This is a great post, and basically a summary of (what I think) we have agreed upon on the last few pages. I'd +rep you if I could, but it always seems to say I have to wait until tomorrow until I can rep anyone again...then I go on a binge and waste it all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_E_X)
    This is a great post, and basically a summary of (what I think) we have agreed upon on the last few pages. I'd +rep you if I could, but it always seems to say I have to wait until tomorrow until I can rep anyone again...then I go on a binge and waste it all
    That's OK, thanks . I only scanned through the first two pages, but yeah, a lot of people in here have made some very good points :yep::yy:

ReputationRep:
    zomg but all they do is scream down a microphone more or less!!

And this is why I illegally download music happily.

ReputationRep:
      Let's all become communists.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Panda Bear)
      I want to defend the musicians here but really can't find an argument. The fact is they're all over paid.

Those acts charge ridiculous amounts of money for their gigs. It's stupid. But then when people are downloading their work left, right and centre for free I guess that's what happens.

Good thing the artists I like mostly charge respectable prices for their shows.
      Downloading music has nothing to do with it, artists have always made the vast majority of their earnings from live shows. On the other hand, the vast majority of money from the price of a CD goes to the record label and big business.

In short, if you want to support artists you're better off downloading their music for free and using the money you save to go to their gigs.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Alexx53)
      What is your point with the whole, 'they weren't getting paid when they were 8' thing?

Not many 8 year olds get paid (including most current musicians when they were 8)
      :dontknow:
      I can't remember. I think I said something along the lines of "When I played football aged 8 I called it a hobby", then said that the only difference between that and the footballers now is that they're getting paid for playing it.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by mermania)
      Yeah, they have to travel all over the globe while they're on tour.
      Footballers have to be willing to be bought and sold like commodities, to move permanently or at least for several years between different countries and cultures. It's a lot more difficult for a young Brazilian to leave his family and friends behind to move to a foreign country, with a foreign culture and a language he doesn't speak than it is for Rihanna to sail around in a tour bus with a massive entourage for a few months.
      A footballer doesn't have to do that though. They do it by choice, unless the club forces them out.
      I'm pretty sure Gerrard could've moved from Anfield years ago if he wanted to do so, but he hasn't.

A musician will have fans around the world, and even if a footballer had fans all over the world, I doubt they'd be inclined to go and play a match over there just to please the fans.
      For some musicians, it's all about pleasing the fans instead of selling out.
      SLF, for example, still sell gig tickets at around £14. Iron Maiden tickets, on the other hand, can sell for £50+. So really the "musicians earn more than footballers based on ticket sales" is completely subjective to the band/artist.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 31, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.