Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MoanyLisa)
    You've just gone from making the claim that "Somali's don't consider themselves black" - to basically "I don't consider Somali's black."

Somali's are black. Deal with it.
    All I'm saying is people are distinctive, it's hardly logical to group them under one banner. The truth is Somalis are biologically, linguistically and culturally different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amsie/)
    :eek: i'm not really offended... it's just weird there's about 16 million of us, it'd be ridiculous for us to be a separate race.
    yeah and pakistani people i find it confusing but have always classed myself as black
    http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:l...edb1372a65&t=1
    black???
    I don't know about black... but damm she is fine. If she's somalian - then she is actually the first somalian ever I've found attractive.

What is your reasoning, out with it, because you haven't produce a legit argument thus far.
    I don't need to, because it's based on my perception/opinion, and obviously I'm not alone on it because I have BLACK friends that think the same.

Some black people don't see somali's as black, get over it?

And I know somalians that don't see themselves as black either. when describing one of them, the first description is that their somalian - not that their black.

ReputationRep:
    If he is willing to convert then that's fine. But it should be because he believes in Islam and the beliefs.

ReputationRep:
    This thread makes me sick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amsie/)
    :eek: i'm not really offended... it's just weird there's about 16 million of us, it'd be ridiculous for us to be a separate race.
    yeah and pakistani people i find it confusing but have always classed myself as black
    http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:l...edb1372a65&t=1
    black???
    Yeah, what was it you said earlier to me about my point being "rubbish".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn11)
    I don't know about black... but damm she is fine. If she's somalian - then she is actually the first somalian ever I've found attractive.

I don't need to, because it's based on my perception/opinion, and obviously I'm not alone on it because I have BLACK friends that think the same.

Some black people don't see somali's as black, get over it?

And I know somalians that don't see themselves as black either. when describing one of them, the first description is that their somalian - not that their black.
    Just as I thought. I supposed we'll have to agree to disagree.
    I do still find it borderline offensive, but hey-ho.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mombasa Raha)
    All I'm saying is people are distinctive, it's hardly logical to group them under one banner. The truth is Somalis are biologically, linguistically and culturally distinctive from other people in Africa.
    The whole of Africa is biologically, linguistically and culturally different.
    If, by what you mean, is that Somali's differ from other black people in these ways. I think you'll find that all black people differ. A Gambian person will differ in all of these ways, to say a Black African American. But I'm not even sure if you'd consider either of these groups black anyways :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, except Somalia isn't in Arabia, and nationality =/ race.
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Somali's are black, get over it.
    When filling out a form, governmental or otherwise, when it comes to ethnicity we tick the Black African box, because that's what we are.
    What is your reasoning, out with it, because you haven't produce a legit argument thus far.
    The answer lies in genetics, not the colour of ones skin.

ReputationRep:
    Just as I thought. I supposed we'll have to agree to disagree.
    I do still find it borderline offensive, but hey-ho.
    Yeah well, I don't care.

There's obviously a difference, for example it could never be disputed on whether or not I'm black, cause I am.

But we'll leave it at that.

I'll just carrying believing and saying you're not black.

ReputationRep:
    The answer lies in genetics, not the colour of ones skin.
    This is a vague, obscure argument.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah well, I don't care.

There's obviously a difference, for example it could never be disputed on whether or not I'm black, cause I am.

But we'll leave it at that.

I'll just carrying believing and saying you're not black.
    Makes no difference to my life, so go ahead.

ReputationRep:
    Tell them to stop living in the 1950's.

ReputationRep:
    Makes no difference to my life, so go ahead.

You are not black.

ReputationRep:

You are not black.

:cry2::cry2::cry2::cry2::cry2:

:rofl:

Pathetic little boy.

ReputationRep:
    :cry2::cry2::cry2::cry2::cry2:

:rofl:

Pathetic little boy.
    Coming a strong black family.

It takes a lot more than words to offend me. <3

ReputationRep:
    Coming a strong black family.

It takes a lot more than words to offend me. <3
    Same here.

ReputationRep:
    This is a vague, obscure argument.
    I'm no genetics expert but here is a wiki article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somali_people#Genetics

And here's a snippet (paternal side genetics) - note this is somewhat representative of people from the Horn of Africa:

According to Y chromosome studies by Sanchez et al. (2005) and Cruciani et al. (2004), the Somalis are paternally closely related to certain Ethiopian groups, particularly Cushi(t)ic speakers:

"The data suggest that the male Somali population is a branch of the East African population closely related to the Oromos in Ethiopia and North Kenya with predominant E3b1 [E1b1b1] cluster lineages that were introduced into the Somali population 4000 5000 years ago, and that the Somali male population has approximately 15% Y chromosomes from Eurasia and approximately 5% from sub-Saharan Africa."

Besides comprising the majority of the Y DNA in Somalis, the E1b1b1a (formerly E3b1a) genetic haplogroup also makes up a significant proportion of the paternal DNA of Ethiopians, Sudanese, Egyptians, Berbers, North African Arabs, as well as many Mediterranean and Balkan Europeans.[33][34] The M78 subclade of E1b1b is found in about 77% of Somali males,[32] which, according to Cruciani et al. (2007), may represent the traces of an ancient migration into the Horn of Africa from Egypt/Libya.[35] After haplogroup E1b1b, the second most frequently occurring Y DNA haplogroup among Somalis is the Eurasian haplogroup T (M70),[36] which is found in slightly more than 10% of Somali males. Haplogroup T, like haplogroup E1b1b, is also typically found among populations of Northeast Africa, North Africa, the Near East and the Mediterranean.

Maternal side genetics:

mtDNA

According to mtDNA studies by Holden (2005) and Richards et al. (2006), a significant proportion of the maternal lineages of Somalis consists of the M1 haplogroup, which is common among Ethiopians and North Africans, particularly Egyptians and Algerians.[41][42] M1 is believed to have originated in Asia,[43] where its parent M clade represents the majority of mtDNA lineages[44] (particularly in India).[45] This haplogroup is also thought to possibly correlate with the Afro-Asiatic language family:

"We analysed mtDNA variation in ~250 persons from Libya, Somalia, and Congo/Zambia, as representatives of the three regions of interest. Our initial results indicate a sharp cline in M1 frequencies that generally does not extend into sub-Saharan Africa. While our North and especially East African samples contained frequencies of M1 over 20%, our sub-Saharan samples consisted almost entirely of the L1 or L2 haplogroups only. In addition, there existed a significant amount of homogeneity within the M1 haplogroup. This sharp cline indicates a history of little admixture between these regions. This could imply a more recent ancestry for M1 in Africa, as older lineages are more diverse and widespread by nature, and may be an indication of a back-migration into Africa from the Middle East."

ReputationRep:
    It's pretty sad to argue over "I'm black, you're not black RAWR"

We're all people :hippie:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by narusku)
    You should read Malorie Blakman's Noughts and crosses if only to give you an idea of the dystopia you would be contributing towards if you did not follow your heart
    I know right. It is so sad that Callum McGregor died and Sephy Hadley didn't hear him say that he loved her.

ReputationRep:
    I'm no genetics expert but here is a wiki article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somali_people#Genetics
    I understand and am aware of these diversities. However, by stating that Cushi'tic people are not black based on that would be, in my opinion, ridiculous. As your casting out the rest of our genetics. (As well as other Somali's of non-cushi'tic descent, such as Bantu Somali's.)
    And aside from that, no one in the world is 'purely' this or that. There aren't many 'races' in this world, and Somali's cannot be considered white, or asian, or whatever else. Black is the banner under which we fall most naturally, historically speaking and otherwise.
    There is somewhat of an obvious physical difference between Horn of Africa blacks and Western Africa blacks, but that's all it is. A Scandinavian is white, and so is a Spaniard, despite their obvious physical, cultural and language differences. And you won't find them arguing about whose white and who isn't. And that is also how they would describe themselves, not as "I'm white.", but as "I'm Spanish."
    I'm not into this dividing black people stuff, and neither should you be. I don't know where it came from and I find it dubious.

Perhaps you can make another thread about this, as this girls thread has been totally hijacked by us. If not, i'm outter here. I'm bored and I can see us going around and around in circles.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 29, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.