I chuckled to myself when I read this :L
Pastel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
As early as I can remember to about 10: Oasis, pulp, blur
10 ~ 12 : Nirvana
12~current: Soundtrack music (Gladiator, The matrix etc)
13~15: More Nirvana, Eminem, Radiohead
16~20 (current): Opeth
18~current: Tool, Katatonia, soundtrack music
19~current: Dubstep
inksplodge
  • CV Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
12-16 a lot of rock and indie, now i like pop music
Ano1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
age 6 - hated music, i hated my sister playing spice girls. i HATED music.

age 9 - familiar with michael jackson and his greatest hits.. like black or white, billie jean etc.

age 10 - hip hop. started with 2pac, nas, dr dre/nwa, wu tang, gang starr.

22 now. still listen to hip hop. i appreciate other genres like rock, reggae, and random world music like from asia and south america. i hate techno/club/commercial music. always have.
CherryCherryBoomBoom
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Up until the age of 15, I strictly only really listened to mainstream R&B, dance and pop. Then I discovered online music and started to listen to a teeny weeny bit of rock/metal, some folk, and also some R&B, pop and dance that's not so mainstream. So no massive changes really.
Mysteriouschic
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I used to love S Club 7 , Steps and Nsync , Westlife, Britney spears , Blue really into pop .
I didn't like R&B , liked a small bit of rap.
In the teens I started getting into rave music for about a year and pop rock and I like alternative rock an dance.

Now I still listen to Britney Spears. I'm really into dance, mainstream and pop and alternative rock like All American Rejects , The Script , Lifehouse , Daughtry, Coldplay. Only listen to Eminem rap nothing else. I like a mixture really . But my fave is dance or rock or some pop songs.
concubine
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
My taste in music regresses.
NihilisticMystics
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Age 11- I was given Avril Lavigne's debut album, and I liked the 'grunger' aesthetic, which led to Good Charlotte, Blink 182 et al.

Age 12- I got into The Vines, Nirvana, Queens of the Stone Age, System of a Down and Muse. Big sister's much needed influence

13- I became a goth haha. I liked actual goth rock though, lots of Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees type stuff (never Sisters of Mercy though, I just really don't get the fuss over them). Through goth rock, batcave and death rock I discovered proper punk music as well as post-punk stuff like Joy Division and The Smiths. I was also into Prodigy in a big way, and still liked the stuff my sister got me into. I like to think I had very well developed taste at this age, I couldn't stand MCR or any of the other stuff the 'alternative' kids liked.

15/16- Made friends with some of the Cool Kids, getting into British hip hop and grime. My main group of friends were into all the current indie stuff, so I started listening to Bloc Party, Arctic Monkeys etc. which led to less well known indie stuff.

I'm 19 now and still into everything except for the stuff I liked at 11. I like a lot of 'oldies' now too, like The Beatles, Bob Dylan and 50's/60's r'n'b. I lean more towards indie than the goth rock stuff but I still have loads of 'goth s**t' on my iPod
NihilisticMystics
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
WOAH WOAH WOAH I didn't realise how old this thread was sorry, I was trawling through the music pages and left the computer for a bit, I forgot
Picnic1
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
1985- heard Hounds of Love by Kate Bush on the radio. Very intrigued (I was only 7).
For the next few years, I listened to quite a bit of Stock Aitken and Waterman who seemed to be dominating British radio e.g Kylie Minogue (and in the years when she was unfashionable- I don't like her now), Rick Astley, Mel and Kim.
1990/1991- Bought my first records- Nessun Dorma sung by Pavarotti and Saviour's Day by Cliff Richard
Early 90s- got in to arguably my favourite band overall, R.E.M., via Out of Time / Peter Gabriel/ Crowded House.
Mid 90s- Listened to a lot of Britpop at university.

Since then listened to a lot of 60s music e.g. The Doors., Pink Floyd,
eihpos95
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
When I was really young I used to love the Spice Girls and all those kind of pop classics. :')
I didn't even really care about music that much until I was about 11 - even then I just kind of listened to music when I was in the car or on the computer, I didn't have an mp3 player or anything, lol.
Around year 6 and 7 though I think I was into Girls Aloud, McFly, those kind of mainstream pop bands.
I used to be really into Avril Lavigne around year 7/8, which was more rock (well, what I thought was rock at the time, hahaha) which led me to Panic at the Disco, Evanescence and My Chemical Romance, my little emo phase. :') I used to absolutely worship MCR for pretty much all of 2008, lmfao. I found Paramore around that time too and I still listen to them.
The beginning of year 9 though, I discovered No Doubt and basically played Tragic Kingdom on repeat for months and months, lol. They're still my all-time favourite band.
That led me onto finding other new wave sort of bands, and I also really liked ska music for a while. Leading up to now in year 11, where my three favourite bands are No Doubt, Garbage and The Sounds - my music taste now is so diverse thanks to all those different periods, lol.
Manitude
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
5-8 ~ Mike and the Mechanics (only music I would listen to!)
8-11 ~ didn't really care for music. I knew I sort of liked rock music but didn't really have a "favourite" band.
11-12 ~ got a walkman with the second Good Charlotte album (cringe worthy I know) Soon afterwards discovered linkin park and the rasmus. Also got one of the first genesis albums which I loved
12-15 ~ the rasmus became my favourite band. I started listening to a bit more progressive music, eventually discovered Wishbone Ash.
15-17 ~ starting going off the rasmus because of their dire 7th album. Still listen to the first three albums though. I think in year 11 or at the end of year 10 I listened to a Finntroll song and thus began my love with metal, particularly folk metal. Started getting into Mark knopfler when I was 17. Still love wishbone ash.
17-18(now-ish) ~ Metal tastes moving towards black metal. Still really enjoy mark knopfler (listening to him now in fact) and wishbone ash are my favourite band.

I tried to group things as much as I can remember - there's a lot of bands missing but I think I got the most important ones.
Pi!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Malkmus)

For more details: Click here.
Your musical compatibility with waytey89 is Super

Music you have in common includes Pavement, My Bloody Valentine, Sleigh Bells, Los Campesinos! and Joy Division.

I love Pavement.

The usual:
Kid pop (Spice Girls, etc.)
then pop rock (Avril Lavigne, Blink 182, Sum 41, Good Charlotte,etc)
then indie/rock (Foals, Radiohead, Los Campesinos!, Sleigh Bells, Pavement, etc.)
Niwde
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
As a child my dad always played electronic music, nothing too obscure, just Kraftwerk, Chemical Brothers and Daft Punk. I never really listened to my own music, but I watched Top Of The Pops all the time.

Then when I was about 10-11 I was into 90s grunge music, mostly Placebo and Nirvana.

Then I sorta stopped listening to music and then when I was about 14 I started getting obssessed with certain tracks, I played 'Stupid Girl' by Garbage incessantly. I started downloading random songs that I liked, but I didn't become attached to any particular artist.

When I was about 15 I then got into Kate Bush. I remember hearing 'This Woman's Work' but I didn't know the name of the song so I looked around on YouTube for it. By doing this I stumbled on 'Running Up That Hill' which just grabbed me immediately. I then started buying Kate Bush albums from HMV.. I also got into MGMT which were popular at the time, and I bought their album too.

Now i'm 19 i'm obssessed with music. My taste isn't really defined to one genre but I tend to like electronic music, and danceable music of any kind, such as Crystal Castles, The Avalanches, lots of trancey stuff. I also quite like a lot of dark depressing music, but it always has to be emotionally poignant, I love Portishead, Burial, those kind of night-time songs. I tend to dislike those singer-songwriters who just sit there with a guitar, it's just very boring and limiting. I really don't like Mumford and Sons, I hate retro stuff like that, so many bands are trying to be old fashioned and use fifties microphones and doo-wap clothes, it's just irritating.

Here is my lastfm, I only started it a week ago so it isn't really an accurate representation of what I listen to generally, just the stuff i've listened to over the past week.
peacefrog16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My music taste has always been pretty consistant. Even when I was 7/8 my favourite bands/artists were Queen, the Beatles, Bob Marley, Elvis Presley. I did go through a period when I was 14/15 of only listening to Hip Hop/Rap. I'm quite fortunate in that both my parents have great tastes in music and i've grown up listening to it.
concubine
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Niwde)
As a child my dad always played electronic music, nothing too obscure, just Kraftwerk, Chemical Brothers and Daft Punk. I never really listened to my own music, but I watched Top Of The Pops all the time.

Then when I was about 10-11 I was into 90s grunge music, mostly Placebo and Nirvana.

Then I sorta stopped listening to music and then when I was about 14 I started getting obssessed with certain tracks, I played 'Stupid Girl' by Garbage incessantly. I started downloading random songs that I liked, but I didn't become attached to any particular artist.

When I was about 15 I then got into Kate Bush. I remember hearing 'This Woman's Work' but I didn't know the name of the song so I looked around on YouTube for it. By doing this I stumbled on 'Running Up That Hill' which just grabbed me immediately. I then started buying Kate Bush albums from HMV.. I also got into MGMT which were popular at the time, and I bought their album too.

Now i'm 19 i'm obssessed with music. My taste isn't really defined to one genre but I tend to like electronic music, and danceable music of any kind, such as Crystal Castles, The Avalanches, lots of trancey stuff. I also quite like a lot of dark depressing music, but it always has to be emotionally poignant, I love Portishead, Burial, those kind of night-time songs. I tend to dislike those singer-songwriters who just sit there with a guitar, it's just very boring and limiting. I really don't like Mumford and Sons, I hate retro stuff like that, so many bands are trying to be old fashioned and use fifties microphones and doo-wap clothes, it's just irritating.

Here is my lastfm, I only started it a week ago so it isn't really an accurate representation of what I listen to generally, just the stuff i've listened to over the past week.

Your musical compatibility with edwinfry is VERY LOW

Which is kinda odd, as I really like Portishead, Interpol, The Avalanches and Flying Lotus.

WAY TO GO LAST.FM.
Malkmus
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Pi!)
Your musical compatibility with waytey89 is Super

Music you have in common includes Pavement, My Bloody Valentine, Sleigh Bells, Los Campesinos! and Joy Division.

I love Pavement.

The usual:
Kid pop (Spice Girls, etc.)
then pop rock (Avril Lavigne, Blink 182, Sum 41, Good Charlotte,etc)
then indie/rock (Foals, Radiohead, Los Campesinos!, Sleigh Bells, Pavement, etc.)
+rep. They're probably my favourite band of all-time. (hence the username).
SoftMusk
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
age 7-11 - hated music lolz

age 12-15 - hip hop, rnb, rap etc

16+ - Rock, dark electro, metal (:
blair turgott
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Under 12: Busted, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Greenday

11, 12 and a little when I was 13: Emo music

13, 14, 15: Cheezy, terrible pop music

late 15 and 16: Mainstream rnb and a little rap

late 16 and 17: Pretty similar but a little more into rap over rnb

mid 17 and 18: Underground hip hop

So yeah my taste has changed loads, and looking back on things, I used to have an absolutely horrible taste in music and I really did not know what 'talent' meant in music!
2ndClass
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hip Hop

Drum & Bass- old school sh*t, hate the new stuff

Bassline- I can't believe how much I love this genre, it's very rare that I run into a bad song

Conclusion- basshead from the beginning to the end
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (377)
37.44%
No - but I will (77)
7.65%
No - I don't want to (71)
7.05%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (482)
47.86%

Watched Threads