More Rejections than Offers? Advice and Support *Here* Watch

feverrobotics
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Muffinz)
First of all - RELAX! CHILL OUT! You are in a fortunate position and have offers from some very good universities. YOU HAVE NOT PULLED THE SHORT STRAW!

What is it about QMUL that's making you stressed? You obviously want to be in London, and QMUL is a very well reputed course and university. Are you being afflicted by the residue of superiority that TSR has, that you could only go to KCL or UCL or be a failure? You should realise, if this is the case, that TSR is filled with overachievers and that you only hear their view. You have offers from the university of London!! Many people would kill to be in your shoes. Relax.

Look at the university itself, compare it with Goldsmiths, and take time to think about it. There's no rush.

If you're having doubts about your course then I'd definitely drop out and take a gap year - if you look at the way the new fees are structured the repayment really isn't bad. Bear in mind that you have until your university terms starts to cancel your place and student finance without any repercussions.

If I was you (I did a similar thing last year) I would think about accepting my place, go visit, firm something up and do student finance. You may change your mind about the whole thing and, if not, you can always cancel your place on results day and reapply.

The world is your oyster at the minute. You don't have to make a split decision. Relax!! Best of luck with your choices xx
Thankyou so so much, I actually can't thankyou enough for taking the time to write this. I think the student room can have its good and bad points when researching unis, I've wanted to study in London all my life and now I've actually possibly got the chance to do it its really scaring me, mostly factors like not getting accommodation and paying extortionate amounts! People all around me keep telling me 'LONDON IS SOOOO EXPENSIVE' but really its the only place I'd want to go apart from possibly Brighton.
I'm not too bothered about KCL and UCL now, QMUL has a really great course for what I want and I suppose all I can do now is work bloody hard to get the grades and see what happens. But really, what you have said has reassured me massively .
oxymoronic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by CharlyM)
Got an offer from Edinburgh yesterday
Have firmed it (not that I had any other option)....
Well done! How do you feel now?

(And obviously Edinburgh is the best choice to make even if you have 5 offers. I'm not biased at all )
CharlyM
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by oxymoronic)
Well done! How do you feel now?

(And obviously Edinburgh is the best choice to make even if you have 5 offers. I'm not biased at all )
I feel so relieved! I can't wait to go now.
Hahaha, of course!!
Minerva
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by CharlyM)
Got an offer from Edinburgh yesterday
Have firmed it (not that I had any other option)....
That is EXCELLENT news. So pleased that your patience was rewarded - well done
Ambs
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I have received all my replies now: three rejections and two offers. Since I was expecting not to get any offers I have already been thinking about which universities I should apply to next year, how I could improve my application and even thinking about applying to the US.

In the end I did get two offers, but the problem is that I changed my mind about those universities. I know this sounds like a horrible thing to say in a year when so many people ended up without any offers at all, but I really had a change of heart and don't think I would like to go anymore. I know that they are both good universities and I know that at 21 I should get a move-on with my life, but it is very, very difficult to accept that the one goal I seemed to have in life will never be fulfilled. Studying at a top university has really become my one and only dream over the past few years when I was serioiusly ill and unable to study, and even long before that. I know that it's silly to place all your hopes and dreams on something so seemingly unimportant, but studying is the only thing I'm really good at and attending a great university has been the only dream I allowed myself to have, because (and I know I'm a pretentios fool for thinking this) I honestly thought it was a lot easier than it is.

I really don't know what to do now. On the one hand I would love to reapply and give myself one more shot at getting what I want, but on the other hand I know it could be a very bad decision that I might end up regretting. Having been through this years' application cycle has taught me that there are no guarantees whatsoever when it comes to certain universities, and I know I might well end up without any offers at all next year. I have no idea what I should do, and I know I should make this decision rather soon.

I'm so sorry for the incredibly long post; please feel free to ignore me, especialy if this is the wrong thread for this I would really appreciate someone else's thoughts or advice on this, or hear from people in a similar position. Thanks in advance!
Noodlzzz
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Ambs)
I have received all my replies now: three rejections and two offers. Since I was expecting not to get any offers I have already been thinking about which universities I should apply to next year, how I could improve my application and even thinking about applying to the US.

In the end I did get two offers, but the problem is that I changed my mind about those universities. I know this sounds like a horrible thing to say in a year when so many people ended up without any offers at all, but I really had a change of heart and don't think I would like to go anymore. I know that they are both good universities and I know that at 21 I should get a move-on with my life, but it is very, very difficult to accept that the one goal I seemed to have in life will never be fulfilled. Studying at a top university has really become my one and only dream over the past few years when I was serioiusly ill and unable to study, and even long before that. I know that it's silly to place all your hopes and dreams on something so seemingly unimportant, but studying is the only thing I'm really good at and attending a great university has been the only dream I allowed myself to have, because (and I know I'm a pretentios fool for thinking this) I honestly thought it was a lot easier than it is.

I really don't know what to do now. On the one hand I would love to reapply and give myself one more shot at getting what I want, but on the other hand I know it could be a very bad decision that I might end up regretting. Having been through this years' application cycle has taught me that there are no guarantees whatsoever when it comes to certain universities, and I know I might well end up without any offers at all next year. I have no idea what I should do, and I know I should make this decision rather soon.

I'm so sorry for the incredibly long post; please feel free to ignore me, especialy if this is the wrong thread for this I would really appreciate someone else's thoughts or advice on this, or hear from people in a similar position. Thanks in advance!
Out of curiosity, where did you apply?
Minerva
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ambs)

First of all, it's not the end of the world if you don't get to uni at 21, or even 31 (I should know!), so don't feel pressured to make a decision on that basis.

What you can do now is accept the offers you do have - or one of them, assuming they're unconditional - by the May deadline. Leave it as late as you like as long as you meet it. If come August and Results Day you really don't want to go there after all, you can withdraw altogether and go round again in another year.

As to what a 'great' university means, it may be that you've got a bit hooked up on brand or profile. My view is that a great university is one that allows you, as an individual, to find out what really interests you in your chosen subject, and enables you to achieve your potential. A university does not have to be in the top ten of some random league table in order to do this. Some of the best uni experiences I've heard of happened at so-called 'lesser' unis - Hull, Lancaster, Leicester, Queen Mary for instance. By contrast, there have been sad stories on here of people who have been totally miserable at Oxbridge - not just fresher's blues, but so bad that they've ended up dropping out.

As you are recovering from being seriously ill I would also suggest that you have a look at the uni's reputation for pastoral care - some are much better at this than others. It's understandable that you've focused on the 'one thing' you think you're good at, but as your recovery progresses you will find others - indeed, a 'great' uni for you will give you space to do that. So somewhere that is very study intensive may not in fact be the best choice. Also, I would be cautious about applying to the US - again, while you are recovering from a serious illness is not the best time to remove yourself from your existing support structures and branch out entirely on your own.
Ambs
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Noodlzzz)
Out of curiosity, where did you apply?
Oxford, Edinburgh, St. Andrews, Royal Holloway and Aberdeen. A few things I read on here and elsewhere have made me a lot less enthusiastic about going to Aberdeen or Royal Holloway (who initially rejected me, then gave me an unconditional and then gave me a few strange conditions :confused:). To be honest (and I know I'll sound really arrogant): I was expecting to get into one of the first three, and thought it would never come to me having to decide between the last two. The educational system is so different here in Belgium that I completely underestimated how competetive admissions really are.

By the way, is it possible that I remember you from the Oxford applicants thread?

(Original post by Minerva)
First of all, it's not the end of the world if you don't get to uni at 21, or even 31 (I should know!), so don't feel pressured to make a decision on that basis.

What you can do now is accept the offers you do have - or one of them, assuming they're unconditional - by the May deadline. Leave it as late as you like as long as you meet it. If come August and Results Day you really don't want to go there after all, you can withdraw altogether and go round again in another year.

As to what a 'great' university means, it may be that you've got a bit hooked up on brand or profile. My view is that a great university is one that allows you, as an individual, to find out what really interests you in your chosen subject, and enables you to achieve your potential. A university does not have to be in the top ten of some random league table in order to do this. Some of the best uni experiences I've heard of happened at so-called 'lesser' unis - Hull, Lancaster, Leicester, Queen Mary for instance. By contrast, there have been sad stories on here of people who have been totally miserable at Oxbridge - not just fresher's blues, but so bad that they've ended up dropping out.

As you are recovering from being seriously ill I would also suggest that you have a look at the uni's reputation for pastoral care - some are much better at this than others. It's understandable that you've focused on the 'one thing' you think you're good at, but as your recovery progresses you will find others - indeed, a 'great' uni for you will give you space to do that. So somewhere that is very study intensive may not in fact be the best choice. Also, I would be cautious about applying to the US - again, while you are recovering from a serious illness is not the best time to remove yourself from your existing support structures and branch out entirely on your own.
Thank you very much for your advice. I think you are right; I probably am placing a bit too much importance on prestige. Not that it's 'Oxbridge or nowhere', but I have to admit that league tables matter more for me than they probably should. It almost feels as if I have something to prove to myself and the world, especially singe I feel that studying is the only thing I'm any good at.

Also, since I'm an international student it is important for me that people here will actually have heard from the university (job prospect wise), and it also just turns out that the universities that really appeal to me are the most competetive ones. I thought I would love to go to Royal Holloway or Aberdeen, but I didn't do enough research before applying and now found out a few things that made me change my mind.

Pastoral care is indeed important for me, and I have been in touch with many universities before finalising my decisions. It turned out that the universities that I was expecting to be the least concerned were offering the most support, and the ones that I actually got offers from don't seem to be that understanding. However, the most important thing for me (more so than pastoral care) is that I would enjoy the course, and I would really want to go somewhere where I would be challenged and pushed to do my utmost.

About the US: it's only a recent idea, and I'm not entirely sure yet. I am a bit concerned about my parents; after all that's happened I know they would be worried, but I have been sick and at home for so long that, now that I'm cured, I really feel like I need something entirely new and the courses at the US sound brilliant. I know that it'll be drastic, but since it's 18 more months before I would actually go (in case I got an offer) I think I would manage. I'm planning to take SAT's next month, so that in case my health remains stable and I still want it by the end of this year I could apply if I wanted to.

Again, thanks so much for your advice - I really don't know how often you've helped me out these past months, but it's been a lot! I think I'll indeed firm of the two and spend the next few months trying to decide what to do
Noodlzzz
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Ambs)
Oxford, Edinburgh, St. Andrews, Royal Holloway and Aberdeen. A few things I read on here and elsewhere have made me a lot less enthusiastic about going to Aberdeen or Royal Holloway (who initially rejected me, then gave me an unconditional and then gave me a few strange conditions :confused:). To be honest (and I know I'll sound really arrogant): I was expecting to get into one of the first three, and thought it would never come to me having to decide between the last two. The educational system is so different here in Belgium that I completely underestimated how competetive admissions really are.

By the way, is it possible that I remember you from the Oxford applicants thread?
Yes, I'm a fellow Oxford reject :P

Have you got feedback from the unis? If you do reapply then you know where you went wrong the first time around.

Have you visited either of the 2 yet? When I went to visit RHUL, it was completely different from what I'd expected or read (not necessarily for the positive, sorry!)
Ambs
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yes, I'm a fellow Oxford reject :P

Have you got feedback from the unis? If you do reapply then you know where you went wrong the first time around.

Have you visited either of the 2 yet? When I went to visit RHUL, it was completely different from what I'd expected or read (not necessarily for the positive, sorry!)
Yeah, I did. The Oxford one was very nice and encouraging, and at least they pointed out exactly what I did wrong. the admissions tutor at Royal Holloway had misread something on my UCAS form and said that was the reason, but they gave me an offer when I cleared it up. Edinburgh rejected me for the same reason, but said that they could not accept new information and that, even though it was a misunderstanding, they wouldn't reconsider me - so no real feedback there. St. Andrews just said there was too much competition and didn't give me a particular reason.

I haven't, and unfortunately I can't before the May deadline (I'm having an operation in less than two weeks, and I can't afford the last-minute prices). No, thanks for saying that - I have to make do with what other tell me about the places, so I'm thankful for every snippet of info I can get!

Which universities did you get offers from? And are you firming one of them? I really hope things worked out for you That was a nice thread until our dreams got shattered, wasn't it?
Noodlzzz
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Ambs)
Yeah, I did. The Oxford one was very nice and encouraging, and at least they pointed out exactly what I did wrong. the admissions tutor at Royal Holloway had misread something on my UCAS form and said that was the reason, but they gave me an offer when I cleared it up. Edinburgh rejected me for the same reason, but said that they could not accept new information and that, even though it was a misunderstanding, they wouldn't reconsider me - so no real feedback there. St. Andrews just said there was too much competition and didn't give me a particular reason.

I haven't, and unfortunately I can't before the May deadline (I'm having an operation in less than two weeks, and I can't afford the last-minute prices). No, thanks for saying that - I have to make do with what other tell me about the places, so I'm thankful for every snippet of info I can get!

Which universities did you get offers from? And are you firming one of them? I really hope things worked out for you That was a nice thread until our dreams got shattered, wasn't it?
Why don't you check with St.Andrews about the new info? They might give you an offer like RHUL. Are you planning on reapplying next year then? Best of luck with whatever you decide

Offers from RHUL, Durham and a sneaky offer after rejection from UCL, which I'm now firming. I'm very lucky to a)get an offer in the first place b) have my rejection reconsidered but the whole oxbridge thing is definitely at the back of my head still :rolleyes:
Ambs
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Why don't you check with St.Andrews about the new info? They might give you an offer like RHUL. Are you planning on reapplying next year then? Best of luck with whatever you decide

Offers from RHUL, Durham and a sneaky offer after rejection from UCL, which I'm now firming. I'm very lucky to a)get an offer in the first place b) have my rejection reconsidered but the whole oxbridge thing is definitely at the back of my head still :rolleyes:
I sent them an email when I found out what happened at RHUL, and they said they would put it with the rest of my application. When I asked for feedback I specifically asked if it had nothing to do with that misunderstanding, but they didn't even mention it in their reply. To be honest, the feedback sounded very general and not at all specific to my application (especially since they answered none of my questions), but I don't think asking them again would make much of a difference.

Wow, congratulations! UCL sounds like an amazing university, especially with the tutorial system - and well done on making them change their mind! I'm sorry you didn't get into Oxford, and as you might have noticed from my overly long posts I know how you feel. I think that it's the interview that makes it so difficult for people to get over the rejection; it made me realise exactly how badly I wanted it. Everything was about twice as nice and exciting as I was expecting it to be, so the 'no' hit twice as hard.
Noodlzzz
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Ambs)
I sent them an email when I found out what happened at RHUL, and they said they would put it with the rest of my application. When I asked for feedback I specifically asked if it had nothing to do with that misunderstanding, but they didn't even mention it in their reply. To be honest, the feedback sounded very general and not at all specific to my application (especially since they answered none of my questions), but I don't think asking them again would make much of a difference.

Wow, congratulations! UCL sounds like an amazing university, especially with the tutorial system - and well done on making them change their mind! I'm sorry you didn't get into Oxford, and as you might have noticed from my overly long posts I know how you feel. I think that it's the interview that makes it so difficult for people to get over the rejection; it made me realise exactly how badly I wanted it. Everything was about twice as nice and exciting as I was expecting it to be, so the 'no' hit twice as hard.
Ah ok, what's the plan now then?

Stupid interviews made me fall in love I got over my other 2 rejections in a matter of hours as I hadn't visited either!
Ambs
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Ah ok, what's the plan now then?

Stupid interviews made me fall in love I got over my other 2 rejections in a matter of hours as I hadn't visited either!
Sorry, I forgot to answer that part :facepalm: I think I'll go for Athena's advice and firm one of the two, and then try to make a decision over the summer. I really thought 'firming' a university was like some sort of contract, so it's nice to know there's a bit more time! I'm definitely taking SAT's next month just in case, but I don't know yet if I'll be reapplying. On the one hand I really want it, on the other I know I might end up in the exact same situation (or worse!) next year, so I'm scared to do it.

I got over Edinburgh fairly quickly, but the other two really hurt. It took a few days before I could actually tell people about the Oxford rejection without bursting into tears
Minerva
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ambs)

Thank you very much for your advice. I think you are right; I probably am placing a bit too much importance on prestige. Not that it's 'Oxbridge or nowhere', but I have to admit that league tables matter more for me than they probably should. It almost feels as if I have something to prove to myself and the world, especially singe I feel that studying is the only thing I'm any good at.

Also, since I'm an international student it is important for me that people here will actually have heard from the university (job prospect wise), and it also just turns out that the universities that really appeal to me are the most competetive ones. I thought I would love to go to Royal Holloway or Aberdeen, but I didn't do enough research before applying and now found out a few things that made me change my mind.

Pastoral care is indeed important for me, and I have been in touch with many universities before finalising my decisions. It turned out that the universities that I was expecting to be the least concerned were offering the most support, and the ones that I actually got offers from don't seem to be that understanding. However, the most important thing for me (more so than pastoral care) is that I would enjoy the course, and I would really want to go somewhere where I would be challenged and pushed to do my utmost.

About the US: it's only a recent idea, and I'm not entirely sure yet. I am a bit concerned about my parents; after all that's happened I know they would be worried, but I have been sick and at home for so long that, now that I'm cured, I really feel like I need something entirely new and the courses at the US sound brilliant. I know that it'll be drastic, but since it's 18 more months before I would actually go (in case I got an offer) I think I would manage. I'm planning to take SAT's next month, so that in case my health remains stable and I still want it by the end of this year I could apply if I wanted to.

Again, thanks so much for your advice - I really don't know how often you've helped me out these past months, but it's been a lot! I think I'll indeed firm of the two and spend the next few months trying to decide what to do
Glad I've been able to help
Moooooooose
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I've only had one offer so far, and two rejections. The offer is from my last choice uni though so I don't know if I really want to accept it, argh. I didn't think it would come to this. Just waiting to be rejected by my first choice uni now, which will inevetably happen as I had a terrible interview for it
mickeyb
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by eve_bg)
How can anyone with 96% and 100% in As get 5 rejections? :eek::mad:
I got !00% in 2 AS papers last summer and still managed four out of five rejections
for Economics

Question for Minerva (or anyone else) based on your original post. I had really good feedback from one Uni which suggested that PS and predicted grades all good but problem was GCSE profile. Can't see any way of doing anything about this two years down the line?? Do people do GCSE retakes for the sake of reapplying to Uni?
oxymoronic
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by mickeyb)
Question for Minerva (or anyone else) based on your original post. I had really good feedback from one Uni which suggested that PS and predicted grades all good but problem was GCSE profile. Can't see any way of doing anything about this two years down the line?? Do people do GCSE retakes for the sake of reapplying to Uni?
Not really, no. Unless you mean the general English/maths/science ones as you'll need them for applying for most jobs after university. If you're looking at universities that require a GCSE in a language this is something you can do in a year out.

I assume at the moment you're applying based on predictions and depending on your school's policy, your AS grades may not be available either which means they've only really got your GCSEs and some predictions to go on. If you reapply next year, this is something that will be counter balanced a wee bit when you have your final grades in your hand. However, there are some universities who do have strict GCSE requirements (LSE being one of them) so it would be advisable to steer clear of these universities if you don't have the GCSEs they require or regard as "recommended/desirable". Similarly, many universities will ask for a A or A* in GCSE Maths if it isn't taken at A level, so again, this is something you need to pay attention to as well.

If there are specific reasons why your grades are low then you should have this addressed by your referee. However, it depends what you're classifying as "low" because given your A level profile, I don't have reason to think your GCSEs were low at all in so far as GCSEs go.
WeekendOffender
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
sdoyle86993
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Going through Extra worked for me! Got a place at the University of Surrey doing the course I wanted. I'm so chuffed! Hope everyone else does well!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.74%
No - but I will (102)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.84%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (635)
47.74%

Watched Threads