Turn on thread page Beta

Overpopulation, man up and accept its the problem watch

ReputationRep:
    We should invest heavily in space exploration.

ReputationRep:
    Nature has its ways in controlling our population (and life on this planet) anyways so I don't really think its a problem that we should really deal with.

ReputationRep:
    Overpopulation will only become a problem when the extent of its effect is admired.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by captnibby1234)
    Nature has its ways in controlling our population (and life on this planet) anyways so I don't really think its a problem that we should really deal with.
    So cruel, But sadly true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TobeTheHero)
    So cruel, But sadly true.
    Nature is cruel....and merciful

ReputationRep:
    End of the day, humanity is the only species that insists on fighting nature and keeping every last person alive even if they are living in the most retarded place and/or have such a bad medical history that god is almost telling us to let the poor bugger die. Combine this with the other fact that humanity is always trying to improve living conditions and you can quite quickly realise that very soon we will not be able to sustain the worlds population and our current economic system. SO either we cut back scum popping out kids or we prep to simply cull them later on.

True, but humanity insists on fighting these mechanisms and we are sadly becoming very good at it. Live in a dangerous area? Build safe homes. Live where food can not be grown? Import it!...and so on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    The places with the greatest difficulty are the places with the greatest trouble before we got there. We can hardly be blamed for what is a centuries long problem. Every civilisation that advanced as quickly as ours quickly began to colonise, and that includes countries like Egypt who were happy to rule over whole swathes of land and enslave inhabitants from far and wide. I simply don't accept this guilt, especially when we are long gone from the area. The winds of change blew in the 60s as you say, I was born in the 80s. It's as stupid as the people that expect present day Germans to say sorry for their grandparents behaviour during WWII.
    Africa and Latin America were no worse than Australia, North America and New Zealand pre-colonisation. The institutions we put in place while we were there are what have driven the differences.

That's precisely what we expect Germans to do, actually. That's why they foot the bill for everything in Europe. But that's perhaps a separate story.

ReputationRep:
    Judging by some of the posts on this thread, the world is certainly over-populated, by retards.

ReputationRep:
    As cruel as it sounds, a second plague is what humanity needs to lower the population, or WW3.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apagg)
    Africa and Latin America were no worse than Australia, North America and New Zealand pre-colonisation. The institutions we put in place while we were there are what have driven the differences.

That's precisely what we expect Germans to do, actually. That's why they foot the bill for everything in Europe. But that's perhaps a separate story.
    I would argue that it's the people we put and left in place that have driven the differences. Australia, North America, and New Zealand were flooded with Europeans and they have succeeded. Likewise, South America has its fair share of European ancestry and we are now beginning to see them get streets ahead of Africa. And the best/wealthiest place in Africa? South Africa, with around 10% of its population having European ancestry. I don't think it's a case of the institutions we put in place, it's more of a case of the places we stayed to run the institutions, because the locals were no where near ready to run them themselves, and may never be.

If you expect present day Germans to apologise for the crimes of their ancestors then you are a fool. And no one expects them to bail out the EU because of war crimes that happened generations ago, they ask them to pay because they are the strongest power in the Euro and have the most to lose from its collapse.

(Original post by No Man)
    As cruel as it sounds, a second plague is what humanity needs to lower the population, or WW3.
    And by guessing, you would prefer if this took place far away from your country and does not include your family and friends.

Humanity does not need a plague or world war. I would rather have overpopulation rather than having a war or plague. We need to reduce consumerism not human lives.

We have plenty of hypocrites on this overpopulation subject, ie David Attenborough. Although I love his documentaries, I find him a great hypocrite when he attacks for example the Catholic Filipinos, for giving birth to many children. Well David, you alone have a much greater carbon footprint and you waste far more resources than a whole family of Filipinos.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hardballer)
    Heres one of my favorite comedians on overpopulation and hes right
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wwcap...layer_embedded

It may not be politically correct to critisise the feckless breeding morons who are having 20 ****ing kids on their fat ass and then claiming benefits for them, or in third world countries where they can't even afford to feed them but that IS THE ****ING PROBLEM. Sure you can recycle, sure you can turn the televsion off standby but then you go and have a bunch of ****ing kids. Sure..one or two, or maybe three if you can afford it, but when you obviously can't afford it! wear a ****ing condom! I dont have to say much more as stanhope says it all perfectly. The main problem in the world above all, poverty, wars, and all that other stuff is overpopulation..because thats what brings on these problems..lack of resources.
    Moronic.

People in the 3rd world have more kids because otherwise there would be no one to look after them when they get older. They don't have the luxury of pensions and nursing homes like we do.

How do you explain that there's always been poverty and wars even when the world's population was nothing compared to what it is today?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garethDT)
    Moronic.

People in the 3rd world have more kids because otherwise there would be no one to look after them when they get older. They don't have the luxury of pensions and nursing homes like we do.
    Well maybe they should make some then dumbass

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    I would argue that it's the people we put and left in place that have driven the differences. Australia, North America, and New Zealand were flooded with Europeans and they have succeeded. Likewise, South America has its fair share of European ancestry and we are now beginning to see them get streets ahead of Africa. And the best/wealthiest place in Africa? South Africa, with around 10% of its population having European ancestry. I don't think it's a case of the institutions we put in place, it's more of a case of the places we stayed to run the institutions, because the locals were no where near ready to run them themselves, and may never be.

If you expect present day Germans to apologise for the crimes of their ancestors then you are a fool. And no one expects them to bail out the EU because of war crimes that happened generations ago, they ask them to pay because they are the strongest power in the Euro and have the most to lose from its collapse.
    I wondered how long it would be before the ugly taint of white supremacy spread to your posts. Europeans have stayed in those places where we built good institutions. All the countries which are ahead today are ahead because of the things we built, not because there are white people there. Some African nations which have changed their institutions (something which is very difficult to do) have started accelerating - Uganda, Nigeria and others are seeing high GDP growth without a white person in sight.
    (And Latin America is not "streets ahead of Africa". Individual countries are doing very well but plenty are still struggling with our legacy)

My second point was slightly tongue in cheek but if you think Germans spearheading European integration has nothing to do with WW2 guilt you're a fool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apagg)
    I wondered how long it would be before the ugly taint of white supremacy spread to your posts. Europeans have stayed in those places where we built good institutions. All the countries which are ahead today are ahead because of the things we built, not because there are white people there. Some African nations which have changed their institutions (something which is very difficult to do) have started accelerating - Uganda, Nigeria and others are seeing high GDP growth without a white person in sight.
    (And Latin America is not "streets ahead of Africa". Individual countries are doing very well but plenty are still struggling with our legacy)

My second point was slightly tongue in cheek but if you think Germans spearheading European integration has nothing to do with WW2 guilt you're a fool.
    He's also factually wrong about the most succesful country being South Africa. Botswana has a higher (real) GDP per capita than SA. Quite higher in fact. Something like $10,000 (SA) VS $15,000 (BO). 97% of the population there is non-White. And according to the HDI, SA is outranked by Botswana.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hardballer)
    Well maybe they should make some then dumbass
    Corrupt leaders embezzle tax funds and there are too many people in poverty in many African countries for it to be logistically feasible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apagg)

This isn't about white supremacy... it's about Latin, white, Asian, and sub-asian supremacy. You're argument is like the chicken and the egg - we are there because our institutions are there... and our institutions are there and working well because we are there. And Nigeria can hardly fail to do well with 100 million people and billions of dollars of natural resources. But it's still hardly got a thing on Brazil, Mexico, and the majority of our former colonies. It's not like we stuck around in India in any large numbers, but they adopted our institutions and they are thriving compared to the majority of Africa.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Godfrey)
    He's also factually wrong about the most succesful country being South Africa. Botswana has a higher (real) GDP per capita than SA. Quite higher in fact. Something like $10,000 (SA) VS $15,000 (BO). 97% of the population there is non-White. And according to the HDI, SA is outranked by Botswana.
    Botswana's GDP is more like 20th in the African league table.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...y_GDP_(nominal)

ReputationRep:
    We are exccerbting the problem by pumping in aid to these countries. We need to cut all aid and let nature sort out third world over population through natural wastage

ReputationRep:
    The percentage rate of population growth each year is declining [presumably due to falling birth rate in developing countries]. I was under the impression that it was revised down to peak at 9billion around 2050?

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.